Thread: How to show the file system as a Windows user expects to see it

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default How to show the file system as a Windows user expects to see it

I’m new to Qt. I’ve run into something that makes so little sense, I suspect I’m just missing something obvious. I’m using Windows XP.

In my application I want to present an “Explorer” control for file selection. (A QFileDialog would be too clumsy, because the user will be selecting and dragging various files while running the program.) Connecting a QFileSystemModel to a QTreeView almost works, but there’s a problem.

The control shows the disk drives at the top level (with My Computer as the implied, unseen root). No Windows program would ever present an Explorer view this way — half the Windows users out there probably couldn’t even find their desktops and documents starting from the root of the C:\ drive.

Windows always displays the Desktop as the top-level entry, with My Documents and My Computer as the first two entries beneath it.

How do I get this ubiquitous Windows Explorer tree presentation under Qt4 (at least when running under Windows — I have no idea how it should appear on other systems, but hopefully it would appear in each consistently with the way that system normally presents its file system), instead of the drives-at-top presentation, which makes perfect sense to geeks but would be incomprehensible to the average Windows user?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: How to show the file system as a Windows user expects to see it

Look into QDesktopServices.
    Horse sense is the thing that keeps horses from betting on people. --W.C. Fields

Ask Smart Questions