Thread: Changing Scrollbar behavior

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Unhappy Changing Scrollbar behavior

It's a sad day for me. Qt has at sometime changed the behavior or the scroll bar to have it so that if you move your too far to the left or the right, the thumb will go back to where you were when you first clicked it.

I always hated this! I rarely watch where my mouse it when scrolling with the thumb. I am usually paying attention to the contents and when you "fall off" the thumb, it makes it quite hard to find what you are looking for.

Is there a way to turn this behavior off? Just beause MS Windows does it doesn't mean I want to.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: Changing Scrollbar behavior

Quote Originally Posted by croftj View Post
    It's a sad day for me. Qt has at sometime changed the behavior or the scroll bar to have it so that if you move your too far to the left or the right, the thumb will go back to where you were when you first clicked it.
    As far as I know, Qt hasn't changed this behavior. It just works differently across platforms. On some platforms it is expected behavior whereas on some platforms it isn't. There is QStyle::PM_MaximumDragDistance to indicate whether this behavior is appropriate or not on the platform in question.

I always hated this! I rarely watch where my mouse it when scrolling with the thumb. I am usually paying attention to the contents and when you "fall off" the thumb, it makes it quite hard to find what you are looking for.

Is there a way to turn this behavior off? Just beause MS Windows does it doesn't mean I want to.
    Yes, with a [wiki]proxy style[/wiki]. Return -1 for QStyle::PM_MaximumDragDistance. Just be aware that Qt does this for a reason. Even if you might not like it, end-users are used to that.
    J-P Nurmi

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Smile Re: Changing Scrollbar behavior

Thankyou. I can at least turn it off. I have not noticed it in the X11 world till just now. Granted, most Qt programs in this world (X11) are Kde. Thankfully they remain unscathed. The best part is is that I can turn it off and be in scrollbar bliss knowing I can't fall of the stink'n thumb. It hurts don't ya know?

As far as user being used to it, I doubt 1 in 100 would notice if it changed. The only way I can see it being of any use is to do a quick compare between two sections of a scrollable area. Are there other ways? If so I would like to know if for no other reason than my own curiosity.