Thread: Maximize width of items in QGraphicsLinearLayout

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Maximize width of items in QGraphicsLinearLayout

Here is my setup. I have a custom QGraphicsItem (FooItem) containing a QWebView embedded in a QGraphicsProxyWidget.

I would like to arrange my FooItems in a vertical QGraphicsLinearLayout so that their width is always the width of the QGraphicsView (when resized).

What is the best way of accomplishing this? I have tried several different approaches, but have been unsuccessful.

Currently, I have a custom QGraphicsLayoutItem (FooLayoutItem) which sets its item as FooItem so that it can be managed by a layout. I have a QGraphicsWidget, which I resize to fit the QGV's width when it is resized. I assign my layout to that widget, and add my FooLayoutItems to it.

The items are arranged vertically, but the webviews are not stretched horizontally. I suspect the problem lies with FooLayoutItem's sizeHint(). How can I know the QGV's width in that function so that I can return the correct size?

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Maximize width of items in QGraphicsLinearLayout

sizeHint() is not as relevant here as the sizePolicy(). This is something you should concentrate on.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I have tried both the following (from inside the qgraphicsview):

Qt Code:
    1. mLayout->setMinimumWidth(width());
    2. mLayout->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::MinimumExpanding, QSizePolicy::Minimum);
    4. layoutItem->setMinimumWidth(width());
    5. layoutItem->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::MinimumExpanding, QSizePolicy::Minimum);
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

I have also tried various other combinations such as QSizePolicy::Minimum and QSizePolicy::Expanding, etc. They are still not fitting the view's width horizontally. Any hints as to what I may be doing wrong?

Does Qt automatically handle the resizing from then on, or must I manually resize the QWebView from somewhere inside my FooItem?

Thank you for your help.

Edit: I have also tried setting the minimum width to viewport()->width() and scene()->width(). Neither have produced any effect.
    Last edited by haTem; 24th May 2009 at 09:29.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Could you provide a compilable example reproducing the problem?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I have attached an example that shows the problem I am having. Thanks again for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Your ChatItem should either be a QGraphicsWidget itself with a layout applied and the webview component inside that layout or you should use QGraphicsWidgetProxy directly, without additional items.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I'm planning on having other components (say, a Polygon) attached to the webview that might need to draw a small part of themselves on top of it, which is why I opted to not make ChatItem a QGraphicsWidget with a layout. If I added these polygons to the layout, I assume the layout would position them in such a way that no part of them are drawn on top of the webview.

Could I perhaps "lie" when reporting the polygon's boundingRect, such that the part that needs to draw on top of the webview is not included?

I suppose if that doesn't work, I can just increase the layout's spacing, and manually insert the polygons in the space between the layout's items, although that seems like an ugly hack :P.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

If you decided to use QGraphicsWidgets, you should do that consistently - all your items should inherit QGraphicsWidget and they should use layouts. If, at some point you want to use a "non-widget" item, then you have to provide layouting functionality for its parent. I implemented something like a proxy item for regular graphics items that allows you to control a regular item inside the graphics-widgets world. You should do something similar.