Thread: Mouse cursor leaving/entering a widget causes repaint for whole widget

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded

Question Mouse cursor leaving/entering a widget causes repaint for whole widget

Hi All,

I am just wondering is this a Qt design intent to repaint the widget when mouse cursor enters/leaves the widget? Is there any way to just partially repaint the changed area for the widget in this case?

Thanks

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Mouse cursor leaving/entering a widget causes repaint for whole widget

Are u sure QT paints the whole widget ???
    Just check the QPaintEvent::rect() function...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Mouse cursor leaving/entering a widget causes repaint for whole widget

In case of enter/leave events probably the whole widget is repainted. But this is a case only if the widget has Qt::WA_Hover attribute set (the style used can override the attribute for any widget it sees fit).

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded

Thanks for your information Wysota, one more question though, can I just call setAttribute in the widget constructor to make sure this attribute is set to false? I tried that and it seems that Qt is still repainting the widget so just wondering if I missed anything..

BTW, I turned on QT_FLUSH_PAINT environment variable and that's how I see it's repainting the whole widget.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by jimfan View Post
    Thanks for your information Wysota, one more question though, can I just call setAttribute in the widget constructor to make sure this attribute is set to false? I tried that and it seems that Qt is still repainting the widget so just wondering if I missed anything..
    No, you can't. The style may override the hover attribute. You just have to live with it. Or change the style to one that doesn't have hover effects