Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QIde, a new IDE for Qt4

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default QIde, a new IDE for Qt4

QIde is an development environment entirely dedicated to Qt4. QIde requires Qt4, MinGW and possibly gdb for programs debugging . QIde is available in English and French, for Windows and Linux.

Characteristics :
    - Reading and writing project files (with some small restrictions)
    - Add / Delete and edit files (internal or external of project)
    - Management of projects SUBDIRS in a rather correct way I think.
    - Independent build for each projects. I.e. are rebuild only the really modified projects.
    - In the event of errors or warnings during building, double-click on the line opens the corresponding file on editor.
    - Debugging with gdb. Toggle breakpoints by click in the line number on editor or by right click. When the program is stopped on breakpoint, it's possible to view variables contents with a linedit.
    - In the editor, F1 call Assistant to show help for the word under the cursor.

QIDe is new but really functional. Test it if you want !

Available on http://qide.free.fr/index_en.html

Thanks

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: QIde, a new IDE for Qt4

With QT 4.1.4:

g++ -c -pipe -O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I../lineedithistoplugin -I../treeprojetplugin -Isrc -Isrc/ui -I../build/moc -I../build/ui -o ../build/o/unix/editeur.o src/editeur.cpp
    In file included from src/mainimpl.h:26,
    from src/editeur.cpp:25:
    ../build/ui/ui_main.h: In member function `void Ui_Main::retranslateUi(QMainWindow*)':
    ../build/ui/ui_main.h:704: error: 'class QToolBar' has no member named 'setAccessibleName'
    ../build/ui/ui_main.h:705: error: 'class QToolBar' has no member named 'setAccessibleDescription'
    make[1]: *** [../build/o/unix/editeur.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/wrk/zz/tmp/QIde-0.11/Ide'
    make: *** [sub-Ide-make_default] Error 2

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

It's a problem with 4.1.4 version and subdirs. Enter on "Ide" directory then qmake+make

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Inside 'Ide' dir:

g++ -c -pipe -O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I../lineedithistoplugin -I../treeprojetplugin -Isrc -Isrc/ui -I../build/moc -I../build/ui -o ../build/o/unix/editeur.o src/editeur.cpp
    In file included from src/mainimpl.h:26,
    from src/editeur.cpp:25:
    ../build/ui/ui_main.h: In member function `void Ui_Main::retranslateUi(QMainWindow*)':
    ../build/ui/ui_main.h:704: error: 'class QToolBar' has no member named 'setAccessibleName'
    ../build/ui/ui_main.h:705: error: 'class QToolBar' has no member named 'setAccessibleDescription'
    make: *** [../build/o/unix/editeur.o] Error 1

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I do not understand. The file ui_main.h is built by uic with main.ui. It is not a sources file of the application. Check your configuration. It is good for me under Windows or Linux.

Does somebody have the same problem with Qt 4.1.4 and Linux ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

compiled on my OpenSUSE 10.0, qt4 rsync.

Some usability problems, but the application seems to work more or less. Nice for a first release.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thank elcuco for this test.
    What do you think about it?
    But why do you say "the application seems to work more or less"?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Is MingW a requirement ? Will MS VC++ compiler not do?

I actually tried compiling with MS VC++ compiler, but I got a few error which says in couple of places strings are too long and it needs to be truncated.
    Last edited by jacek; 13th July 2006 at 12:26. Reason: post date has been changed to restore order of messages in the thread

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Yes, QIde is only intended for GCC (MinGW under Windows). Perhaps it is possible to compile it with MSVC but then, QIde can control only GCC.

But install minGW, it is easy and free!
    Last edited by jacek; 13th July 2006 at 12:26. Reason: post date has been changed to restore order of messages in the thread

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by jlbrd
    I do not understand. The file ui_main.h is built by uic with main.ui. It is not a sources file of the application. Check your configuration. It is good for me under Windows or Linux.

Does somebody have the same problem with Qt 4.1.4 and Linux ?
    I have found the problem. Default Gentoo qt ebuild has 'accessibility' flag turnd off. After turning it on the QIde app was built without problems. Probably, qt build configuration must be taken into account somewhere.
    Last edited by jacek; 13th July 2006 at 12:27. Reason: post date has been changed to restore order of messages in the thread

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thank elcuco for this test.
    What do you think about it?
    But why do you say "the application seems to work more or less"?
    wow. this thread got funky, even tough it's the newest on this forum, it's on the bottom, also the order of the posts is really funky.. weird...

Anyway, the application seems to work, but it's hard to use. You need to spend a lot of time tuninng it up, until it becomes usable. For example, no way for this actions:
    1. closing one tab (ctrl+w)
    2. moving to the left/right tab (ctrl+[] or alt+left/right)
    3. executing the application (F6, F5 debug)
    4. switching header/implementation (shift+f12)

I also found that the combo box which displays the functions is problematic: if one function is too long, it will resize the main window to such size it does not fit in my 1280x1024 screen. You could trunkute the text at ~80 chars. (i will not even claim that using regexps like you are is the correct way for this problem, but lets ignore this for this version).

I would also like to see inline search instead of dialog boxes. Not that hard, you just need to do this inside the main editor class.

You are not asking for confirmation when you close a project, this is weird and caused me problems, on several ocasions. I also would like to open the *.pro file as text files, something not possible on your code.

On the project explorer, the main project name can be on the header, and not as the main node. This will save space, and reduce the "indentation" of the files, this way the project explorer will not take 25% of the screen. Adding an horizontal scroll bar can also help, but is not the best solution. It could be nice, if the node that represents the open file on the tab widget would be selected.

Now, the French code is funky... it took me a little longer to understand what the code does, but that's my problem

As I said, it's not usable (to me) yet, but it's a damm nice try. Compiles and works, does not crash and is very minimal. As a very early try, it's a damn nice one.
    Last edited by jacek; 13th July 2006 at 12:27. Reason: post date has been changed to restore order of messages in the thread

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Installed it on my W2K side and compiled it using the compiler that came with MSVC++2003. Compiled fine. Runs well. Nice job!
    I am going to try it on my Linux side later today or tomorrow.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,
    The version 0.12 is released on http://qide.free.fr. On this version :

Corrections:
    - Maximum Size for the combo “Methods” on editors. Problem with the too long methods.
    Adds
    - Checking of the version debug or release before execute a program. With warning when the editing version is not available.
    - The interface is now in English. Addition of the French translation.
    - Some short cuts keyboard:
    - Shift+F12 Switch between header and sources
    - Ctrl+W Close the current editor
    - Alt+Right Next Tab
    - Alt+Left Previous Tab
    - Ask confirmation when close application

Quote Originally Posted by elcuco
    no way for executing the application (F6, F5 debug)
    It's good now, and I check the version "debug or release". If the user run a program without debugging and if the whole version available is debug, a warning is displayed.

14. The following user says thank you to jlbrd for this useful post:

elcuco (14th July 2006)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

Nice, it's nice to see how this application inproves so fast. I will try to compile my own applications on it, and see how it goes. Lets treat this as an "usability test", more then real life experience...

If you don't mind me nagging, some more problems:

1. syntax highlighter bug: when you put a string inside a single line comment, the string is marked as well. For example:
      Qt Code:
      1. // good text "bad test"
      To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
      In this example, "bad text" will be marked in red.

2. Find without result, gives no warning. When you press ctrl+f to start searching and no string is found, the application does not notify the user about it. Popping out a new message box is lame, but some text on the status bar (or some blinking something, somewhere) would be nice.

3. Bad contrast on the line numbering. The contrast on the line number is really funky, bright color, on bright color. I assume some people will not see it. While I do like the background, it's sometimes used to alert people or displaying some warning message. If you do want to keep that background color, you should make the text color very dark, like black.

BTW, what happens on files with 10000 lines? does that widget expands? or is fixed to 4 digits?

4. More shortcut issues - select the editor. If it's possible, I would like a shortcut to make the current text editor active. Lets say I am using the mouse to open a file, or I am in the GDB command line, I would like to press "esc" and start writing code once again. The shortcut should be easy to remember, and I recommend "esc" because you are making a text editor: anything else but editing text is extra, and you always come back to it.

5. More shortcut issues - header/implementation swith (related to 4). First, way cool the shortcut, thanks for adding it. I am testing it, and I saw that when I switch between header/implementation, the text editor is not always selected, and I sometimes find myself on the combo-boxes. If it's possible, can you select the editor on the switch?

6. More shortcut issues - VS compabillity.
      • Start program - F6 (not available on VS, but my own extention)
      • Abort - Shift+F5
      • Step out: Shift+F11
      • Also, please put hot keys on every menu and item... hard job, but helps users

7. The project config dialog is a mess. I have not tested it properly, and my ovsebations are just by looking, and so feel free to ignore me. Anyway, the dialog is way too big, and exposes by default way too much information. The advanced options, can be hidden by default and showed only after a user presses an advanced options (there is a Qt4 example in "qt/examples/dialogs/extension" which shows what I would like to see).
      Another option, can be moving this to another tab.

8. Not a complain, but I just wanted to show this to the reader of this forum:
      Type "QString" on an open window, and press F1. cool...

This comes out as a long list, but not because it's bad, but because it can improve to be really good.

What are your plans for the future of this application? How would you like to expand it?
    Last edited by elcuco; 14th July 2006 at 11:47.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thank you for these tests which improve QIde.

Version 0.13 is available.

For the requests:

1. Unsolved. It is necessary that I change all the code for this part. In more it is too slow.

2. Find goes now like that of Kate with dialog box when end is reached.

3. The text is now black. With long texts it works .... now.

4. and 6. Shortcuts are added

5. On switch it's good now. The editor recive the focus

7. I will work above. To come.

What are your plans for the future of this application? How would you like to expand it?
    I would like to implement:
    - Automatic completion. But It's hard because it is necessary to analyze before headers and sources. Find variables, functions ...
    - Version with Designer embedded.

PS : My answers are short because English is difficult for me.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Q
    QIDe is new but really functional. Test it if you want !

Available on http://qide.free.fr/index_en.html

Thanks
    Why if i add a drag list of file only one open? (line 35 code down)

Your method is ....
    Editeur * ouvrirFichier(QStringList listeEmplacements, int numLigne=-1, bool modeSilencieux=false);

Qt Code:
    1. /* main.cpp */
    2. bool is_file(QString fullFileName)
    3. {
    4. QFile f( fullFileName );
    5. if ( f.exists() ) {
    6. return true;
    7. } else {
    8. return false;
    9. }
    10. }
    11. //
    12. int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    13. {
    14. QApplication app(argc, argv);
    15. for ( int i = 1; i < app.argc(); ++i )
    16. {
    17. QString yourfilemaybe = app.argv()[ i ];
    18. if (is_file(yourfilemaybe)) {
    19. list.append(yourfilemaybe);
    20. }
    22. }
    23. QSplashScreen *splash = new QSplashScreen(QPixmap(":/divers/images/SplashQIde.png"));
    24. splash->show();
    25. QTranslator translator;
    26. QString fichierTraduction = ":/traductions/traductions/QIde_"+QLocale::languageToString( QLocale::system().language() )+".qm";
    27. translator.load( fichierTraduction );
    28. app.installTranslator( &translator );
    29. //
    30. MainImpl *main = new MainImpl;
    31. main->setGeometry(50,50, 800, 550);
    32. /* list of file */
    33. if (list.size() > 0) {
    34. main->ouvrirFichier(list);
    35. }
    36. /* list of file */
    37. main->showMaximized();
    38. //
    39. delete splash;
    40. main->controleEnvironnement();
    41. main->lectureINI();
    42. app.connect( &app, SIGNAL( lastWindowClosed() ), &app, SLOT( quit() ) );
    43. return app.exec();
    44. }

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,
    On Editeur * ouvrirFichier(QStringList listeEmplacements, int numLigne=-1, bool modeSilencieux=false);
    listeEmplacements is a list of location for ONE file and open the first good location on the list.
    I don't know why do you want open files on main function because QIde save all opens file on file settings. This files are open when QIde starts.
    But if you want replace
    Qt Code:
    1. #
    2. /* list of file */
    3. #
    4. if (list.size() > 0) {
    5. #
    6. main->ouvrirFichier(list);
    7. #
    8. }
    9. #
    10. /* list of file */
    11. #
    by
    Qt Code:
    1. #
    2. /* list of file */
    3. #
    4. foreach(QString name, list) {
    5. #
    6. main->ouvrirFichier(name);
    7. #
    8. }
    9. #
    10. /* list of file */
    11. #

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

I am very happy to see the fast releases of this application, I am also happy to see many improovements.

The search looks better, more intuetive.

The shortcurs issue:
    The Shift+F12 looks much better now. The issue with shift+f5 and f6 is like this:
    I hate running applications under gdb, as they take a long time to load. This is why I run them usually without gdb. I would like a single button - F6. Stopping a debug session, is not something I normally do, as one should let the applications end normally - a double key hosrtcut is OK there. (IMHO).

Another regression is the way you handle the resizement of the line numbers widget: you resize it as it gets displayed on screen. This is bad, because the size of that widget gets changed while you scroll - a passive command. This leads to the text moving to the left or right when you scroll and confuses you when looking for problems in your code. Also look at the locations in which the "stop" marks are been put now.

The deal with the escape, turned out bad. Now when you press "F10" you cannot abort the messing with menus, at least on win32. Can anyone confirm this for X11? The intentions are good, but a better implementation is bad, maybe you should ovveride the keypress event of the main window instead of using a QAction on the main window?

I have been using the application for a few days, and I am quite impressed about this application. I decided to make a new project and look how it behaves:

I added a new source "main.cpp", and then "Would you like to add also an head file?" now thanks, not this time. Then I added another source "mainwindow.cpp", this time I added also the heder as well. I also added a bunch of existing source with a single opendialog, it worked and all files were put in the correct group. Way cool.

I wrote the code, and started compiling and it faild due compilation problems. I could click the error, and the correct source (and line) were selected. Cool. Then it failed due linking. I needed to add the XML module to the linking. One click and it was done. Yay!

Then it still failed, since the default project is debug, and I don't have the debug libraries here, only the release. Another single click, and I am ready to go.

Then I pressed F5 (as F6 still does nothing usable... hint hint...). The application told me I don't have the debug exe, but only release, and then it asked me to run the release version. WAY COOL.

It looks like this application is way more advanced then I thinked at the beginning. There are some rough edges, but damn, its working. I have a shortcut to it on my desktop, and I am using it now as by default "mini ide".

Here is a new list of problems I found, besides what I mentioned yesterday and above:

1. Qt environment not set up. It's not needed sometimes, as Qt knows it's own directory. Adding a "do not display again" checkbox could be a good idea. I know it works without it, I don't need it, don't bother me with this.
    2. GDB not installed. Same as (1), it's ok to alert me the 17 first times I run the application. On the 18th time, I am already aware of it. See my proposition on (1).
    3. Choose colors dialog. When you try to choose a color for the syntax, the currently selected color is not marked by default on the new dialog.
    4. Default syntax colors. By default the "precompiler" "keywords" and "qtkeywords" have the same colors. Please also note that types are not keywords...
    5. Edit - cancel/restore. The wording here is problematic. Lets say I add a new file to the project. Does restore or cancel reverts this operation? It's common to use "undo/redo" for text operations, which is what these commands do.
    6. Modifying variables is very difficult. I needed to modify the include path for my new project, and I needed to look up in the documentation whats the exact variable name. May I suggest adding a pre configured list of variables which by default are empty? You should write this to the config file only if the list is modified and non empty. This can help a lot,specially for those of us who do not remember the configuration items.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

patrik08
    I read again your post and I understand the reason. I modified your code. Thus, can open files or a project. Good idea, thanks. Include in next 0.14 version.
    Qt Code:
    1. //
    2. for ( int i = 1; i < app.argc(); ++i )
    3. {
    4. QString s = app.argv()[ i ];
    5. if( s.right(4).toLower() == ".pro" )
    6. {
    7. main->ouvrirProjet(s);
    8. break;
    9. }
    10. else
    11. main->ouvrirFichier( QStringList( s ) );
    12. }
    13. //
    just before : app.connect( &app, SIGNAL( lastWindowClosed() ), &app, SLOT( quit() ) );

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,
    New version 0.14 is released on server : http://qide.free.fr

elcuco
    All your requests are corrected except the problem of short cut (Ctrl key don' t works one Linux !)

patrik08
    Drag and drop files or project to application works.

All news are on server.

I await your remarks,

jlbrd