Thread: [QSqlRelation] Is this possible?

Default [QSqlRelation] Is this possible?

I have a model under QSqlRelationalTableModel that joins two tables. Primary table has an Id that point two a primary key in the secondary table. Secondary table has two fields that fill a name (name & surname).
    When I set the relation I have this QSqlRelation definition:

QSqlRelation::QSqlRelation ( const QString & tableName, const QString & indexColumn, const QString & displayColumn )

With this I can only add one field to the model when I need two fields. Is possible make a model based on QSqlRelationalTableModel that returns two fields for an unique Id?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: [QSqlRelation] Is this possible?

Each relation substitutes a foreign key with a value from another table. You can have as many relations in the table as many foreign keys. Thus if you have one foreign key, you can "import" only one field. In your case it would probably be best to make a view in the database out of those two tables or to use QSqlQueryModel.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Each relation substitutes a foreign key with a value from another table. You can have as many relations in the table as many foreign keys. Thus if you have one foreign key, you can "import" only one field. In your case it would probably be best to make a view in the database out of those two tables or to use QSqlQueryModel.
    Yes. QSqlQueryModel is the best solution for relations one-to-many but this model is read-only and I need to write extra code that is not necessary with RelationalTableModel.
    I was longing a solution inside the QSqlRelationalTableModel component but I believe that I will have to write more lines of code.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I ran into the same issue and ended up using QSqlQuery like this:

Qt Code:
    2. q = db.exec("SELECT a.ID, a.name, a.surname FROM addresses as a WHERE a.ID=" + your_id);
    4. q.next();
    5. thename = q.value(1).toString();
    6. thesurname = q.value(2).toString();
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

I haven't tested this code, but I'm sure you get the idea.
    The various sql models are great for certain scenarios but I find myself often using QSqlQuery in addition to the model, especially when the model is read-only.

hope this helps.