Thread: Whats the difference in sharing a QGLContext and sharing a QGLWidget

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Whats the difference in sharing a QGLContext and sharing a QGLWidget

Hi,
    In the QGLWidget constructor
    Qt Code:
    1. QGLWidget::QGLWidget ( QGLContext * context, QWidget * parent = 0, const QGLWidget * shareWidget = 0, Qt::WindowFlags f = 0 )
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

How is sharing a QGLContext different from sharing a QGLWidget? It seems to me that passing in a context is the same as sharing a widget. The shared widget and the newly constructed QGLWidget will be sharing the same context any way. So, why is there the option to pass in a context?

Thanks

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Whats the difference in sharing a QGLContext and sharing a QGLWidget

What do you mean when you say "sharing a QGLWidget"?
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Whats the difference in sharing a QGLContext and sharing a QGLWidget

When creating a QGLWidget you can pass its constructor a pointer to another QGLWidget to mutually share a context.
    Qt Code:
    1. QGLWidget::QGLWidget ( QWidget * parent = 0, const QGLWidget * shareWidget = 0, Qt::WindowFlags f = 0 )

What does it mean to pass in a QGLContext and another QGLWidget, as in the following constructor.
    Qt Code:
    1. QGLWidget::QGLWidget ( QGLContext * context, QWidget * parent = 0, const QGLWidget * shareWidget = 0, Qt::WindowFlags f = 0 )

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Here is what the docs say, maybe you can ask specifically what it is you don't understand in the following (for a shared QGLWidget):
    If shareWidget is a valid QGLWidget, this widget will share OpenGL display lists and texture objects with shareWidget. But if shareWidget and this widget have different formats, sharing might not be possible. You can check whether sharing is in effect by calling isSharing().
    And a context is:
    An OpenGL rendering context is a complete set of OpenGL state variables.

As you can see, sharing openGL "resources" (as shared QGLWidget) and sharing "rendering state variables" is not the same.

Did I help you?
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

5. The following user says thank you to high_flyer for this useful post:

Wali (17th October 2009)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ok I think I understand thanks.