Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: QIde, a new IDE for Qt4

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: QIde, a new IDE for Qt4

After a build, if an error or warning is occured, a double-click on the red or blue line open the file on error line. A user says to me that the double-click does not do anything.

Can you say to me if it goes or not for you. And with which Windows or Linux version.

Thanks,

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

It's about time I do something instead of blabla like I did until now:

in margeNumberation.cpp, paintEvent(), this line:
    Qt Code:
    1. p.drawText( width() -fm.width( txt ) - 2, qRound( position.y() ) -contentsY +ascent, txt ); // -fm.width( "0" ) is an ampty place/indent
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

and in setDigits:
    Qt Code:
    1. setFixedWidth( fontMetrics().width( "0" ) * (i) + 32 ); // +2 = 1 empty place before and 1 empty place after

This makes the line number widget behave better, and leves 32 pixels for the icons (break). I tested it with a 20K file (4 digits) and the icons are drawn on the correct location. I number of 22 is also good, more tight.

There are some regressions on this version, I will test it trough today and tomorrow, and report about the ooopses I find.

BTW, the auto hide thingie...? IMHO sux

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thank you for this participation. The size of breakpoint icon is 22x22 thus I replaced 32 by 22 in your code. It works fine, tested with a 107000 lines file.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by jlbrd
    Thank you for this participation. The size of breakpoint icon is 22x22 thus I replaced 32 by 22 in your code. It works fine, tested with a 107000 lines file.
    Drawing 12,000 lines takes about 2 minutes on my box. How much does it take on your box? (another thing to optimize..)

Btw, you have some *.o and ~ files on the release. You can keep the source bellow 1mb by just cleaning it up...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Quote Originally Posted by elcuco
    BTW, the auto hide thingie...? IMHO sux
    At least there should be a "pin" button to optionally stick it visible like in VS.
    J-P Nurmi

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Drawing 12,000 lines takes about 2 minutes on my box. How much does it take on your box? (another thing to optimize..)
    Yes, it's very slow for me too. The cause it is the syntax highlighting, very too slow. It should be rewritten
    For .o, a new release is on server, thanks.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

At least there should be a "pin" button to optionally stick it visible like in VS.
    It's optionnal, on dialog "Options"

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms

It's optionnal, on dialog "Options"
    Right, I missed that. But it would still be a nice feature to toggle auto-hiding feature by just a single click (like in VS). Btw, as I've heard, TT is implementing this kind of widget. Not sure if it will arrive in time yet for 4.2, though.

A few suggestions:
    - a message box asking whether user wants to compile before starting debugging if any files belonging to the project have been modified since last build
    - open file dialog could allow selecting of multiple files
    - dynamic shortcuts, i want to debug with buttons i'm familiar with
    - properties dialog's layout does not work very well. unchecking "advanced mode" leaves the dialog's size as it is. maybe you could use QDialog's extension for showing advanced properties?
    - a possibility of re-arranging tabs the way or another

Keep up the nice work! This project really has some potential..
    J-P Nurmi

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

But it would still be a nice feature to toggle auto-hiding feature by just a single click (like in VS)
    Have you a screenshot for me for this feature.

- a message box asking whether user wants to compile before starting debugging if any files belonging to the project have been modified since last build
    Excuse me but my english is very bad. It posts a message and it would not have?

Can you explain what are the "dynamics shortcuts"?

I will look for the tab and the dialogue config and the multiple files to open.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms

Have you a screenshot for me for this feature.
    Sure, see attached screenshots.

Excuse me but my english is very bad. It posts a message and it would not have?
    I'm not saying you should start copying each and every feature in VS, but I find this very comfortable and handy. After modifying source files, all I have to do is to press the shortcut to start debugging (would currently be F6 in QIde) and it asks me if I want to build the project up-to-date. See attached screenshot.

Can you explain what are the "dynamics shortcuts"?
    Configurable shortcuts (can be changed by the user). For example all KDE apps have this "Configure Shortcuts" dialog. Imagine users who are familiar with different shortcuts than you have set. They would not be happy to learn yet another set of shortcuts. I have myself exactly the same debugging shortcuts in both VS and KDevelop. It is really convenient to use same and familiar shortcuts when debugging in different environments instead of trying to keep shortcut differencies in mind all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    J-P Nurmi

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thank you for this precisions.

You are right. VS is a good tool. The good things must be copied !

- When a project file or project configuration is modified, if you start debugging, an dialog is already displayed for ask if you want to rebuild before.

- I will add a dialogue to configure the shortcuts keyboard.

- For the docks, I am not sure to be able to do something, I will see.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

jlbrd, i tried to download your IDE but the link: http://qide.free.fr doesn't seem to work (404). Could you perhaps provide another url? thanks!

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I modified the site. It must work now. Can you say it to me ?
    Thank you

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thumbs up Re: QIde, a new IDE for Qt4

The site works now.

My review of today, V 0.14(a) -
    I went to a friend of mine, and I installed on his Windows V0.14, and I saw that the file is 500kb smaller, and the application was modified slightly. mmm....

The application worked quite good, and demostrated the usage of the IDE for an hello wolrd consle application. Nice, as even the output was disaplyed inside the IDE. Now, the bad things:

The new version introduced the auto-hide tabs. The problems with this new system is:
    1. Size when minimized is too big. When you "hide" the tabs, the tab itself should have size of "0". I tried finding out how can I make the tab be zero sized when "hidden". Still nothing.
    2. Dock windows now have minimal size. You cannot shrink the dock windows too much now, as a minimal width (and hight) is enforced. My friend uses 800x600 which made the application unusable until I closed the dock windows. Even on my 1600x1024 this is a big no-no.
    3. They should not modify the lyaout. When you use the auto hide feature, when the tabs are showed, they should not be inside a lyaout, but "float" above in the window. This will lead to the text-editor not move arround when you hide/show the tabs. The idea of the text changing location just by moving the mouse cursor is bad.

Also, the implementation of the "Advanced more" in the project properties window must be changed. When you click the checkbox and the uncheck it, the window just looks bad, and taks too much space on screen.

Some random bugs,
    1. Still some menus have no shortcut (how can you open the View menu?).
    2. When dock windows are hidden, the menu entry for showing/hiding thenm contains an empty string.
    3. The toolbars are showed when you open the file menu, and you are in "auto hide" mode.
    4. Select all from the Edit menu, should have the "ctrl+a" shortcut.
    5. Click the close button on the main window, press esc, application exits (esc means "no, i dont want to quit").

I would like to ask for more featrures, and some better implementations for things. If you don't mind, I will start doying this in a day or two, I know I am boming you with my reports, I just don't want to make you work (too) hard.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

The version 0.15 is released on server : http://qide.free.fr

I completely rewrote the part of the docks. Now they have a button to make them maskable. They work now well I think. As in VS.

I added a dialogue to change all the shortcuts.

the implementation of the "Advanced mode" on "Project options" is not modified, I would see later.
    QDevelop, an complete Integrated Development Environment for Qt 4: http://qdevelop.org

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

The application (v0.15) is using 100% constantly here. Do you know what may cause this problem?

Edit: after hiding one of the dock windows, the CPU usage is reduced. Lets find out what went wrong.
    Last edited by elcuco; 19th July 2006 at 09:22.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I saw this problem. I correct now.
    QDevelop, an complete Integrated Development Environment for Qt 4: http://qdevelop.org

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ok it's good. A redraw in redraw in redraw in redraw...
    The appearance of docks hide button is not perfect with Windows but it work.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thumbs up Re: QIde, a new IDE for Qt4

I can confrim this, on the paint event you called update(), commenting it fixes the problem.

Qt Code:
    1. diff -r -u QIde-0.15-diego/dockplugin/dock.cpp QIde-0.15/dockplugin/dock.cpp
    2. --- QIde-0.15-diego/dockplugin/dock.cpp 2006-07-19 19:14:05.000000000 +0300
    3. +++ QIde-0.15/dockplugin/dock.cpp 2006-07-19 00:21:43.000000000 +0300
    4. @@ -53,7 +53,7 @@
    5. {
    6. QDockWidget::paintEvent( event );
    7. m_hide->setGeometry( width()-(45+isFloating()*5), 2+(isFloating()*2), 14, 14);
    8. -// m_hide->update();
    9. + m_hide->update();
    10. }
    11. //
    12. bool Dock::masquable()

Just a side note,
    I saw you uploaded an updated ZIP for 0.15 (and also 0.14) without modifying the version. In the future, can you call the new releases 0.15a or something?

edit:

remarks about this version:
    Bug: press ctrl+f, the find window opens, press enter (search for nothing) and another find window is opened. you can continue like this until the enter key gets broken on your keyboard or you get bored (I got bored after 5-6 windows).

Almost bug: Since the first day I am using this application I had problems with my svn. I finally understood why. You application saves the text files using cr/ln -> windows style, while I use the unix style. Yes, there are svn options to fix this, but this is not the issue. IMHO the application should keep the line ending of the original file, and give sane default on win32, and linux. If possible, even provide an option to the user to choose between the 2 line endings as a global configuration.

Now that I am asking for new features, it's time to do it properly

1. The find dialog you use is so 80's, get a more modern style one, like Firefox. I can recommend you also this link for reading, it will give you some ideas:http://serversideguy.blogspot.com/20...dissected.html
    2. I need a replace and goto line dialog.
    3. I would like to have a shortcut to comment the current line, like in kate: ctrl+d. But, unlike kate, I would like to use the same shortcut to comment and uncomment the line or code.
    4. When adding a new dialog (or window), I would like to be prompted for an implementation header/cpp files. If possible, on the new item dialog, a line edit and checkbox should be added. The generated code will also include comments which say "write this code here" or something similar. If it's the first dialog or window on the project (the UI list is empty?) another dialog will be opened and the user will be asked if he wants the new widget to be the main window, and a "main.cpp" file will be generated for him (using the new implementation, or by using the generated from from the designer depending on the status of that check box.

The new shortcut dialog is great, you just missed 2 empty items on the top of the list.

/me is happy (almost)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elcuco; 19th July 2006 at 19:25.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

In the future, can you call the new releases 0.15a or something?
    Ok for a unique name for each release.

Bug: press ctrl+f, the find window opens, press enter (search for nothing) and another find window is opened.
    The bug for Ctrl+F is solved, thanks
    You application saves the text files using cr/ln -> windows style, while I use the unix style.
    QIde save files with current system style with QString::toPlainText(). A file created on Linux have 0x0a as separator. On Windows it's 0x0d 0x0a. I checked by opening files created under Linux and Windows with khexedit. If you create files under Linux, the end line is good for you normaly. But I will see whether it is possible to add a dialogue to configure it.

for new features :
    1- Perhaps I will see.
    2- Yes it's essential
    3- Yes good idea
    4 - Yes good idea but : I prefer to make subclassing when the form already exists. It is possible to choose the slots to be implemented (like buttonOk_clicked() ). With an option to make the main.cpp and insert code template.

The new shortcut dialog is great, you just missed 2 empty items on the top of the list.
    It is what these two lines? I do not understand.
    Last edited by jlbrd; 20th July 2006 at 00:12.