Thread: A little bit of a complaint - for the Administrators, perhaps?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default A little bit of a complaint - for the Administrators, perhaps?

I am a competent C++ programmer - C++ being one of the languages I use as a freelance developer. I'm looking at Qt for developing open source applications designed to run in linux. I'm really impressed by the information available on the Qt site as well as youtube (Qt channel) and ICS.

The home page of qtcentre, however, has a link to "The Independent Tutorial" - I tried following that tutorial and got stuck on line 6 of code!

The code in the tutorial triies to include qvbox.h, this is the directive: #include <qvbox.h>. This file does not exist on my machine - I am using qt 4.5 in linux.

My point is that a site such as this should not have a link to a tutorial that will stump someone new to Qt on the sixth line of code! I believe that the code is trying to use an obsolete header file and library - I have not bothered to look for any replacement to that file although I think it may be QVBoxLayout. I would like to suggest that the code should be updated or the link removed.

dreadnyah

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: A little bit of a complaint - for the Administrators, perhaps?

The same question was asked 2 years ago: http://www.qtcentre.org/forum/f-qt-p...boxh-6143.html

The tutorial you are following is for Qt3, and your using Qt4. Maybe the tutorial should be updated or removed, as you suggested.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Maybe it is not a good advice but you can always get Qt books in torrent or buy an electronic copy on Google books (cheaper than Amazon anyway).

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

There are several Qt books available with freely distributable license if you don't want to buy one from Amazon (eg. C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4, and Introduction to Design Patterns in C++ with Qt4). Sometimes they are not the latest edition, but they are still very valuable to some people.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by fatjuicymole View Post
    Maybe the tutorial should be updated or removed, as you suggested.
    I don't see why it should be removed. Some people still use Qt3.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Ok, how about stating in the link Qt3? That will stop some people using Qt4 from following it.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

I have already talked to Johan about it.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Thanks for all your replies and the advice on the books - I've got `C++ GUI Programming With Qt 4` and I am about to start using it.

I think that the link should be updated to state that it is a Qt3 tutorial. This would save a lot of frustration. For me the most unpleasant and difficult part of learning a new API is getting the starting point, bottom up. eg. like `How do I show & activate a window`, `How do I get a mouse event, such as the coords of a click event - which class & which member function` or `How do I get user input in a text box` It is at that point in my journey with Qt that I followed the link to the tutorial and then hit a wall - very frustrating. Perhaps if the link is changed to reflect Qt3 then a few people will be saved that frustration.

Once again, thank you for your replies and the advice on books.