Thread: How to draw background for editor widget created by QStyledItemDelegate

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Question How to draw background for editor widget created by QStyledItemDelegate

Hello

I've got following question:
    I have a view displaying some progress through a custom delegate subclassed from QStyledItemDelegate. I create a QSlider to edit the progress.

The problem is, that each editor widget has to draw its own background, and has to overdraw the old one. So I set the setAutofill property of the slider to true, and get the result showed in the screenshot (background is one solid colour, but I want it to match the rest of the row).

If I don't set the autofill property the background is not drawn at all, and I can see the progressbar drawn under the slider.

I tried to intercept paint events to the slider and draw the background myself using QStyle()::drawPrimitive( QStyle::PE_PanelItemViewItem, &option, painter ), but this doesn't result in good results because I do not have the correct QStyleOptionViewItemV4 object (selection state etc. is not correct, because this is usually set by the view IMHO).

So how can I draw the correct background for the slider without having to filter tons of events to find out the correct state of the item.

Thanks in advance,
    Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: How to draw background for editor widget created by QStyledItemDelegate

Try testing QStyleOption::state for QStyle::State_Editing.
    J-P Nurmi

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: How to draw background for editor widget created by QStyledItemDelegate

I've tried to check for this state, but apparently this state is never set.
    I also tried to not to paint the progress bar (but the background) when the item is for example selected, and then the editor is displayed correctly (but no progress bar is displayed when the user selects a row...).

So I think the problem is that views don't initialize the provided option appropriately. I could however store the QModelIndex of the currently edited item (in createEditor), and then test for that in the paint method. But this would obviously be a hack, and I would like to avoid that.

Thomas

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms

You mustn't store QModelIndexes but you would have to store expensive QPersistentModelIndexes. Anyway, instead of storing edited model index to the delegate, I'd make the delegate aware of the view (parent) and check if QAbstractItemView::state() corresponds to QAbstractItemView::EditingState and QAbstractItemView::currentIndex() corresponds to the passed QModelIndex parameter.

PS. It seems that QListView is the only view which actually sets QStyle::State_Editing.
    J-P Nurmi

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I tried to check the views state, but QAbstractItemView::state() and the QAbsractItemView::State enum are both protected. So I can't access them from within the delegate.

As only the QListView sets QStyle::State_Editing correctly, could one assume that that's a Qt bug? I mean before Qt 4.4 where QStyledItemDelegate became the default it was no problem to draw the background from within the editing widget, as the background was only one solid colour. But now, with the new delegate, the background has gradients etc. drawn on it, and the QStyle::State_Editing flag would be very useful to prevent delegates from drawing the actual content while in editing mode.

If you also think that that's a Qt bug I will submit a new bug, but I really think that it should not be as hard to draw a standard background while in editing mode.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms

Yeah, I agree. QStyle::State_Editing should be set by all views.
    J-P Nurmi