Thread: Frame buffer background during splash screen

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Frame buffer background during splash screen

I've been using QtEmbedded 4.4.3 on Linux using the framebuffer (no X) and whenever my application starts, it display a splash screen. That works fine but what bugs me is that the default color for the rest of the display is a bright green. Is there anyway to specify the initial frame buffer color?

Also, when my application exits, the screen is cleared and the same green screen is displayed and I cannot get back to a command line prompt and my keyboard/mouse is useless (unresponsive) and I have to reset the machine. Any thoughts on that as well would be appreciated.

-Mic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: Frame buffer background during splash screen

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I've been using QtEmbedded 4.4.3 on Linux using the framebuffer (no X) and whenever my application starts, it display a splash screen. That works fine but what bugs me is that the default color for the rest of the display is a bright green. Is there anyway to specify the initial frame buffer color?
    See QWSServer::setBackground().
    J-P Nurmi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Frame buffer background during splash screen

Thanks J-P! That worked well.

Still reading about QWSServer. Perhaps this is what is still running when my application closes and the keyboard is unresponsive. Should I have to tell the QWSServer to exit as well?

Another thing I noticed is that when my application is running, I cannot change to virtual terminals anymore using CTRL-ALT-F[whatever]. Is the QWSServer causing this as well?

-Mic

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Switching virtual terminals (was: Frame buffer background during splash screen)

Update. I found out why my app was hanging on exit. It seems that when my app is exiting, it wants to issue...

system( "poweroff" );

and my busybox installation doesn't handle that well. Some message about trying to kill init that I'll work around later. Now I have a command line option to bypass this and it works as one would expect.

As for not being able to do CTRL-ALT-F[whatever] to change virtual terminals, I'm still working on that, but it seems that I need some sort of keyboard filter to detect it and some sort of command/method to switch virtual terminals???

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Mic