Thread: Qt for linux OR Qt/Embedded??

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Question Qt for linux OR Qt/Embedded??

I am a newbie to Qt and am going to develop a qt app for an embedded device with linux as the platform. I need a FREE sdk to work on.

My question is - Which SDK should I use - Qt 4.5 sdk for linux or Qt/Embedded? I could not locate the Qt/Embedded sdk anywhere on the downloads page?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Qt for linux OR Qt/Embedded??

There is no separate SDK for embedded. You have to install Creator and Qt/Embedded independently. SDK is just Creator+Qt+MinGW. You'll want a compiler dedicated for your Linux platform anyway, so there would be no sense in having separate bundles for each possible embedded platform.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

3. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

GeorgeOfTheBush (14th May 2009)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Question Re: Qt for linux OR Qt/Embedded??

I have already downloaded and installed the complete Qt for Linux SDK. Can I develop apps on linux and then port them to the embedded device? If yes, what is the procedure? If you could point me to any other links/docs, that would be great.

Also, you have asked me to install Creator and Qt/Embedded independently. How do I do that?

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeOfTheBush View Post
    Can I develop apps on linux and then port them to the embedded device?
    Yes, with the exception that there are some classes that are available in one API not unavailable in the other.

If yes, what is the procedure?
    Implement your application on desktop, then install the crosscompiler toolchain for your device, download, build and install Qt/Embedded for the target platform, correct the code to use the proper API, build and deploy.

But there is another way - you can build Qt/Embedded for your desktop platform and test the application on the built-in emulator before rebuilding it for the target machine and deploying.

Also, you have asked me to install Creator and Qt/Embedded independently. How do I do that?
    Hmm... you download Qt Creator and install it and you download Qt/Embedded and install it. Or maybe I don't understand the question...
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Question Re: Qt for linux OR Qt/Embedded??

Thanks for your response. Exactly what I was looking for.

"you can build Qt/Embedded for your desktop platform and test the application on the built-in emulator before rebuilding it for the target machine and deploying."

How do I build Qt/Embedded for my linux plartform? I was of the opinion that only Qt/linux can only be built for my linux platform, not Qt/Embedded.

Do I need to download this file from the Qt site - http://get.qtsoftware.com/qt/source/...4.5.1.tar.gz?? (instead of the SDK for Qt/Linux)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Please read the docs from embedded and google a bit for answers. The topic is a bit too wide to discuss it on the forum. I'd have to quote almost whole articles from the docs. It'll be much faster if you just read it.