Thread: Printing using QTextLayout

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Question Printing using QTextLayout

Hello,

I have programmed a simple code editor, which uses the QSyntaxHighlighter.
    And now i have a problem with my print method.

I had to implement a new one since I need to print a header and footer on each page and I also need to print the corresponding line numbers besides the text.

After much experimentation I have almost reached my "goal".

First i get the pageRect from the given QPrinter and calculate the size for the header, footer and line numbers from which i then get the actual draw area for the document.
    Then I break down the QTextDocument into its QTextBlocks in order to iterate over them within the printing process. (using a while(block.isValid())... loop)

Within the loop i break down the blocks into QTextLayouts (for the case that a block has one or more linebraks) This is also important in order to find the proper horizontal position for the line number and for the case that a block needs to be broken up between page breaks.

My current problem shows its (ugly) face after a page break where the textLayout.draw(...) method decides to ignore the horizontal position the first line and draw a few pixels off target, invading the space for the next line.
    This only occurs in the first line of pages 2 and up. Page 1 is printed properly.

Can anyone give me a hint why the draw Method would be ignoring the QPoint given to it?
    I use the same horizontal offset when drawing the line number which is placed properly in the page.

Thank you for reading and maybe helping

Eric

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Post Re: Printing using QTextLayout

So for better understandig i am uploading two images of a printed out pdf (I am using a PDF printer for debugging).

And some code:

Qt Code:
    1. void TextEditorWidget::printDocument(QPrinter *printer)
    2. {
    3. QTextDocument *document = editor->document();
    4. //Header & Footer .... just building the strings...
    6. QPainter printPainter(printer);
    7. printPainter.setFont(f); //<- f: is the font used as standard in the QTextEdit
    8. QRect pageRect = printer->pageRect();
    9. QRect headerRect = printPainter.boundingRect(printPainter.window()/*pageRect*/,Qt::AlignLeft |Qt::AlignTop, printHeader);
    10. QRect footerRect = printPainter.boundingRect(printPainter.window()/*pageRect*/,Qt::AlignBottom |Qt::AlignHCenter, footer);
    11. QRect numbersRect = printPainter.boundingRect(printPainter.window()/*pageRect*/,Qt::AlignLeft,
    12. QString::number(document->blockCount()));
    13. pageRect.setTop(headerRect.height() +17);// adding a spacing
    14. pageRect.setLeft(numbersRect.width() +8);
    15. pageRect.setBottom(footerRect.top() -10);
    16. pageRect.setRight(/*pageRect.left() + printer->pageRect().width()*/ printPainter.window().right());
    17. document->setPageSize(pageRect.size());
    19. QAbstractTextDocumentLayout *lay = document->documentLayout();
    20. lay->setPaintDevice(printer);
    21. int pages = lay->pageCount();
    23. QTextBlock block = document->begin();
    24. int pageNumber = 0;
    25. int yOffset = 0;
    26. bool newPage = true;
    27. printPainter.setClipping(true); //thought this might have something to do with the porblem, but i couldnt see any difference whether set true or false
    29. while(block.isValid()) //<- Iteration Loop
    30. {
    31. if(newPage)
    32. {
    33. ++ pageNumber;
    34. printPainter.drawText(QRect(QPoint(0,0),headerRect.size()),Qt::AlignLeft, printHeader);
    35. printPainter.drawText(printPainter.window(),Qt::AlignBottom|Qt::AlignHCenter,
    36. footer.arg(QString::number(pageNumber),QString::number(pages)));
    37. yOffset = pageRect.top();
    38. newPage = false;
    39. }
    41. QTextLayout *lT = block.layout();
    42. for (int i=0; i< lT->lineCount(); i++) //Line Iteration usualy 1 line per Block
    43. {
    44. if(i==0) printPainter.drawText(QRect(QPoint(0,yOffset),numbersRect.size()),Qt::AlignRight,
    45. QString::number(block.blockNumber()+1));
    46. lT->lineAt(i).draw(&printPainter,QPointF(pageRect.left(),yOffset));
    47. }
    48. yOffset += lT->boundingRect().height(); // Increment Horizontal offset by size of last Block
    49. if (yOffset >= printPainter.window().bottom()- (footerRect.height()+17+10))
    51. {
    52. newPage = true;
    53. printer->newPage();
    54. }
    55. block = block.next();
    56. }
    57. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Printing using QTextLayout

Update:

After some more debugging, I noticed that the QTextLine recieved a worng position for the lines where the error ocurred (usually QPiontF(0,0)) but here it recieved a QPointF(0,10)
    I haven't figuered out why this happens, but at least I was able to reset it using the QTextLine::setPosition(...) method.

If anyone is working with this type of text drawing i must add that you will need to manage the position of the linebreaks as these will need a different y-coordinate (usualy linenumber * lineHeight)

Greetings