Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debugger helper

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Debugger helper

Hello, I am using Qt 4.5.2 and QtCreator 1.2 on Windows XP.

There is a problem with Debugger helper:

Here are my Qt4 options:

And this checkbox is always resetted (even if check it and press OK):

Can anyone explain how to enable debugger helper?
    Thanks in advance.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by kamre View Post
    Hello, I am using Qt 4.5.2 and QtCreator 1.2 on Windows XP.

There is a problem with Debugger helper:

Here are my Qt4 options:

And this checkbox is always resetted (even if check it and press OK):

Can anyone explain how to enable debugger helper?
    Thanks in advance.
    Same configuration, same problems.

So far I couldn't find any solution...

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

How nice, I made the debugger helper working under windows (latest QT release 4.5.2, QTCreator 1.2.0).

- Tools->Options->Debugger->Cdb (click under the link "Debugging Tools for Windows") and Install the debugger tools

- Tools->Options->Debugger->Cdb->autodetect
    - Tools->Options->Debugger->Debugger helper-> Debug Debugger helper

and now it works!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by chal61 View Post
    How nice, I made the debugger helper working under windows (latest QT release 4.5.2, QTCreator 1.2.0).

- Tools->Options->Debugger->Cdb (click under the link "Debugging Tools for Windows") and Install the debugger tools

and now it works!
    Hi,

Thanks for the tip: only partial success here.

I run Qt Creator 1.2.0 based on Qt 4.5.2 (32 bit) (pre-compiled binaries) on XP SP3. Installed the MS Dbg tools for Win (in a custom folder, so I could not use "Autodetect" but entered the CDB path directly).

Result: I get reasonably complete data about Qt objects the first time I debug an app in a Qt session (note: reasonably complete, not totally).

But when the app finishes and I try to re-run it, I get the old, un-populated obejct data again. I have to stop Qt Creator, re-start it and debug again: not really convenient...

Something is definitely missing...

Miwarre

P.S.: I am surprised that so few people complain about this very important fact: does (almost) nobody debug his/her apps?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by miwarre View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the tip: only partial success here.

I run Qt Creator 1.2.0 based on Qt 4.5.2 (32 bit) (pre-compiled binaries) on XP SP3. Installed the MS Dbg tools for Win (in a custom folder, so I could not use "Autodetect" but entered the CDB path directly).

Result: I get reasonably complete data about Qt objects the first time I debug an app in a Qt session (note: reasonably complete, not totally).

But when the app finishes and I try to re-run it, I get the old, un-populated obejct data again. I have to stop Qt Creator, re-start it and debug again: not really convenient...

Something is definitely missing...

Miwarre

P.S.: I am surprised that so few people complain about this very important fact: does (almost) nobody debug his/her apps?
    Use 1.2.1. Several bugs related to debugging have been fixed there, among them the "vanishing checkmark" and the "faulty second run"

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

and now it works!
    That's probably pure accident. The comments in the code regarding "Debug Debugging helpers" suggest that this was intended for internal use only and
    not meant to be present in a "release" build.

Try to use version 1.2.1. That has several critical fixes in that area.

7. The following user says thank you to ktk for this useful post:

miwarre (1st August 2009)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thumbs up Re: Debugger helper

Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
    Try to use version 1.2.1. That has several critical fixes in that area.
    Oooops, I failed to notice Creator 1.2.1! Installed and things are much better.

Thanks,

M.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I also have this problem on openSUSE 11.1, KDE 4.2.2 (110), Qt 4.1.1, QtCreator 1.2.1 - i.e. I can't see contents of QStrings, etc. (forced to use qDebug() << ....).

Does anyone have the magic bullet for linux/openSUSE/KDE?

The message "Debugging helpers not found" (along with the inability to use helpers) persists even though "Rebuild" seems to be a success and the libraries (and links) seem to be in the right place; log output is :

Building debugging helper library in /home/jdcook/qtcreator-1.2.1/bin/../qtc-debugging-helper/224418/

Running /usr/bin/make clean...
    rm -f gdbmacros.o
    rm -f *~ core *.core

Running /usr/bin/qmake ...

Running /usr/bin/make ...
    g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DUSE_QT_GUI=0 -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/QtCore -I/usr/include -I. -I. -o gdbmacros.o gdbmacros.cpp
    rm -f libgdbmacros.so.1.0.0 libgdbmacros.so libgdbmacros.so.1 libgdbmacros.so.1.0
    g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libgdbmacros.so.1 -o libgdbmacros.so.1.0.0 gdbmacros.o -L/usr/lib -lQtCore -L/usr/lib -lz -lm -pthread -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0 -ldl -lpthread
    ln -s libgdbmacros.so.1.0.0 libgdbmacros.so
    ln -s libgdbmacros.so.1.0.0 libgdbmacros.so.1
    ln -s libgdbmacros.so.1.0.0 libgdbmacros.so.1.0

Qt products
    Qt4

I think this was have something to do with administrator privilages on the computer.
    I am having the same problem (debugger helper does not work despite green checkmark).
    I tried rebuilding it as well, and my log file shows the same thing

Thanks

This exact problem from the original post seems to still exist in latest version of QT Creator (1.3.1). Unable to rebuild the debugging helper, and get what look to be the same errors.

and now it works!
    Followed these steps up until the last one, which no longer seems to be present in QTCreator, and it still complains about no debugger helper being present and will not show me the values of variables. Really terribly frustrating that it isn't even straight forward to do basic things like debug a QT application...
    Last edited by wysota; 12th March 2010 at 09:30.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Thinking that something can't be done because I'm unable to do it is a very egocentric approach. Please don't do that.

You are using MSVC as your compiler, right?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
    This exact problem from the original post seems to still exist in latest version of QT Creator (1.3.1). Unable to rebuild the debugging helper, and get what look to be the same errors.

Followed these steps up until the last one, which no longer seems to be present in QTCreator, and it still complains about no debugger helper being present and will not show me the values of variables. Really terribly frustrating that it isn't even straight forward to do basic things like debug a QT application...
    First of all, debugging works independently of the existence of the Debugging Helpers. They "only" provide a means to get a more direct display of types like QString, QHash, std::map etc. Without them you still have access to all your data.

Second, http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-creator/p...AskedQuestions does contain an answer to the question "The debugger does not work. What kind of information is helpful? "

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Hi everyone!

I read this topic and many other, but still can't understand how fix this trouble "debugging helpers not found".
    I have latest version of SDK Qt(4.6.2) and Qt Creator(2.0 beta -newer than SDK) to date:
    qt ver..jpg

Firstly I see to this, seems that's all right:
    qt options..jpg
    Secondly:
    qt debugger help&#1.jpg

Elseone rebuilt qtc-debugger-helper:
    Building debugging helper library in d:/Qt/2010.02.1/qt/qtc-debugging-helper/

Running d:/qt/2010.02.1/qt/bin/qmake.exe ...

Running D:/Qt/2010.02.1/mingw/bin/mingw32-make.exe ...
    D:/Qt/2010.02.1/mingw/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.Debug all
    mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `d:/Qt/2010.02.1/qt/qtc-debugging-helper'
    g++ -c -g -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DUSE_QT_GUI=1 -DHAS_QOBJECT_P_H -DQT_DLL -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I'../include/QtCore' -I'../include/QtGui' -I'../include' -I'../include/ActiveQt' -I'tmp/moc/debug_shared' -I'../mkspecs/win32-g++' -o tmp/obj/debug_shared/gdbmacros.o gdbmacros.cpp
    gdbmacros.cpp: In member function '<unnamed>::QDumper&<unnamed>::QDumper:ut(long long unsigned int)':
    gdbmacros.cpp:580: warning: unknown conversion type character 'l' in format
    gdbmacros.cpp:580: warning: too many arguments for format
    gdbmacros.cpp: In member function '<unnamed>::QDumper&<unnamed>::QDumper:ut(long long int)':
    gdbmacros.cpp:587: warning: unknown conversion type character 'l' in format
    gdbmacros.cpp:587: warning: too many arguments for format
    gdbmacros.cpp: At global scope:
    gdbmacros.cpp:276: warning: 'bool<unnamed>::couldBePointer(const void*)' defined but not used
    g++ -enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc -shared -mthreads -Wl -Wl,--out-implib,debug/libgdbmacros.a -o debug/gdbmacros.dll tmp/obj/debug_shared/gdbmacros.o -L'd:/Qt/2010.02.1/qt/lib' -L'd:/Qt/2010.02.1/qt/lib' -lQtGuid4 -lQtCored4
    Creating library file: debug/libgdbmacros.a
    mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `d:/Qt/2010.02.1/qt/qtc-debugging-helper'
    D:/Qt/2010.02.1/mingw/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.Release all
    mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `d:/Qt/2010.02.1/qt/qtc-debugging-helper'
    g++ -c -O2 -frtti -fexceptions -mthreads -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DUSE_QT_GUI=1 -DHAS_QOBJECT_P_H -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I'../include/QtCore' -I'../include/QtGui' -I'../include' -I'../include/ActiveQt' -I'tmp/moc/release_shared' -I'../mkspecs/win32-g++' -o tmp/obj/release_shared/gdbmacros.o gdbmacros.cpp
    gdbmacros.cpp: In member function '<unnamed>::QDumper&<unnamed>::QDumper:ut(long long unsigned int)':
    gdbmacros.cpp:580: warning: unknown conversion type character 'l' in format
    gdbmacros.cpp:580: warning: too many arguments for format
    gdbmacros.cpp: In member function '<unnamed>::QDumper&<unnamed>::QDumper:ut(long long int)':
    gdbmacros.cpp:587: warning: unknown conversion type character 'l' in format
    gdbmacros.cpp:587: warning: too many arguments for format
    gdbmacros.cpp: At global scope:
    gdbmacros.cpp:276: warning: 'bool<unnamed>::couldBePointer(const void*)' defined but not used
    g++ -enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc -Wl,-s -shared -mthreads -Wl -Wl,--out-implib,release/libgdbmacros.a -o release/gdbmacros.dll tmp/obj/release_shared/gdbmacros.o -L'd:/Qt/2010.02.1/qt/lib' -L'd:/Qt/2010.02.1/qt/lib' -lQtGui4 -lQtCore4
    Creating library file: release/libgdbmacros.a
    mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `d:/Qt/2010.02.1/qt/qtc-debugging-helper'

But still have same message, and still can't see Qt types values in watch:
    qt debugger..jpg
    Last edited by Nickolay; 8th June 2010 at 14:45.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi there,
    I'm also having difficulty with the debug helper for Qt creator version 1.3.1, installed using Qt2010.02 windows installer (installed onto Windows XP SP2). I have removed all previous versions of Qt from the computer, there is no MSVC installed.
    The debug helper compiles, giving the little green tick, but when running in debug mode, it says the helper is not available. I have reinstalled again from scratch, but with no effect. I have no problems with my Mandriva 2010 Linux installation, and had no problems debugging with the previous version creator 1.0 (Qt2009.01).