Thread: Error -"QT version is not properly installed, please run make install" on Windows XP

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Exclamation Error -"QT version is not properly installed, please run make install" on Windows XP

I have installed the Qt 4.7.0 SDK on my office machine (Windows XP, SP3). And I have set the paths in the environment variables for PATH, QMAKESPEC & QTDIR (image attached) as per my folder locations (attached).

I read it at
    http://sector.ynet.sk/qt4-tutorial/preparations.html
    that after setting the paths i need to check whether QT and mingw are properly installed or not by executing :
    gcc -v
    make -v
    qmake -v

the second command returned an error, but then i googled a littilt more and found out that instead of "make.exe", another file with the name "mingw32-make.exe" is located in \mingw\bin..that`s why the error..So i changed the name to "make.exe" and then tried make -v, it worhed fine (screenshot attached)..

Now when i open QT, go to Tools>options>QT4 and click on the path under "MAnual", i see a message in the lower tab that "Qt version is not properly installed, please run make install"..
    When i try to run a simple "Hello World" prog, i get the same error....

I am not getting why I am getting this error..i ran the setup in my personal laptop (Vista 32), it worked fine, i didn`t even have to set the environment variables.

Any suggestions??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wysota; 7th October 2010 at 13:15.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

Default Re: Error -"QT version is not properly installed, please run make install" on Windows

Rename it back to the original name "mingw32-make.exe", why did you changed it's name in the first place?

It SDK goes pretty much out of the box (just need the path added if you want to just run the exe without copy the dll's first)

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question Re: Error -"QT version is not properly installed, please run make install" on Windows

Hi
    Still nothing seem to be working..
    A lot of things are still not correct. I typed a few commands in the command prompt and following is the output.

Setting up a MinGW/Qt only environment...
    -- QTDIR set to C:\Qt\2010.05\qt
    -- PATH set to C:\Qt\2010.05\qt\bin
    -- Adding C:\Qt\2010.05\bin to PATH
    -- Adding C:\WINDOWS\System32 to PATH
    -- QMAKESPEC set to win32-g++

C:\Qt\2010.05\qt>mingw32-make -v
    GNU Make 3.81
    Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
    There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
    PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-pc-mingw32

C:\Qt\2010.05\qt>gcc -v
    Using built-in specs.
    Target: mingw32
    Configured with: ../gcc-4.4.0/configure --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,fortran,jav
    a,objc,obj-c++ --disable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-shared --enable-libgcj --enabl
    e-libgomp --with-dwarf2 --disable-win32-registry --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enab
    le-version-specific-runtime-libs --prefix=/mingw --with-gmp=/mingw/src/gmp/root
    --with-mpfr=/mingw/src/mpfr/root --build=mingw32
    Thread model: win32
    gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC)

C:\Qt\2010.05\qt>qmake -v
    QMake version 2.01a
    Using Qt version 4.7.0 in C:/qt-greenhouse/Trolltech/Code_less_create_more/Troll
    tech/Code_less_create_more/Troll/4.6/qt/lib

I have a few querries-
    1. When i am executing gcc -v, why is it saying "Using built-in specs."
    2. qmake -v ----> i have no directory structure with the name "C:/qt-greenhouse/Trolltech/Code_less_create_more/Troll
    tech/Code_less_create_more/Troll/4.6/qt/lib".
    From where is it picking all this??
    I have set all the environment variables correctly.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Error -"QT version is not properly installed, please run make install" on Windows

So what exactly is "not working"? From what you pasted above it seems everything is all right. Maybe apart from the weird path which seems to be result of an incomplete installation (qmake was not patched). What does "echo %PATH%" return?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi
    This is what "echo %PATH%" returns..

C:\Documents and Settings\sharmatr>echo %PATH%
    C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\;C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\
    RSCommon;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS \System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program Files\Windows Imaging\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Rockwell\;C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise\;C:\Qt\2010.05\qt\bin;C:\Qt\2010.05\mingw\bin;C:\Qt \2010.05\bin;C:\windows\system32************************************************** ************

Earlier i thot the error had sth to do with the Service Pack installed on my PC. So i tried 3 different PCs..
    1. PC had SP3 on which it didn`t work
    2. PC had SP2 on which it worked
    3. Another PC had SP3 on which it didn`t work so i uninstalled SP3 and tried again, still it didn`t work.

And all the forums that i have searched into nobody is facing this simailar problem.. so i guess there`s sth wrong with my settings..`m running out of clues..

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Try reinstalling Qt and make sure the installer goes through the "patching qmake" step.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Cool Re: Error -"QT version is not properly installed, please run make install" on Windows

It is working now.
    Struggled for a couple of weeks but finally understood what was going wrong.

In tools>options>QT4>QT>version
    On placing the cursor on the "path" in "MANUAL", I used to see invalid paths set for different variables (like for SRC,

QT_INSTALL_LIBS, QT_INSTALL_DEMOS etc). Something like C:\QT\Trolltech............
    This was because there`s was a shell script which did not run during the installation process due to SOME reason.

SOLUTION:
    In QT directory (mine was "C:\Qt\2010.05\qt"). There was a file with the name "configure". This is the file I am talking about.
    In QT command prompt on executing "configure" followed by "mingw32-make", it ran the script. Took it around 50 min..

I restarted and it`s working fine now.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

So what you actually did was that you have rebuild Qt Possibly with wrong options, by the way.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Smile Re: Error -"QT version is not properly installed, please run make install" on Windows

Oh.really??
    Atleast it`s working now..

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    So what you actually did was that you have rebuild Qt Possibly with wrong options, by the way.
    Please note that I am having exactly this problem; see my recent post. Installed correctly on Vista, but no on XP after multiple installation attempts.

I was toying with the idea of running configure myself until I ran across this thread. You seem to be implying that the installer runs 'configure' with a particular set of arguments; is there some other, safer method of launching configure that will set things up properly, or do you happen to know what the correct set of arguments might be?

See my other post for more details.

Note also: I get exactly the same behavior described in the OP when attempting to run executables; qmake and gcc run, make is not found.
    Last edited by SixDegrees; 13th November 2010 at 00:21.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I have installed q.t.8.3 and qtcreator. But trying to choose the kit for new empty project I see this error---profile is not properly installed--please MAKE INSTALL. I tried to launch the qmake at qmake folder and it producer the relaease and debugegr files.But after the next clicking qmake from appropriate folder produce --"not found registry.cpp". So profiles remains not properly installed. So what is the reason of it. Should I MAKE INSTALL the whole qt libraries, or just qmake? And the second question Qdir QMAkeSpec variable --are they essential for compilation in qtcreator and other IDE? Should I define it in USer variables?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Fix your Windows installation, download and execute the installer behind the link I gave you a couple of posts earlier. You don't need anything else.