Thread: Garbabe Collection

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Garbabe Collection

Not sure how to proceed and before getting in too deep I have a few questions. I will start with a small code example.

Qt Code:
    1. typedef struct mystructure {
    2. int x;
    4. QList<mystructure> children;
    5. } mystructure;
    7. QList<mystructure> mystructureList; // List of parent QTreeWidgetItem(s) only need these items as children references will be contained in mystructure
    8. QHash<QTreeWidgetItem *,mystructure> mystructureFromItem; // lookup hash using QTreeWidgetItem index for mystructure
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

My problem arises since I am not using pointers if I have already appended a mystructure to the QList and add more children after that fact they will not be stored.

If I Q_DECLARE_METATYPE(mystructure) I would have to implement == functionality for QList in order to use indexOf() features to just replace the entry with the updated data.

Should I just use a standard pointer linked list instead of forcing this into Qt mechanics? Or is there just something else I am missing?

Bob

EDIT: Forgot to add the question of making QList<mystructure> *mystructureList, and QList<mystructure> *children. In this case would I need to do my own memory release or would Qt's garbage collection take care of it?
    Last edited by coderbob; 19th November 2007 at 21:56.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Garbabe Collection

Why aren't you using pointers to mystructure? Internally, QList stores the items as pointers to the items you add. Since you are creating your mystructure objects on the stack of some function and you add them to the list, after their scope ends the QList will hold invalid references.

So, use pointers!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by coderbob View Post
    My problem arises since I am not using pointers if I have already appended a mystructure to the QList and add more children after that fact they will not be stored.
    Since you have a list of stuctures, not pointers, you can't store original object in the list. Instead, each time you add something to the list, a copy is created, so you have to change that copy.

Quote Originally Posted by coderbob View Post
    In this case would I need to do my own memory release or would Qt's garbage collection take care of it?
    You will have to delete them yourself. Qt deletes only objects it owns (like events) and children of deleted QObjects.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Thank you for the responses,

marcel, It is only a temporary tracking structure but having to worry about scope should be avoided and makes sense.

jacek, Sorry I went off on another line of thought and had to re-edit the original post about using pointers in a QList if I would need to do my own garbage collection or if Qt would handle it.

Bob