Thread: Deploy app in Linux

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Deploy app in Linux

Hi,

I've been searching through this forum and read the Qt documentation's pages about deployment. In Windows I don't have any problems with deployment. I just start my executable and copy all missing libraries (Qt libs and mingw libc) into its directory until it runs...

In Linux this is somehow different, it seems. Of course I can copy all libraries that the app is linked to, but last time I did that, after copying the qt libs it complained about a missing libaudio.so.2. And I don't really want to deploy system libraries with my app.

My project is open source anyway, so I don't really have a problem with distributing a source package. But then it would be good to have a nice configure script in order to handle dependencies and all that. Is there a way to create one from a QtCreator project? A configure script should be quite universal for Qt apps, shoudln't it? Has anyone already written one?

Cheers,
    fallen

Thanks

Default Re: Deploy app in Linux

Well, I think your Windows method is flawed, but I can't even get the Windows version to compile right, so I won't comment. I've never deployed anything on Windows anyway, so maybe I'm crazy.

[libaudio.so.2]

Yes, many Qt classes need this, and depending on the distro attaining it might not be so easy. Are you using a QSound in your project? If so, you will need NAS (Network Audio System) anyway, and I'm pretty sure that comes with libaudio.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

That's what I love about this forum. In my original post I stated that I've actually read the documentation, but still I get a one-line-response with a link just there...

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by The_Fallen View Post
    That's what I love about this forum. In my original post I stated that I've actually read the documentation, but still I get a one-line-response with a link just there...
    Yes, and?
    Did you actually read that completely?
    I do not think so, otherwise you would not ask these questions.

Now, if you have a problem understanding something in that text, please ask that specific question.

Otherwise, Windows, Linux, MacOs, whatever ALL work the same. You have a set of executables, libraries and other files. The executable needs to be able to find the libraries and the other files. Well, install them in the correct folders and that is it.

You can also install everything in your own folder, and that too is explained in the text.

The only problems with linux are:
    1. The distributions can have different standard directories.
    2. Most packages are preferably installed by your distribution.

What does this mean? Read the documentation about packaging for the targetted distributions. To keep it simple, target the most known ones. For the rest, distribute the source code and ask for others to create packages for you.