Thread: Creating a waterfall plot with the spectrogram

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Creating a waterfall plot with the spectrogram

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Writing a tutorial is one of my priorities, when Qwt 6.0.0 has been done.Uwe
    Uwe v6.0.2 is out - if this tutorial exists, please post the location. It is sorely needed by Qwt newbies - as are working practical examples.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Qwt 6.1-rc1 is out too and all I have done so far is buying a book about DocBook.
    Concerning the examples: what topics would you like to see that are not covered by the existing ( 6.1 ) examples already ?

Uwe

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Reviewing v6.1 examples now.

In general generic examples that do nothing are not useful in practice for newbies to Qwt. On topic, an example of using Qwt to make a waterfall widget that displays sound captured (from say a jack audio input client) would be an outstandingly practical example for anyone as long as it works.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

In general generic examples that do nothing are not useful in practice for newbies to Qwt.
    I completely disagree, examples like simpleplot are exactly what a newbie needs. The complete example has 42 lines of code and shows how easy it is to set up an application with a curve chart. This is the relevant information a user needs to know to get a project started.

On topic, an example of using Qwt to make a waterfall widget that displays sound captured (from say a jack audio input client) would be an outstandingly practical example for anyone as long as it works.
    Nothing could be more off topic than this. A waterfall plot qualifies as a demo like the oscilloscope - a cool application showing the power of Qwt, but leaving a newbie completely clueless, when reading the code.

But don't get me wrong: I would like to have a demo for a waterfall plot too, but the problem is the generation of the data:

• examples have to run on all target platforms without external dependencies - nobody installs and runs jack only to see how Qwt works.
    • you can't blow up the size of a Qwt tarball with recorded data ( like the cpuplot example does for systems without a proc file system )

That's why in the end examples often end with synthetic data.

So if you have a specification for a waterfall plot and an idea how to generate the data I would be willing to implement such a demo. Also I could imagine to offer a more high level set of widgets - if I would have reasonable specifications - like:

• QwtOscilloscope
    • QwtWaterfallPlot

This is not the first thread about a waterfall example, but unfortunately ideas like this usually die as soon as I'm asking for any type of contribution ...

Uwe