Thread: We'll need a QT Jambi section!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: We'll need a QT Jambi section!

Quote Originally Posted by miketech View Post
    And I favor Java over Python
    Poor you Maybe you'll walk out of darkness one day.

Ok, I know the API of Qt, but there are many things in Qt I don't need again, because I have them already in Java.
    Java is only a language and provides only the basics. Correct me if I'm wrong but things like SWING are not part of the language specification but rather an external component (a framework, like Qt is).

In C++ it makes sence, because the standard doesn't offer many technologies. But in Java I already have sockets, threads, xml parsing ...
    Many things will work better/faster than using "native" (look above) Java components, as a big part of them is compiled into binary and not interpreted. Apart from that, you can easily port C++/Qt code into QtJambi code and have a working Java-based application. Try "easily" porting SWING based code to C++.

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Poor you Maybe you'll walk out of darkness one day.
    Personally I like strongly typed programming languages. And if I wanna use a scripting language I favor ruby over python

Java is only a language and provides only the basics. Correct me if I'm wrong but things like SWING are not part of the language specification but rather an external component (a framework, like Qt is).

Many things will work better/faster than using "native" (look above) Java components, as a big part of them is compiled into binary and not interpreted. Apart from that, you can easily port C++/Qt code into QtJambi code and have a working Java-based application. Try "easily" porting SWING based code to C++.

Hm, java isn't interpreted.

Imho it is only a matter of choice. Let's see what the future brings.

Greetings

Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Oh, really? That's something new... What CPU family do you use? AFAIK no current processor familiy runs java code natively - they all need a virtual machine... But hey, that's great news, if that's true maybe java applications will move from TurtleSpeed mode to CheetahSpeed mode soon!

Sorry for being ironic

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Neither is it native code. It's compiled into byte code which must be run a virtual machine. Even with the JIT compiler, most of the program is still byte codes being interpreted in the virtual machine. You simply can't get the performance with Java that you can with native code.