Thread: How to run my Qt Application on another pc? Problem with QtCore4.dll

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default How to run my Qt Application on another pc? Problem with QtCore4.dll

Hello,
    yesterday I've succesfully installed the latest version of qt creator ( on windows xp sp2 ).

After creating a project, I have to select the "green arrow" in order to compile and then launch the program.

But if I want to launch the program from the folder where the .exe file is ( for example, C:\Qt\MyProj ), simply by double-clicking on the .exe file, I have to have installed the .dll "QTCore4.dll" into my "C:\Windows\System32" folder ( otherwise I get this error message: "Can't find the point of entrance for the procedure _z5qFreePv in the dynamic links library QtCore4.dll" ).

So, if I want to execute this program on another pc, in this pc I have also to install the right .dll in its System32 folder.

Is there any way to do this automatically? Like an installer ?
    Or I'm just missing something?

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.

PS:
    In system32 I have to put not only QtCore4.dll, but also QtGui4.dll
    Last edited by Mega69; 1st October 2009 at 15:47.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: How to run my Qt Application on another pc? Problem with QtCore4.dll

I found out that maybe I need to make a static build, someone could explain me how to do it?
    (My compiler is mingw)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: How to run my Qt Application on another pc? Problem with QtCore4.dll

You can place the libraries not in the system folder but in the same folder your application is copied into.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    You can place the libraries not in the system folder but in the same folder your application is copied into.
    Thanks, this works.

However I would like to understand how to make a static build, because I try to put this on my .pro file
    Qt Code:
    1. CONFIG += staticlib
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    but i can only get a shared build.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

You need to build Qt in static mode as well.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Smile Re: How to run my Qt Application on another pc? Problem with QtCore4.dll

I noticed in your first post you mentioned the possible use of an installer. Using an installer is always a good choice. It gives your application:

1. a professional appearance

2. makes it much easier for the user

3. allows you to test and set up a correct install experience before giving it to a user

I highly recommend the BitRock installer, its free, and has different versions for different platforms.

http://installbuilder.bitrock.com/index.html

And, no, I am not an employee of BitRock.

Good Luck

Gary

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

X wysota:
    You need to build Qt in static mode as well.
    I tried to do what is written in the wiki, but after writing in the console "configure -static", the console doesn't allow me to write anything else ( so I can't write mingw32-make sub-src )

X Chisum:
    This installer seems well made and simple to use, maybe this would be the best solution.
    I'll give it a look.
    Last edited by Mega69; 1st October 2009 at 23:58.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by Mega69 View Post
    I tried to do what is written in the wiki, but after writing in the console "configure -static", the console doesn't allow me to write anything else
    What do you mean?