Thread: How to configure Qt to work with MinGW-64?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default How to configure Qt to work with MinGW-64?

I'd like to use Qt with MinGW 64. I read the following links but I've got some questions
    Installing Qt/Windows
    configure Options (Qt)

What do I need to do to configure Qt? I think I need to do 'configure -platform ...', but don't know what exactly to put there.

My MinGW-64 download has g++ and gcc commands, but didn't come with any 'make' command. How should I build with it? Is the lack of a 'make' command a problem? [edit: I was directed to just use mingw32-make, which should work]

Also I've set my PATH environment variable to include the mingw-64\bin folder, and it works from normal cmd command prompt, but the path isn't recognized Qt command prompt. I have to manually set PATH= inside the Qt prompt. How do I have the Qt command prompt initialize with the mingw-64\bin path as well as qt\bin?
    Last edited by Skywalker; 8th July 2009 at 03:15.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: How to configure Qt to work with MinGW-64?

try to put win32-g++..
    as for the make ... you can create a batch file make.bat which calls mingw-make or something..

what do you mean by qt command prompt? the qt sources do not come with a command prompt.. so it should work

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

'configure -platform win32-g++' starts, but gives me the error:
    make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
    mingw32-make: *** [project.o] Error 2
    Building qmake failed, return code 2
    By command prompt I mean the Qt command prompt which sets up the MinGW/Qt environment.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

are u using qt sdk or qt library source?
    sdk wont work.. use source

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    By command prompt I mean the Qt command prompt which sets up the MinGW/Qt environment.
    ya i ment the same... its just a batch file which calls cmd.exe... but this file only comes with a sdk and not with source.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by MrDeath View Post
    are u using qt sdk or qt library source?
    sdk wont work.. use source
    I'm using SDK v2009.03. I'm on Windows - Vista 64. I'm afraid I'm not even sure where to get source Didn't see a link on the download page.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks. I'd actually prefer to use the SDK, though I'd be willing to try just the source. However I actually see that qtenv.bat, "win32-g++" is already the QMAKESPEC. What I'd like is to change it to mingw-w64 (mingw-w64\bin\mingw32-make.exe is the make command on my computer, mingw-w64\bin\x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++.exe and C:\mingw-w64\bin\x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc.exe are the compilers).

I tried editing qtenv.bat to "set QMAKESPEC=x86_64-w64-mingw32" and "set QMAKESPEC=c:\mingw-w64\bin\x86_64-w64-mingw32" but the programs being compiled were still using the 32 bit compiler.

"configure -platform c:\mingw-w64\bin\x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++" and "configure -platform x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++" both give me "Invalid option "c:\mingw-w64\bin\x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++" for -platform." type errors.

Should I uninstall the SDK and try to run configure again with the source, and/or is there something else I should be using other than x86_64-w64-mingw32?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Alternatively, is there a temporary modification I can make to the Makefile to have it build with MinGW-64? I need to be getting some work done

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

try everything you mentioned with source only... the sdk comes precompiled and QtCreator etc are dependent on it.. if you configure it again .. they will break... we have seen a lot of ppl having problems with sdk when they try to change it (for example use it with msvc).
    Theotrically SDKs are standalone products and they should not be changed.

so first try win32-g++ with Qt source and make sure that no mingw(32bit) compiler is present on your machine.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I uninstalled the SDK and installed 4.5.2. During installation I pointed it to the location of MinGW 64 though it said it couldn't locate g++, I guess because it was looking for the 32 bit filename. Renaming the file might be an option there anyway.

I ran 'configure -platform win32-g++' but I'm getting the same error as with the SDK.

"make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
    mingw32-make: *** [project.o] Error 2
    Building qmake failed, return code 2"

Also when I try to launch Assistant, Demos, etc. I get the error "mingwm10.dll was not found". I searched in the mingw-w64 folder and there's no such DLL, the only DLLs are libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll, lissp-0.dll, and libssp.dll.a.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    I uninstalled the SDK and installed 4.5.2. During installation I pointed it to the location of MinGW 64
    are you sure you are using the sources? did you downloaded the 4.5.2 exe file? if yes then download the source here

http://get.qtsoftware.com/qt/source/...-src-4.5.2.zip

13. The following user says thank you to nish for this useful post:

Skywalker (9th July 2009)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Whoops you're - I read the wrong post in the thread you directed me to - saw the one about "right column", missed your post with the link.

I actually got the same error as before however. This time it occurred to me to copy 'x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++.exe' to 'g++.exe', and surprisingly that actually seems to have worked in bypassing that particular error. Must have been the problem since the start.

After I uninstalled 4.5.2, I unzipped and ran 'configure -platform win32-g++'. It ran for a while but fails with the error message:
    C:\Qt/src/corelib/tools/qdatetime.cpp: In function 'void localToUtc(QDate&, QTim
    e&, int)':
    C:\Qt/src/corelib/tools/qdatetime.cpp:3768:12: error: '_tzset' was not declared
    in this scope
    C:\Qt/src/corelib/tools/qdatetime.cpp: In member function 'QString QDateTimePars
    er::sectionText(const QString&, int, int) const':
    C:\Qt/src/corelib/tools/qdatetime.cpp:4424:10: warning: case label value is less
    than minimum value for type
    C:\Qt/src/corelib/tools/qdatetime.cpp:4425:10: warning: case label value is less
    C:\Qt/src/corelib/tools/qdatetime.cpp:4426:10: warning: case label value is less
    C:\Qt/src/corelib/tools/qdatetime.cpp: In member function 'QString QDateTimePars
    er::sectionText(int) const':
    C:\Qt/src/corelib/tools/qdatetime.cpp:4438:10: warning: case label value is less
    C:\Qt/src/corelib/tools/qdatetime.cpp:4439:10: warning: case label value is less
    C:\Qt/src/corelib/tools/qdatetime.cpp:4440:10: warning: case label value is less
    mingw32-make: *** [qdatetime.o] Error 1

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

looks like only Mr. Wysota or Google can help you now.. I dont have 64machine.. cant test myselft sorry

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

OK - thanks for your help

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I commented out the _tzset() line in qdatetime.cpp to see if that would help, but now I'm getting many new errors, now from qfsfileengine_win.cpp. They seem to be the same as for the person on this post to the mailing list.
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:112:123: warning: 'dllimport' attr
    ibute ignored
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:114:162: warning: 'dllimport' attr
    ibute ignored
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:122:56: warning: 'dllimport' attri
    bute ignored
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp: In static member function 'static
    void QFSFileEnginePrivate::resolveLibs()':
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:177:99: warning: deprecated conver
    sion from string constant to 'WCHAR*'
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:181:98: warning: deprecated conver
    sion from string constant to 'WCHAR*'
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:184:101: warning: deprecated conve
    rsion from string constant to 'WCHAR*'
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp: In member function 'qint64 QFSFil
    eEnginePrivate::nativeSize() const':
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:666:50: error: '_get_osfhandle' wa
    s not declared in this scope
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp: In member function 'int QFSFileEn
    ginePrivate::nativeHandle() const':
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:903:33: error: '_fileno' was not d
    eclared in this scope
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:913:60: error: '_open_osfhandle' w
    as not declared in this scope
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp: In member function 'bool QFSFileE
    nginePrivate::nativeIsSequential() const':
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:934:57: error: '_fileno' was not d
    eclared in this scope
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:934:58: error: '_get_osfhandle' wa
    s not declared in this scope
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp: In member function 'bool QFSFileE
    nginePrivate::doStat() const':
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:1323:50: error: '_get_osfhandle' w
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp: In member function 'virtual bool
    QFSFileEngine::setPermissions(uint)':
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:1918:4: error: '::_chmod' has not
    been declared
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp: In member function 'virtual bool
    QFSFileEngine::setSize(qint64)':
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:1938:46: error: '_get_osfhandle' w
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp: In member function 'virtual QDate
    Time QFSFileEngine::fileTime(QAbstractFileEngine::FileT ime) const':
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:2004:49: error: '_get_osfhandle' w
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp: In member function 'uchar* QFSFil
    eEnginePrivate::map(qint64, qint64, QFile::MemoryMapFlags)':
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:2056:53: error: '_fileno' was not
    declared in this scope
    C:\Qt\qt/src/corelib/io/qfsfileengine_win.cpp:2056:54: error: '_get_osfhandle' w
    mingw32-make: *** [qfsfileengine_win.o] Error 1

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Lightbulb Re: How to configure Qt to work with MinGW-64?

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this is one of the first hits on Google for "mingw64 Qt", and there is now a way to easily use Qt with that toolchain:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mi...ing%20QT%204_6

It comes down to this:
    - download the patched sources
    - download sezero's latest build of mingw64 (has almost all that you need)
    - if you want sse/sse2, appply the small patch described under the "Download" section of the above linked wiki.
    - configure, build and use like you would normally

Just thought this is pretty vital info for anyone searching for an answer.

PS: Mingw64 has a 32-bit and 64-bit toolchain, so you can build both versions with mingw64 (there are seperate downloads for win32 and win64 targets).

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

mingw-w64 wiki updated:
    How to build Qt with mingw-w64