Thread: statically link Qt libraries (not build static library)

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt Jambi
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default statically link Qt libraries (not build static library)

I am currently working under linux, but eventually will need to so this in Windows.

I have seen many posts about statically linking Qt libraries, which turn out to be building static Qt library versions. I already have both the static and shared libraries. What is the magic in the '.pro' file to have qmake produce a Makefile that statically links the Qt libraries? And do this automatically.

If I modify the Makefile by hand and add '-Xlinker -Bstatic' before all the -lQt... and '-Xlinker -Bdynamic' after them, then the build process produces an app with statically linked Qt libraries.

And please do not tell me CONFIG items -static and -staticlib. From what I can see, they are for building a static library.

I haven't worked in Windows for a number of year, but I assume all that needs to be done there is choose the '.lib' files for the project since it does use the '.pro' file . . . even though it is based on it to start. It would be nice to be able to use one '.pro' file, though.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: statically link Qt libraries (not build static library)

Add

Qt Code:
    1. QMAKE_LFLAGS += -Xlinker -Bstatic
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

or

Qt Code:
    1. QMAKE_LFLAGS = -Xlinker -Bstatic $$QMAKE_LFLAGS
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

to your project file.

Check the qmake manual for more information.
    Horse sense is the thing that keeps horses from betting on people. --W.C. Fields

Ask Smart Questions

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt Jambi
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

adding -Xlinker command to QMAKE_LFLAGS does get it a step further, but that tries to statically link all libraries.

I just need the Qt libraries boxed with -Bstatic and -Bdynamic. The following

LIBS = $(SUBLIBS) -L/usr/lib/qt45/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lutil -lQtOpenGL -L/usr/lib/qt45/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -lQtGui -pthread -lpng -lfreetype -lSM -lICE -pthread -pthread -lXi -lXrender -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXinerama -lfontconfig -lXext -lX11 -lQtNetwork -pthread -pthread -lQtCore -lz -lm -pthread -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lrt -ldl -lGLU -lGL -lpthread

changed to

LIBS = $(SUBLIBS) -L/usr/lib/qt45/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lutil -Xlinker -Bstatic -lQtOpenGL -Xlinker -Bdynamic -L/usr/lib/qt45/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -Xlinker -Bstatic -lQtGui -Xlinker -Bdynamic -pthread -lpng -lfreetype -lSM -lICE -pthread -pthread -lXi -lXrender -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXinerama -lfontconfig -lXext -lX11 -Xlinker -Bstatic -lQtNetwork -Xlinker -Bdynamic -pthread -pthread -Xlinker -Bstatic -lQtCore -Xlinker -Bdynamic -lz -lm -pthread -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lrt -ldl -lGLU -lGL -lpthread

Not a biggee, but it would nice if qmake would cut down on the libraries inclusions ( I know I need pthread but that many times :-) )

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Maybe you need to muck about with the QMAKE_LIBS_* variables then. Be creative
    Horse sense is the thing that keeps horses from betting on people. --W.C. Fields

Ask Smart Questions