Thread: Good Developer vs Bad Developer

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Good Developer vs Bad Developer

Just one more:

A brilliant developer knows how to make QObject subclasses available in scripts as both a return type and as an object.

Qt Code:
    1. var myObject = new MyObject;
    2. myObject = someOtherObject.getMyObject();
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Ohh dear, is this difficult :-(

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I don't think anyone has ever had a complete design of the application. Software is an organic thing. Not something you design, build and never touch again. Sometimes you have to start coding to get a feel for the right solution (prototyping, tracer-bullet programming and other buzz-words).
    So true. Infact one could say that only a good developer can react to those changes. In all of non-trivial software you are going to experience feedback from multiple sources, so your design and/or implementation will indeed change. A good programmer understands that no implementation is ever complete. A good programmer is never surprised. (Ok, I lie, but a good programmer is infinitely less prone to being surprised). A good programmer does not hold any given implementation sacred.

That's it for now.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Wanted to rant and figured this thread the most appropriate for it.

Does it seem to anyone else that Qt and how easy it appears to be (and indeed it is - you can have a trivial program with a UI up in moments with Creator) is drawing in the same crowd that suddenly appeared on the scene with the advent of Visual Basic? Anyone smell what I'm cooking? I understand that Qt and Creator have the goals of lowering the bar for entry into the design and implementation world, but good lord.

I'm not saying that all Visual Basic programmers are poor either. I've seen some rather impressive things done with it (it can call c and asm libs which totally unleashes the speed the applications are capable of). Hell, my first language was BASIC (which eventually lead me into assembly thanks to PEEK and POKE).

Hmm. Am I trying to say that RAD prior to education on programming is extremely detrimental? Maybe. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I'd have to agree with you, people are downloading QtCreator and expecting to have an application up and running without first understanding how to program in C++. There seems a lot of "I don't want/don't have time to learn, just give me example code and I'll copy and paste". When it then doesn't work because they changed something major, they just post the outcome of the compiler and say something along the lines of "It doesn't work, fix it for me."

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Timoteo View Post
    Wanted to rant and figured this thread the most appropriate for it.

Does it seem to anyone else that Qt and how easy it appears to be (and indeed it is - you can have a trivial program with a UI up in moments with Creator) is drawing in the same crowd that suddenly appeared on the scene with the advent of Visual Basic? Anyone smell what I'm cooking? I understand that Qt and Creator have the goals of lowering the bar for entry into the design and implementation world, but good lord.

I'm not saying that all Visual Basic programmers are poor either. I've seen some rather impressive things done with it (it can call c and asm libs which totally unleashes the speed the applications are capable of). Hell, my first language was BASIC (which eventually lead me into assembly thanks to PEEK and POKE).

Hmm. Am I trying to say that RAD prior to education on programming is extremely detrimental? Maybe. What do you guys think?
    I don't know where the crowds come from. Obviously the general idea is that Qt is easy. Well, it is easy, but it is no walk in the park (it is compared to MFC development though). Anyone not willing to invest the time in learning C++ (or Python or any other language with Qt bindings) will come out disappointed. Shame really.
    Horse sense is the thing that keeps horses from betting on people. --W.C. Fields

Ask Smart Questions

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Maemo/MeeGo

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    I don't know where the crowds come from. Obviously the general idea is that Qt is easy. Well, it is easy, but it is no walk in the park (it is compared to MFC development though). Anyone not willing to invest the time in learning C++ (or Python or any other language with Qt bindings) will come out disappointed. Shame really.
    I see that all too well especially on Qt on freenode. It's so common it ain't even funny.
    Qt-4.7.3 | Gentoo ~amd64 | KDE-4.7
    Aki IRC Client for KDE4 | Qt Documentation

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I understand that Qt and Creator have the goals of lowering the bar for entry into the design and implementation world, but good lord.
    I don't think that is any of creator goals.
    Its goal (IMHO) is to make coding easy and sensible for coders.

I'd have to agree with you, people are downloading QtCreator and expecting to have an application up and running without first understanding how to program in C++.
    Yes guys, but that is not the fault of QtCreator.
    Its the fault of the people who are not willing to learn C++.
    These people were always there, and will always be there, nothing anyone can do about it.
    Just because there are such people doesn't mean creator/designer should not be easy and make development a joy.
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

To me the reason of this is simple and it can be described by four letters - LGPL. Back "in the old days" your Qt application had to be either Open Source or you had to pay for a commercial licence. Now you can write a closed source app without paying which causes all those would-be programmers that stopped their self development at the level of writing scripts in Visual Basic to leverage the opportunity to earn some money writing commercial software and hoping that a good development environment (tools + frameworks) will make up for their lack of skills. The sad truth is that it won't. Qt is easy provided that you know C++ well. Many people tend to forget that.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Maybe we should restrict the 'script kiddies' to using PyQt. Python is a very good scripting language and for a would-be programmer easier to learn and use than C++. And the binding with Qt is very good. (Used it 5 years ago on a Linux system, guess it only got better by now, and guess Windows works also fine.)

Then we just have to give them 1 installer that puts Python+Qt+PyQt on their system in 1 step so we get no questions about that.

And then we need a script-kiddy detector in the forum

Best regards,
    Marc

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by marcvanriet View Post
    Maybe we should restrict the 'script kiddies' to using PyQt. Python is a very good scripting language and for a would-be programmer easier to learn and use than C++.
    First of all we have no way of enforcing such a restriction. Second of all people not willing to learn C++ will not be willing to learn Python. According to me the path is education, not restriction. We've been discussing some ideas during Developer Days, we'll see if we can make anything happen. But this requires time.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

nice thread

my simple thought:

I think that good developer will tend to reuse the code, when a bad one will just try to rewrite things from scratch. Bad developers likes to write their own code, and good devs know that sometimes it's even more important to read someone else's code and try to improve and reuse it. Bad developers thinks that code written from scratch will always be better than old one.

Good dev: "This function/class/system is a mess. Let's try to do some refactoring."
    Bad dev: "This function/class/system is a mess. I will write my own."

Of course there can be situations when only thing left to do is to rewrite, but I think you know what I'm talking about.