Thread: Hello World tutorial version mismatch?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Default Hello World tutorial version mismatch?

Howdy folks!

This is probably going to be the most newbie question that folks have seen in a while, but I could use a bit of direction. I was speaking with a former university professor of mine about a good IDE to use for C++ programming, and he directed me here. I'm quite new to programming, so he also told me to start from the very basics, and go through all the tutorials to learn how to use the IDE. I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the exact starting point for learning, however.

To be more specific, I started with the "Qt Creator - A Quick Tour" but shortly into that tutorial it says I should already have a working knowledge of how to design applications in Qt.

After a bit of digging, I found a "Hello World" tutorial for Qt 4.4.3: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/tutorials-tutorial.html
    A check of the version of IDE says that I'm using Qt creator 1.3.1 which is based on Qt 4.6.2. My problem is that the tutorial does not match the steps I am asked to go through to make the application. These seem to be the most current versions of both the tutorial and IDE, though. More specifically here, the IDE complains of a lack of a makefile. The tutorial mentions a qmake tool, though it appears to assume that I'm running from a command prompt. There is a "run qmake" option under the build menu, but that doesn't seem to alleviate the failure to build.

I have a feeling there are things that the tutorial is assuming I know, but I actually don't. I'm not sure exactly what would come before a "Hello World" tutorial, so I'm kind of stuck on where to actually start. I have a feeling the answer is quite blatantly obvious, but I do not have the background to understand where my knowledge gaps are; most of my education has been focused on Computer Science theory.

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Rob

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Hello World tutorial version mismatch?

Can we know what Qt you installed ? Did you simply install the Qt Creator or the whole Qt SDK ?
    Also what steps did you follow to make a project in the IDE ?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Hello!

I believe I downloaded the entire SDK. I have the Qt Creator, along with some separate tools: Qt Designer, Qt Assistant, Qt Linguist, etc.

I followed roughly the same steps that the Quick tour of Qt described. I have tried creating an empty Qt4 project, as well as the Qt4 GUI Application type project. With the latter, I have attempted to use the QMainWindow and QWidget as the base classes. I get the following message when I try to build the default projects generated by the IDE, without changing any source code. A similar message appears when I try to copy and paste the HelloWorld code from the tutorial:

Running build steps for project HelloWorld...
    Starting: /usr/bin/qmake /Users/(name removed)/HelloWorld/HelloWorld.pro -spec macx-g++ -r
    Exited with code 0.
    Could not find make command: make in the build environment
    Error while building project HelloWorld
    When executing build step 'Make'
    Canceled build.

Thank you again for your help!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

The IDE is not able to find the mingw compiler I guess. Try to include path of make.exe
    apart from that am not sure of the mac OS..havent worked on it

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Ah, thank you for the tip! I will do some digging and see what I can come up with. I guess then it's a problem with my setup, and not something that I'm doing wrong. That's a relief. ^_^