Thread: Release folder - 1 .exe file only

Thanks

Default Release folder - 1 .exe file only

Can I do that? Right now I've got an .exe and two .o files, one from main & one from hello (I'm using the example given in QT on how to create your first make file)

After creating the makefile I compile the code in QT and my release folder has the files listed above. To get release to work by clicking the .exe in my directory structure I've had to copy QTGu4, QTCore4 and mingwm10. Is it possible to get the release down to a single exe file and how can I incorporate the dll files?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Release folder - 1 .exe file only

release and debug folders are just 'working' folders, i.e. they contain files that are created throughout the preprocess/compilation/linking stages.

It would be a good exercise to learn how make files work.

Once your executable is done building and you want to deploy your app, you typically copy it to some other place (together with all dll's it needs, such as Qt core/gui dll's). Object files are generally not deployed with an application.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzel View Post
    release and debug folders are just 'working' folders, i.e. they contain files that are created throughout the preprocess/compilation/linking stages.

It would be a good exercise to learn how make files work.

Once your executable is done building and you want to deploy your app, you typically copy it to some other place (together with all dll's it needs, such as Qt core/gui dll's). Object files are generally not deployed with an application.
    I'll continue to read on make files

So does that mean you cannot package the QT core files and your generated exe into one distributable exe? How can I keep things clean for distribution?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

that depends on what you mean by 'clean'

you should read the following:

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/deployment.html

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Yes, you can do that. If you want a single file, you'll have to recompile Qt, and read the license agreement. Single file distributions are under different conditions than exe+dll distributions.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60

A standalone exe file requires Qt to be build statically, you can find how to do this in the wiki, althought you would have to have a comercial license to deploy it like that (search this forum cause there are some good post's about license models). if you just playing with Qt, for non comercial aplications, is better to keep Qt dinamically linked, and use some deployment software, like InstallCreator, or other like that, that will join exe and the dlls in a setup file, easely distributed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john_god View Post
    A standalone exe file requires Qt to be build statically, you can find how to do this in the wiki, althought you would have to have a comercial license to deploy it like that (search this forum cause there are some good post's about license models). if you just playing with Qt, for non comercial aplications, is better to keep Qt dinamically linked, and use some deployment software, like InstallCreator, or other like that, that will join exe and the dlls in a setup file, easely distributed.
    Install Creator, good thanks