Thread: Another question to clarify licensing under LGPL.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Post Another question to clarify licensing under LGPL.

I have a library that is a layer between my executable and Qt. I want to use LGPL version of Qt and link my library and application dynamically (e.g. -l against so file in Linux). My library source and headers don't any contain source code from Qt source files (cpp). Surely, however, I use classes of Qt that are available in h files.

I also will provide a file with text of LGPL in the application directory and I will mention LGPL in copyright notes of my application.

Can I just put Qt libs (e.g. libQtGui.so.x.x.x) in my application folder and distribute it with my application, according to the above conditions and if I also provide a link to the source of Qt (trolltech.com) somewhere (where ?).

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Another question to clarify licensing under LGPL.

Yes, you can.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Forgot to mention that the application and the layer library are commercial closed-source software. And I was wondering where and do I need to post a link to trolltech.com

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

It doesn't seem that a link is needed, but it can be nice to include one. Maybe your application will appear on Qt website.

Don't forget that you can include upto 5% of the total size of the Library into your object code as long as such code is limited to code from header files such as numerical parameters, data structure layouts, accessors, macros, inline functions and templates.

Commercial closed source doesn't really matter any more so long as you abide by the LGPL with the above additional rights.