Thread: Qt Creator: Not able to see value of QString etc even with python enabled gdb

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question Qt Creator: Not able to see value of QString etc even with python enabled gdb

Hi

I installed Qt SDK on Linux_x86_64. I'm using Qt Creator 2.0.0 present in it. I built a python enabled gdb 7.1.To confirm whether my gdb is python enabled I did :

~/gdb7.1build/gdb/gdb --interpreter=mi
    ~"GNU gdb (GDB) 7.1\n"
    ~"Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.\n"
    ~"License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>\n"
    ~"This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.\n"
    ~"There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type \"show copying\"\n"
    ~"and \"show warranty\" for details.\n"
    ~"This GDB was configured as \"x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu\".\n"
    ~"For bug reporting instructions, please see:\n"
    ~"<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.\n"
    (gdb)
    -list-features
    ^done,features=["frozen-varobjs","pending-breakpoints","thread-info","python"]
    (gdb)

Clearly I can see it is python enabled. I have python 2.4.3. My problem is that I can't see the values of QString etc. I have unchecked "Use debugging helpers" in Tools->options->debugger since I wan't to use python based debugging helpers and not the precompiled ones in qtc-debugging-helper. Do i need to add anything to my .gdbinit ? Currently i'm only looking to use python based debugging helpers of QString etc and don't wish to write my own debugging helpers of custom classes(will try this later)

NOTE: I get a warning in application output window &"warning: GDB: Failed to set controlling terminal: Invalid argument\n "
    Do I need to rebuild Qt creator from sources after installing python enabled gdb or can I use directly the once present in SDK ??

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Qt Creator: Not able to see value of QString etc even with python enabled gdb

The python helpers will be picked up automatically.

Except when you disable them with something like 'I have unchecked "Use debugging helpers" in Tools->options->debugger'

The warning is harmless.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Qt Creator: Not able to see value of QString etc even with python enabled gdb

Looking at it a second time: Python 2.4.x is probably the problem. Qt Creator requires Python 2.5 or 2.6. The debugger log (Windows->Views->Debugger) contains probably some hints.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I had same problem after update/installation that debugger didn't show e.g. content of QStrings. Environment is Qt Creator 2.0.0 for Windows. Problem was with the debugger helpers as said above:
    Debugger properties/debugging helper/use debugger helper(check this one)