Thread: I need help installing QT4.4.0 Open Source on Windows, to compile with Visual Studio

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default I need help installing QT4.4.0 Open Source on Windows, to compile with Visual Studio

I've tried a certain guide I found online, on pc-maniac, and have gotten a lot of problems.
    I am right now in the process of redoing it all from scratch, including erasing and redownloading QT4.4.0, and I want to know if there is a guide out there that suites my needs.
    Again, I want to install QT4.4.0 OPEN SOURCE, on Windows, to use with Visual Studio 2008.

P.S - I found this guide on the QtCentre Wiki
    http://wiki.qtcentre.org/index.php?t..._Visual_Studio
    and I want to know if this suites my needs and if it'll work, since I see this is targeted for version 4.3.2.
    I understand I do not need to install the patch mentioned, but then again, the steps mentioned there are quite similar to what I've originally done, which ended up very messy.

Thanks ahead.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: I need help installing QT4.4.0 Open Source on Windows, to compile with Visual Stu

So what's your real problem?
    The wiki article states that you don't need the patch anymore.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: I need help installing QT4.4.0 Open Source on Windows, to compile with Visual Stu

Well,
    I would get a large number of U1077's while doing the nmake, until I flagged it with /I to ignore all exit codes.
    After installing I would get a ton of linker errors while using the MSVC compiler and a PRJ0019 error while trying to use MinGW.
    Thats why I want to reinstall.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by AlonL View Post
    Thats why I want to reinstall.
    Still don't know what problem you've - why can't you reinstall it? What's wrong with the wiki page?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Well, the wiki page is very unclear since it speaks of steppes that are done with files included in the patch, and I can't differentiate which steppes I should be doing and which not.
    I'm trying to follow it as precisely as I can, and still things go wrong, I just got U1077 errors while configuring, which is MUCH earlier than I would have before, while using nmake.
    I seriously have no idea whats wrong, and I just wish there was a normal, accurate, up to date guide I could follow.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Funny
    When you don't need the patch anymore you also don't need to do something with some files which come from the patch. Is this so hard to understand??

And when you get errors during compile/configuration it would be very helpfull to show us the errors instead crying around that it doesn't work.

/edit: You can also have a look at the Qt-Documentation: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/install-win.html

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Listen, I'm not an idiot, its pretty obvious that if the files are included in the patch, I shouldn't be using them if I don't need the patch, but if you've read the guide, you've probably seen that its not that simple at all, some of the steppes are pretty ambiguous as to their cause an origin, and you're left with no idea whether or not you should be performing them.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Feel free to fix it - it's a wiki open for everyone. And the Qt documentation should be helpfull too.
    And you still did not tell us what errors you get...

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Let me figure out how to solve my own problems first, thats one.
    Two, I have mentioned the types of errors I've received, you want specific ones?
    Here:
    Qt Code:
    1. ..\WebKit\qt\Api\qwebpage.cpp : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database
    2. 'c:\qt4.4.0\src\3rdparty\webkit\webcore\vc90.pdb'
    3. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN
    4. \cl.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
    5. Stop.
    6. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN
    7. \nmake.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
    8. Stop.
    9. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN
    10. \nmake.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
    11. Stop.
    12. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
    13. Stop.
    14. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN
    15. \nmake.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
    16. Stop.
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I don't think that this is the first error you get. Subsequent errors are useless
    But - is c:\qt4.4.0\src\3rdparty\webkit\webcore\vc90.pdb available and accessible?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Yes, it is.
    And after adding the /i flag to ignore errors, I'm actually not getting the first error, but getting the U1077's, which is odd since I've already done the /i thingie before and it has worked...
    Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh, wait, I just scrolled up some, the 1033s are still there, about 6-7 of them, all referring to the vc90.pdb file, but from different source files
    Qt Code:
    1. kernel\qaction.cpp : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database 'c:\qt4.4.0
    2. \src\gui\vc90.pdb'
    3. qactiongroup.cpp
    4. kernel\qactiongroup.cpp : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database 'c:\qt
    5. 4.4.0\src\gui\vc90.pdb'
    6. qapplication.cpp
    7. kernel\qapplication.cpp : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database 'c:\qt
    8. 4.4.0\src\gui\vc90.pdb'
    9. qboxlayout.cpp
    10. kernel\qboxlayout.cpp : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database 'c:\qt4.
    11. 4.0\src\gui\vc90.pdb'
    12. qclipboard.cpp
    13. kernel\qclipboard.cpp : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database 'c:\qt4.
    14. 4.0\src\gui\vc90.pdb'
    15. qcursor.cpp
    16. kernel\qcursor.cpp : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database 'c:\qt4.4.0
    17. \src\gui\vc90.pdb'
    18. qdrag.cpp
    19. kernel\qdrag.cpp : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database 'c:\qt4.4.0\s
    20. rc\gui\vc90.pdb'
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

You really should find the first error message

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I'm dumping the output to a file right now, will attach when its finished.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Its been running for a while now without any problem, I'm pretty sure I've actually gone past the problematic part, and the dump is almost 2MB in size now.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Goddammit, it was running fine till it BSOD'D
    Crap... All over again.
    Update: It's jammed again, same error, same type and name of file - vc90.pdb, different location and size.
    Sigh.

Maybe I should backstep to 4.3.2
    Last edited by AlonL; 9th June 2008 at 15:31.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Look, it comes down to this, the problem IS the C1033, theres no other explanation.
    It keeps happening with the different vc90.pdb files in the package.
    Any ideas?
    EDIT:
    The source of the problem seems to be that there are multiple compiles going on at once (?)
    I have no idea how the nmake compiles the libs, but I can clearly see several nmake processes open at once.
    Definite access problems.
    Clues anyone?
    Last edited by AlonL; 9th June 2008 at 16:28.

Some people have reported problems when compiling using multiple processes. The solution to that is that u specify that u want only one process to compile by using -MP switch and putting it in the qmake spec with the appropriate QMAKESPEC variable (example win32-mscv2008).

p.s.: I have successfully compiled qt 4.4 using 2 threads with visual studio 2008 and had no problems with it.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

I've a quick quide on setting up and using Qt on windows.
    If you use vs2005 be sure to install some updates since that can cause you grievance otherwise.

http://kjell.hedstrom.googlepages.co...o_express_2005