Thread: System File Association

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default System File Association

Is there a programmatic way to associate a file extension with the application? Then the user could double-click the file name to start the app with that file. I understand that it can be done in the install program, but I would like to do it within the code. Thanks.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: System File Association

What you're asking for is OS-specific, and not really a Qt question. The OS has to know to start one app or another. If you're packaging your program for Linux, you usually want to include the file association in a post-install script of your package.

Have a look at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_association to start .

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks. Yes, I know that the associations are OS specific, but much of Qt is designed to make OS specific code disappear. I was hoping that this deployment detail had been considered in code, so that the relevant files/registrations could be handled directly. I suppose not.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Typically, the job of associating applications with extensions is done by the OS-specific installer of your application, not your application itself.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60

Quote Originally Posted by suslik View Post
    What you're asking for is OS-specific, and not really a Qt question. The OS has to know to start one app or another. If you're packaging your program for Linux, you usually want to include the file association in a post-install script of your package.

Have a look at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_association to start .
    I thought that the sole purpose of Qt is to handle "OS-specific" issues.
    Currently a developer has to go through a lot of pain implementing it himself. It is relativaly straightforward on Windows but Linux is a mess. For example Gnome 2.2 is very different from Gnome 2.8 implementation.
    And no, it is not the installer only issue. It might be if the application handles a single file extension.
    Many applications that handle multiple file associations allow the user to change the settings.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Exactly, but this detail is not as interesting as others, and so is unlikely to get support. We probably need to volunteer.