Thread: Can I connect multiple buttons to same slot, but pass different parameters ?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Can I connect multiple buttons to same slot, but pass different parameters ?

Hey guys .. My question here is regarding signals and slots ..

For example, say you have like 10 buttons, all of which pass a number into a factorial function .. the only difference is that they all pass a different number into this one factorial function ... suppose the function is:

int factorial (int a);

so for example, button1 evaluates this function where a =1,
    so for example, button2 evaluates this function where a =2,
    so for example, button3 evaluates this function where a =3,

and so on ..

In such a case, is there any way to connect these multiple 'clicked' signals from each individual button to the same factorial slot, but just pass in a different value for a .. ? The alternative is to make a connect statement for each individual button, which seems rather inefficient considering they all do more or less the same thing ..

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Can I connect multiple buttons to same slot, but pass different parameters ?

There are several ways to do this, but the most logical way, from a design standpoint, would be to extend your button to emit a signal with an integer argument. This signal can be connected to the button's clicked() signal. The data itself can be stored in the new button class, or simply extracted from the button's label and converted to an integer.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Can I connect multiple buttons to same slot, but pass different parameters ?

A good alternative would be to use QSignalMapper but you'll still need to do a separate connection for each button.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.