Thread: QProcess readyRead() and readReadStandardOutput signals not triggered in kde

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default QProcess readyRead() and readReadStandardOutput signals not triggered in kde

The code below takes the command runs linux "root -spy -xprop _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW", this command returns the id of the active window every time it changes. I would pick the return of this command and add it to a TextEdit. In ubuntu (GNOME) it works right, every time I switch the active window is the signal emitted readReadyStandardOutput and the result is added to TextEdit, but in Kubuntu (KDE), the signal readReadyStandardOutput is not emitted immediately, only after the alternate active window several times is that it is fired. I think it is a problem buffer I / O but can not solve it. When I use QIODevice:: Unbuffered, occours the problem: only write device. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Qt Code:
    1. #include "mainwindow.h"
    2. #include "ui_mainwindow.h"
    4. MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) :
    5. QMainWindow(parent),
    6. ui(new Ui::MainWindow)
    7. {
    8. ui->setupUi(this);
    9. process = new QProcess(this);
    10. connect(process, SIGNAL(readyReadStandardOutput()), this, SLOT(appendText()));
    11. process->start("xprop -spy -root _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW");
    12. }
    14. void MainWindow::appendText(){
    15. ui->textEdit->append(process->readAll());
    16. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: QProcess readyRead() and readReadStandardOutput signals not triggered in kde

only after the alternate active window several times is that it is fired.
    It could be that its just time that takes the process to start.
    Try connecting a slot to the "started()" signal, and only then do the switching between windows, and see if you get the signals then.
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: QProcess readyRead() and readReadStandardOutput signals not triggered in kde

does not work, the process is already started, as I said the problem only occurs in kde, gnome works normal. Let me explain: the signal is issued only after I switch the window 10 times, then he inserts the ids of 10 windows in TextEdit, then, only after switching to 10 times he inserts again, it's like waiting to fill a buffer to send the signal.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Maybe you are reading from the wrong channel? What is the current channel of the process?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

5. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

jemesa (28th October 2010)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Maybe you are reading from the wrong channel? What is the current channel of the process?
    is the default channel of the process, not changed, the code is exactly the one shown above. What I find strange is that it works on Linux distributions with gnome interface but not working on distributions with kde interface.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

And what happens if you run xprop directly from the console? Do you get the output desired on both kde and gnome?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Yes, it works with both gnome and kde, and when setting the QProcess channel for ForwardedChannels, the console output occurs in real time in both kde and gnome.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Are you sure the output goes to stdout and not stderr?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I tried changing the channel mode to MergedChannels and not solved.