Thread: LGPL meaning

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default LGPL meaning

Hi there

I'm confused about licencing. If i get the LGPL version of Qt, can i develop closed applications with it ?
    Do it applies only to dynamic linking, or do it applies to static linking too ?

Thanks

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: LGPL meaning

Last edited by tbscope; 15th November 2010 at 11:22.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Although we can say it most definitely does not allow you to create statically linked applications with the LGPL license. Those kind of applications will require a commercial license as you are effectively embedding Qt into your own application.

For advice beyond that (and the reasons why), you need to contact a lawyer, as tbscope has stated.

We are not a legal team. We can not offer legal advice.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Although we can say it most definitely does not allow you to create statically linked applications with the LGPL license. Those kind of applications will require a commercial license as you are effectively embedding Qt into your own application.
    Of course if your program is released using an LGPL compatible license there is no problem with static linking. (I know the question was about closed source applications, but just to get this clear )
    Horse sense is the thing that keeps horses from betting on people. --W.C. Fields

Ask Smart Questions

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Although we can say it most definitely does not allow you to create statically linked applications with the LGPL license.
    That's not true. There is a clause that lets you link statically an LGPL component to a closed-source application. You need to provide object code (*.o or *.obj, depending on the compiler) for your program so that the end user can relink it back to a working executable. Such a solution is rarely useful (it's much easier to link dynamically and make it harder to break into the application) but it's doable.
    Last edited by wysota; 16th November 2010 at 01:24. Reason: My spelling sometimes really sucks...
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks for the heads up. It shows why we can't give legal advice on a public forum. Different people interpret it differently.

(I assumed it was not permissable to have Qt as an integral part of your application without commercial license. I was wrong)

Bottom line: If you don't want to be sued, then talk to a lawyer about the license. At least then, if they get it wrong, you can sue them