Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default NetworqDebugger

NetworqDebugger is a simple tool for software developers that makes it easy to debug networking applications. It provides a proxy that will sit between your software and a remote server and display the conversation between them in GUI.

You can choose from two different modes of operation:

SOCKS5
    This is the recommended mode of operation that is compliant with SOCKS5 protocol. Every application that supports SOCKS5 (such as most web browsers) can use it just by activating the proxy setting in the software. It is also easy to use it in case of your own Qt software - just create a network proxy settings object and use it for your application:
    Qt Code:
    1. QNetworkProxy proxy(QNetworkProxy::Socks5Proxy, "127.0.0.1", 8080));
    2. QNetworkProxy::setApplicationProxy(proxy);
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Also remember to make sure the proxy setting for your actual sockets is correct (i.e. set to QNetworkProxy::DefaultProxy which is the default).

Transparent proxy
    This is a fallback mechanism if you can't use SOCKS5. In this case instead of connecting to the remote end, your application connects to the proxy and the proxy makes a connection for you to the remote server based on the address you specify in NetworqDebugger. The address can be specified globally for all connections ("Default route") or can be input when the connection is being established ("Ask for route").

For example, if you want to debug your web browser by checking how it communicates with http://www.qtcentre.org webserver, you point your browser to localhost:8080 (or whatever else address you have set for the proxy) and tell the proxy to connect to www.qtcentre.org:80.

The application sits in the system tray and is configurable via a context menu.

If you use NetworqDebugger, be sure to check if your firewall allows connections to the port the proxy listens on.

Current features:
    - SOCKS5 mode of operation for TCP client-side connections,
    - transparent proxy mode of operation for TCP client-side connections,
    - configurable listening address,
    - configurable default remote address,
    - session management (application 'lives' through logouts under X11).

Compilation:
    1. ungzip/untar
    2. run qmake
    3. run (n)make

Feedback is welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: NetworqDebugger

unfortunately i cannot decompress the file, it says that the archive file is corrupted
    Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity. – Dennis Ritchie

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

The archive is doublegzipped. I ungzipped it once for you.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

4. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

saeedIRHA (9th October 2011)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Can your proxy handle all browser requests (GET, POST) or it is limited? I would like to test it but it crashes immediately after starting. Qt 4.7.4 Linux.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

It shouldn't care about the request type.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Do you plan to improve the program so that it can run with Linux?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I try to build on Mac osx New Lions 10.7.2 & qt -> qmake -v
    QMake version 2.01a
    Using Qt version 4.8.0 in /Developer/qt/lib

Qt Code:
    1. g++ -c -pipe -g -gdwarf-2 -arch x86_64 -Xarch_x86_64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -Wall -W -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/Developer/qt/mkspecs/macx-g++ -I. -I/Developer/qt/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I/Developer/qt/include/QtCore -I/Developer/qt/lib/QtNetwork.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I/Developer/qt/include/QtNetwork -I/Developer/qt/lib/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I/Developer/qt/include/QtGui -I/Developer/qt/include -I. -I. -F/Developer/qt/lib -o conversationserver.o conversationserver.cpp
    2. conversationserver.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void ConversationServer::incomingConnection(int)’:
    3. conversationserver.cpp:189: error: cast from ‘const char*’ to ‘quint32’ loses precision
    4. make: *** [conversationserver.o] Error 1
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Please find a working version of the program in the attachment.