Thread: Working from network drive

Qt products
    Qt/Embedded

Default Working from network drive

Hi all,

I have noted that Qt designer on Windows is VERY slow when working from a project/files that is located on a network drive. Using process explorer I can see that a lot of IO activity is going on every time i open/close/select a file.
    The network drive is a SAMBA drive located on a linux server. I use the same network drive in other editors/IDEs and see no issues there (using process explorer I see much less network activity with these). The other editor is for example Source Insight which has many of the same completion and source browsing facilities, so this should not be much different than Qt designer.

I hope that I can resolve this issue somehow because I am otherwise very pleased with Qt Designer and would like to use this as my preferred editor/IDE. Does anyone have an idea what might be the issue, and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,
    Thomas

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Working from network drive

Windows does not cache requests to a network drive, and since Qt makes lots of small reads/writes, it will slow down across a network.

The solution would be to copy the files to your local drive, work on them there, and then copy them back when you are finished.