Thread: Need help installing / configuring

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Need help installing / configuring

Hy, I'm a QT beginner, I tried to install and run it today on my Windows machine, but despite my best efforts and to my disappointment only caused lots of wasted hours. I tried everything possible, but this thing is impossible to start.

Okay, so after a day of work, I figured out how to set up most of it. I've gotten to the part where everything needed is in the path, I generated the project, the source files and the Makefile (with qmake). The only thing that doesn't work is the last step. I tried with nmake, i got this error:

Qt Code:
    1. e:/Qt/qt/bin\moc.exe -DUNICODE -DWIN32 -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -
    2. DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I"..\..\Qt\qt\include\QtCore" -I"
    3. ..\..\Qt\qt\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\Qt\qt\include" -I"." -I"..\..\Qt\qt\include\
    4. ActiveQt" -I"debug" -I"." -I"..\..\qt\qt\mkspecs\win32-msvc2005" -D_MSC_VER=1400
    5. -DWIN32 myqtapp.h -o debug\moc_myqtapp.cpp
    6. cl -c -nologo -Zm200 -Zc:wchar_t- -Zi -MDd -GR -EHsc -W3 -w34100 -w34189
    7. -DUNICODE -DWIN32 -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -D
    8. QT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I"..\..\Qt\qt\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\Qt\qt\include\QtGui" -
    9. I"..\..\Qt\qt\include" -I"." -I"..\..\Qt\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I"debug" -I"." -I
    10. "..\..\qt\qt\mkspecs\win32-msvc2005" -Fodebug\ @C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Te
    11. mp\nm17F.tmp
    12. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\c
    13. l.EXE"' : return code '0xc0000135'
    14. Stop.
    15. NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\n
    16. make.exe"' : return code '0x2'
    17. Stop.
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Then I installed mingw, this one gave the following error:

Qt Code:
    1. E:\qttest\myqtapp>mingw32-make
    2. mingw32-make -f Makefile.Debug
    3. mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `E:/qttest/myqtapp'
    4. Makefile.Debug:61: *** missing separator. Stop.
    5. mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `E:/qttest/myqtapp'
    6. mingw32-make: *** [debug] Error 2

The source files are taken from this tutorial, unmodified. The env. variables are set like the instructions said. Searched google, tried setting the path with vcvarsall.bat, reinstalled 2 times, but I can't figure it out, and I can't spend one more day on this, it's hard for me to understand why it needs to be so complicated.

Thx for your help.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Need help installing / configuring

Okay, so if i read correctly, the free version of QT only works with mingw (yes, i have the free licensed)? This might be the problem with nmake, but why doesn't mingw give error? Does the source have errors?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Okay, so if i read correctly, the free version of QT only works with mingw (yes, i have the free licensed)?
    No, you can also compile your own Qt libs with msvc. These libs work fine with Visual Studio.
    I compiled x86 and x64 and use it with VS 2008 Professional and the Qt VS Add-in. This setup utilizes the VS build system, which I prefer to the qmake/nmake scenario.

As for your mingw32-make problem: did you run qmake again to generate Makefiles for mingw? I expect them to be different from the msvc Makefiles. And I would try to run make against "Makefile" rather than "Makefile.Debug".

By the way: If you want to experiment with Qt, why not start with the QtCreator IDE? It is part of the binary-SDK for Windows and works out of the box. And it brings its own mingw-Version with it.
    Last edited by dbf; 2nd April 2009 at 09:53.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Okay, I talked to someone and he sent some instructions on how to use it in VS. I'll try to do this.

Yes, i remade with qmake for mingw.

I tried to QTCreator, but since it's kinda new, no one talked or wrote about it, so I just figured I'll go the classic way

Thx for the help.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I am having simliar problems. I want to use PyQt. Its documentation says that I need to have installed SIP and also Python. So I installed Python2.6.1 today. Then I started to install SIP. I managed to configure it by adding a copy of the Python interpreter in my SIP folder. But I am stuck with building SIP. The README says "The next step is to build SIP by running your platform's make command. For example:
    Qt Code:
    1. make
    The final step is to install SIP by running the following command:
    Qt Code:
    1. make install

However, "make" doesn't work for me. Im on windows, and simply using "make" doesnt work, in my SIP directory. I also tried nmake and qmake, but they don't work either. How am I supposed to install this?