Thread: qmake not executable on buildplatform because it is compiled for the target :(

Qt products
    Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Unhappy qmake not executable on buildplatform because it is compiled for the target :(

Hello,

I try to crosscompile qtcore or qt-embedded for stlinux (sh4-g++).
    Now the configure- or buildprocess always fails with the errormessage ".../qmake: canot execute binary" because qmake wasalready compiled with the sh4-gcc crosscompiler and should be used on the x86 build platform.
    bye

chriwi

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: qmake not executable on buildplatform because it is compiled for the target :(

Build Qt for your desktop then as well and use its qmake to generate makefiles for the other platform.

Qt products
    Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: qmake not executable on buildplatform because it is compiled for the target :(

Hello Wysota,

I already thougt about this, but I canot imagine that this is the only possibility and canot be the intention of an automatic configuration for a crosscompilation.
    bye

chriwi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I don't really understand... That's a standard procedure with every cross compilation - you need tools that are built for the platform you are compiling on. It's like if you said this is a problem because you have to have the crosscompiler instead of having a single compiler building for all possible platforms and on all possible platforms.

Qt products
    Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Lightbulb Re: qmake not executable on buildplatform because it is compiled for the target :(

Hello wysota,

probably you are right, I am new to crosscompilation or at least to crosscompilation where you have to build your own tools before I only used Crosscompilers where the complete toolchain cam from the CVS.
    I alredy noticed the fact that here alsosome tools have to be build for the system I compile on, I was only starteled that this is not both part of one configure- or makeprocess and that the binaries for the different platforms are not kept apart in differen directories like /bin/host and /bin/trget.

thank you for your help
    bye

chriwi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by chriwi View Post
    probably you are right, I am new to crosscompilation or at least to crosscompilation where you have to build your own tools before I only used Crosscompilers where the complete toolchain cam from the CVS.
    Did it come as sources or as binary? If the former, then that's the exact same situation - you need to build a tool from sources for the correct platform. The difference might be that tools you used were meant for a single platform. In case of Qt and friends the same set of sources is meant to work on all platforms.