Thread: Which qt download to use as base for Win/ WinCE builds

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Which qt download to use as base for Win/ WinCE builds

Hi

I have a basic and maybe silly question.

On the download page http://qt.nokia.com/downloads I see on the left side this option:
    Download Qt SDK for Windows* (283 MB)

And on the right side I have :
    Download Qt libraries 4.6 for Windows (VS 2008, 190 MB)
    and
    Download Qt libraries 4.6 for Windows CE (155 MB)

I want to use Visual Studio and for the left option it says at the bottom:
    Based on MinGW (download sources) tool set. Does not support VS compiler.

So I guess that I will never be able to use this one since I want to compile with Visual Studio or?

So that leaves me with the right hand options. My intention is to download the QT source and then create several shadow builds. The thing I do not know is if the "Download Qt libraries 4.6 for Windows (VS 2008, 190 MB)" option is the pure QT source that I should use as the bsase for my shadow builds or does this config already have some Windows configuration applied that will mess with the Shadow builds?

In the long run I also want to be able to compile for Symbian, can I still use the Windows package as source and create another Shadow build without changing anything else?

I am basically confused about the difference between the versions on the left and right side and if I canuse the Windows download as the base for Shadown builds or not. Very grateful if someone could make this more clear.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Which qt download to use as base for Win/ WinCE builds

Quote Originally Posted by hubbobubbo View Post
    So I guess that I will never be able to use this one since I want to compile with Visual Studio or?
    The left one contains an IDE so if you want to use Visual Studio, you don't need it.

The thing I do not know is if the "Download Qt libraries 4.6 for Windows (VS 2008, 190 MB)" option is the pure QT source that I should use as the bsase for my shadow builds or does this config already have some Windows configuration applied that will mess with the Shadow builds?
    The download should contain both binaries and sources.

In the long run I also want to be able to compile for Symbian, can I still use the Windows package as source and create another Shadow build without changing anything else?
    In theory yes, there is a single source tree for every Qt platform. But in practice you will need some other tools that I think are only contained in the bundle dedicated for S60.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks for the reply.

There are two things I am still confused about:

1. What does *Based on MinGW (download sources) tool set. Does not support VS compiler.". Does this mean I can only use this download with the MinGW compiler to build the QT libraries. Since I use VS I will not be able to use this download at all?

2. If I download the Windows package on the right side it will contain some prebuilt bins for the Win32 platform, correct? If that is the case and I want to use this download as the source for my shadow builds also for WinCE do I have to make some soft of config clean before using this download as a base for my shadow builds? I am just concerned that there might be some Win32 stuff in this download that I do not want when creating the WinCE shadows? My concern is just selecting the right source package as the base for the shadow builds.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by hubbobubbo View Post
    1. What does *Based on MinGW (download sources) tool set. Does not support VS compiler.". Does this mean I can only use this download with the MinGW compiler to build the QT libraries. Since I use VS I will not be able to use this download at all?
    It means the binaries are compiled against MinGW runtime and not MSVC runtime. If you want to use them with MSVC you have to recompile them.

2. If I download the Windows package on the right side it will contain some prebuilt bins for the Win32 platform, correct?
    Correct. Unless you download a source-only archive, of course.

If that is the case and I want to use this download as the source for my shadow builds also for WinCE do I have to make some soft of config clean before using this download as a base for my shadow builds?
    No, the sources are clean when you download them. If you rebuild the same sources again and again with different options, it might be required to run make clean beforehand.

I am just concerned that there might be some Win32 stuff in this download that I do not want when creating the WinCE shadows? My concern is just selecting the right source package as the base for the shadow builds.
    Sources are uniform for all platforms. You can download source-only archive to be sure no wrong binaries get bundled in the archive.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.