Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default SOLVED: Operator overloading QDataStream

Quick update:
    After I wrote this post i tried something i didn't do before. I had a working overload in another class that worked so and the only difference was that the definition was in the header file and the actual function was in the .cpp file. When i tested what happend when i moved the code to the header file i got the same error, so apparently you cant write the code of the overloaded function in the header file. When i applied this to my problem the errors went away.

Hello there,

I am trying to overload the << operator of QDataStream so I can use it with one of my own classes. Now the first problem that i have is that the classes are inherited classes.

I have AbstractPostItem which is the base class and PostDataItem and PostHeaderItem that inherited AbstractPostItem.

I first tried to implement the overloaded function in all the classes but that didn't work. I know have one overloaded function in AbstractPostItem that looks like this:

Qt Code:
    1. QDataStream& operator<<(QDataStream& out, const AbstractPostItem& outputItem)
    2. {
    3. return outputItem.saveData(out);
    4. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

It calls saveData which looks like this:
    Qt Code:
    1. virtual QDataStream& saveData(QDataStream& out) const
    2. {
    3. out << childItems;
    4. return out;
    5. }

This function is implemented in all the classes.

But know when i try to compile the code i get some strange error:
    Qt Code:
    1. mingw32-make: Leaving directory `G:/projects/Post_Program'
    2. ./debug/mainwindow.o: In function `ZlsR11QDataStreamRK16AbstractPostItem':
    3. e:/Qt/2010.01/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/arch/qatomic_i386.h:125: multiple definition of `operator<<(QDataStream&, AbstractPostItem const&)'
    4. ./debug/postview.o:G:\projects\Post_Program/./abstractpostitem.h:100: first defined here
    5. ./debug/main.o: In function `ZlsR11QDataStreamRK16AbstractPostItem':
    6. e:/Qt/2010.01/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/arch/qatomic_i386.h:125: multiple definition of `operator<<(QDataStream&, AbstractPostItem const&)'
    7. ./debug/postview.o:G:\projects\Post_Program/./abstractpostitem.h:100: first defined here
    8. ./debug/newpost.o: In function `ZlsR11QDataStreamRK16AbstractPostItem':
    9. e:/Qt/2010.01/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qglobal.h:1368: multiple definition of `operator<<(QDataStream&, AbstractPostItem const&)'
    10. ./debug/postview.o:G:\projects\Post_Program/./abstractpostitem.h:100: first defined here
    11. ./debug/postmodel.o: In function `ZlsR11QDataStreamRK16AbstractPostItem':
    12. e:/Qt/2010.01/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qglobal.h:1368: multiple definition of `operator<<(QDataStream&, AbstractPostItem const&)'
    13. ./debug/postview.o:G:\projects\Post_Program/./abstractpostitem.h:100: first defined here
    14. ./debug/postheaderitem.o: In function `ZlsR11QDataStreamRK16AbstractPostItem':
    15. e:/Qt/2010.01/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qglobal.h:1368: multiple definition of `operator<<(QDataStream&, AbstractPostItem const&)'
    16. ./debug/postview.o:G:\projects\Post_Program/./abstractpostitem.h:100: first defined here
    17. ./debug/postdataitem.o: In function `ZlsR11QDataStreamRK16AbstractPostItem':
    18. e:/Qt/2010.01/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qglobal.h:1368: multiple definition of `operator<<(QDataStream&, AbstractPostItem const&)'
    19. ./debug/postview.o:G:\projects\Post_Program/./abstractpostitem.h:100: first defined here
    20. ./debug/moc_postview.o: In function `ZlsR11QDataStreamRK16AbstractPostItem':
    21. e:/Qt/2010.01/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qglobal.h:1368: multiple definition of `operator<<(QDataStream&, AbstractPostItem const&)'
    22. ./debug/postview.o:G:\projects\Post_Program/./abstractpostitem.h:100: first defined here
    23. ./debug/moc_mainwindow.o: In function `ZlsR11QDataStreamRK16AbstractPostItem':
    24. e:/Qt/2010.01/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qglobal.h:1368: multiple definition of `operator<<(QDataStream&, AbstractPostItem const&)'
    25. ./debug/postview.o:G:\projects\Post_Program/./abstractpostitem.h:100: first defined here
    26. ./debug/moc_newpost.o: In function `ZlsR11QDataStreamRK16AbstractPostItem':
    27. e:/Qt/2010.01/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qglobal.h:1368: multiple definition of `operator<<(QDataStream&, AbstractPostItem const&)'
    28. ./debug/postview.o:G:\projects\Post_Program/./abstractpostitem.h:100: first defined here
    29. ./debug/moc_postmodel.o: In function `ZlsR11QDataStreamRK16AbstractPostItem':
    30. e:/Qt/2010.01/qt/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qglobal.h:1368: multiple definition of `operator<<(QDataStream&, AbstractPostItem const&)'
    31. ./debug/postview.o:G:\projects\Post_Program/./abstractpostitem.h:100: first defined here
    32. collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    33. mingw32-make[1]: *** [debug/Post_Program.exe] Error 1
    34. mingw32-make: *** [debug] Error 2
    35. Exited with code 2.
    36. Error while building project Post_Program (target: Desktop)
    37. When executing build step ''

It is talking about multiple definitions but i cant find the multiple definition, when i look on line 1368 in qglobal is says :
    Qt Code:
    1. inline void qt_noop() {}

So i have no idea where my multiple definition is.

Hope you guys can help me.

Marcel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eekhoorn12; 9th May 2010 at 23:19. Reason: Solved