Thread: My own Hungarian notation style

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Lightbulb My own Hungarian notation style

I'm planning on quite a huge project that handles lots of details (don't they all), and would like to teach myself a clear, good style for coding. I understand this is partially personal, but if I'm doing something utterly forbidden by <fill in the blank> or downright stupid, I'd like to know beforehand
    Some questions:
    1) I'm adapting hungarian notation, but hate the "standard", so here it is:
    - (u)int: (u)i_...
    - float: f_...
    - double: d_...
    - string: s_...
    - size_t: sz_...
    - (u)intptr_t: (u)ptr_...
    - vector<string>: v_s_...
    - vector<class T *>: vptr_...
    - Constructor and simple set-function arguments meant to be put in the initializer list are not prefixed (data members are clear enough): say a class has an int and a float as data member, then the Class would look like this (I know, implementation in header is bad...):
    Qt Code:
    1. class MyClass
    2. {
    3. public:
    4. MyClass(const float myFloat, const int myInt)
    5. : myFloat(f),
    6. myInt(i)
    7. { };
    8. private:
    9. float f_myFloat;
    10. int i_myInt;
    11. };
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    That last bit just to avoid stupid mandatory renaming of the arguments.

2) The project is a build system for c/c++ and eventually other stuff as well. I read online that CMake has some (optional?) dependencies and that that sucks for a "build system", especially or using it on a tight-kept Linux install. But this means that stuff like directory listing and file access will have to be handled by me, in contrast to Qt's great functions/classes for exactly that. Thoughts?

3) Going on from point 2, for example getting directory listing (to resolve a search for all *.cpp files), there are two ways (except Qt of course):
    - system(dir) and system(ls) platform specific and output parsing
    - platform specific messes with native OS function calls.
    The first is simpler in principle, but probably slower and harder to get right. The second will require lots of research by me.

Any comments are welcome, I appreciate all help/input/contribution.
    Last edited by rubenvb; 16th May 2010 at 17:02. Reason: constructor example is wrong code

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: My own Hungarian notation style

To me hungarian notation only makes sense (if any) for non-object-oriented programming (like C) and when you don't have a decent coding environment. You have to think whether knowing the type of a variable is more important than knowing what it represents. If you have many classes in your project with similar names, prefixing instances of those classes with abbreviations from the class name will lead nowhere - there is no chance you will remember them all.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Personally, I adopt the coding policy document that I have to abide to at work, its easier than having two different standards for my own projects and work projects.

Whilst I can't for obvious reasons post the 100+ page document, a few things from memory that are differnt to your standard:

All class variables start with m_ (for member), to distinguist them from local variables and method parameters.
    There are variable prefixes, but they don't match your list - instead of underscore, we use camel case. eg. 'bAbort' is a boolean variable, 'iCount' is an integer variable (unsigned/signed doesn't matter). String is 's' regardless of class. A null terminated string (eg. char * or char[]) is sz (eg. szTitle).

We use autocompletion, so the above helps shorten the list too, so when you see a function requiring a null terminated string, you can just type sz or m_sz depending on the scope you want. All class variables must be documented regardless of whether there usage seems obvious or not, local variables not so much. These comments show up in the autocompletion window to help you make a decision.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

As noted above, modern languages and development systems make keeping track of variable types pretty much pointless. If you like that notation, go ahead and use it. But I don't see any real benefit to be gained from it.

Personally, the only thing like this I use is a simple notation that keeps track of whether variables are class members or not. For instance, 'foo' denotes a simple, local variable, while anything prefixed with 'm' such as 'mFoo' denotes a variable that is a class member. Although even here, I'm inconsistent in my usage. It has come in handy, though.

As far as dependencies go, I don't think that's an issue. Development machines are nearly always loaded with all manner of tools and resources that the customer's target machine won't possess. They're there to help get the work done as efficiently as possible. So for a build system, at least one that's used during development, I wouldn't be worried about dependencies.

Where dependencies cause problems is when tools tied to them wind up being delivered to end users, who likely won't have them and who won't appreciate having to make additional downloads just to get an application up and running. This is another reason to hate cmake; when compared to the completely self-contained configure-based build system, it's an additional headache I simply don't need.

Also, frankly, cmake is a tool that solves a problem which doesn't exist. There are already plenty of time-tested means of building software projects out there that actually work; there's no need for another one, particularly one as bug-riddled and poorly documented as cmake.

In the end, do whatever you're comfortable with, and keep your end users in mind.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I agree, the only real benefit I see from prefixing variables (other than being slammed at code review meetings for not using them) is that it helps in calling methods. If your doing maintainance on code that hasn't been touched for 6 months or more, it's nice to reduce the list of variables to those that are truly compatible with an appropriate method call parameter. It's true that 9 times out of 10 if you choose the wrong one, the compiler will complain anyway, but If you can write code that requires fewer compile attempts, its a bonus (certainly when each compile can take several minutes each).

As for building code, "./configure && make" just simply rules and gets the job done. I don't want anything more complicated than that.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by fatjuicymole View Post
    it's nice to reduce the list of variables to those that are truly compatible with an appropriate method call parameter.
    Are they? What about implicit casting and inheritance? "Compatible" and "identical" are two different things.

And on the other end there is a situation when you want to find a variable holding some piece of information but you don't remember the type of the variable. It's practically impossible to guess the variable name without spending time to deduce what the type (or class) of this particular variable might be. Usually when I'm calling methods, I know what data I want to pass to it, I don't need them sorted by type, sorting by meaning is much more important to me.
    Last edited by wysota; 17th May 2010 at 10:42.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I'll toss in one more observation - I strongly recommend cranking your compiler's warning level up as high as it will go from the very beginning of any project, and working to eliminate ANY warnings that arise as they occur. This will catch most of the casting issues, and at least force you to insert explicit casts where needed.

Trying to do this with legacy code is often the stuff of nightmares, as literally thousands of warnings are thrown during a build. It does pay off in the long run, however.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Thumbs up Re: My own Hungarian notation style

Wow, a great series of replies!

Some counter-thoughts to explain my motivation for this (personal and more of an academic) project:
    - ./configure && make works, only when it works, when it's broken, it's hell on a broomstick. Debugging the Makefile.am/in and the script itself, together with the "never-got-the-point-of" libtool, it's almost like you need to program your build along with the project itself. Add to that MSYS/Cygwin, which quite honestly suck (MSYS for compatibility and shell, Cygwin for speed and size), configure/make is not a good solution in my personal opinion. Time-tested yes, but broken in so many places.
    - About the Hungarian notation: all valid arguments. I started using it only to prevent hidden casts from unsigned to signed and vice versa, and I'm teaching myself to use the right, *_t kind of types, which (should) work independently of platform or bitness. The notation would also be to prevent any compiler errors and limit compilation attemps.
    As for building code, "./configure && make" just simply rules and gets the job done. I don't want anything more complicated than that.
    Well... configure 1) takes too long 2) checks things a build system should know IMHO 3) is not "simple" in my definition of that word. CMake runs a shorter configure stage, but still depends on other tools to do the making. My tool will run all the commands itself, and use a simple project file layout.

PS: for those interested: www.gitorious.org/CAKE/wiki. It's a serious work in progress, but explains what my plans are. Perhaps a new thread is in order

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Are they? What about implicit casting and inheritance? "Compatible" and "identical" are two different things.
    The developer would still know what types that are trying to use, so it would still work.
    And on the other end there is a situation when you want to find a variable holding some piece of information but you don't remember the type of the variable.
    This is still possible, as typing any part of the variable name also shortens the completion list. You will then also notice the type from the variable name, so it would make it easier to notice which you need.
    Last edited by squidge; 17th May 2010 at 19:23.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by fatjuicymole View Post
    The developer would still know what types that are trying to use, so it would still work.
    So... I need to have the whole inheritance tree in my head just to find out what the variable holding my FooBar is called? I still prefer to call my FooBar object foobar or m_foobar, regardless if it is an unsigned int or a QStyleOptionViewItemV4.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I suppose I'd be remiss not to mention another, very simple build system that's readily available - qmake. I've been using it for a few simple, non-Qt projects lately, and it's hard to beat it for simplicity and speed of assembling a build system.

Not sure how well it scales to large, heterogenous projects, but it ain't bad for small to medium size tasks.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

So... I need to have the whole inheritance tree in my head just to find out what the variable holding my FooBar is called? I still prefer to call my FooBar object foobar or m_foobar, regardless if it is an unsigned int or a QStyleOptionViewItemV4.
    You misunderstand. You could type foobar and be offered the suggestion "m_szFoobar", the developer would know that he actually does want a null terminated string, so would select that option.

I've also fixed the quoting in my previous post that may clear up the confusion.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Maemo/MeeGo

I personally find that Hungarian notation just makes the code look like crap (Look at KVIrc's source code). And with modern IDE's (one's that aren't crap). can tell you a variable's type by hovering over it. Why you think Qt doesn't use all those crappy variable names? If you use it with an api that doesn't. Just makes it more confusing.
    Qt-4.7.3 | Gentoo ~amd64 | KDE-4.7
    Aki IRC Client for KDE4 | Qt Documentation

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

There will always be arguments for and against. For example, why force someone to hover over a variable to find out it's type when a quick glance will tell you the type without moving your mouse?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I'd rather hover over the thing than having a glance at a variable called m_nFoo and concluding that it's a signed integer while some asswipe forgot to change the name to m_szFoo...
    Horse sense is the thing that keeps horses from betting on people. --W.C. Fields

Ask Smart Questions

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

That kind of thing would be picked up at the software review stage and the appropriate engineer fired for being incompetent.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

*should be picked up.

Not abiding by hungarian notation is something I wouldn't consider being incompetent, but we all have our opinions
    Horse sense is the thing that keeps horses from betting on people. --W.C. Fields

Ask Smart Questions