Thread: cross compiling with linux to create a windows app, cant get libpq to link

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Maemo/MeeGo

Default cross compiling with linux to create a windows app, cant get libpq to link

Hi folks
    Im using the latest qt and im able to create linux apps and cross compile windows apps on a linux ubuntu system. But now i need my windows app to access a postgresql database that is running on an external linux box. so i added the following to my .pro file

unix:LIBS += -lpq
    win32:LIBS += libpqdll.lib

a database connection works ok when compiling for linux but im getting this error when i compile the app for windows.

/usr/lib/gcc/i586-mingw32msvc/4.4.2/../../../../i586-mingw32msvc/bin/ld: cannot find -lpqdll.lib

I know i probably have to download the lib or build the lib from source. Where would i find this library? or do i search for it on the mingw site and just download it and place it in the proper location? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: cross compiling with linux to create a windows app, cant get libpq to link

Why don't you use Qt's database plugins? You wouldn't need to link against libpq directly.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: cross compiling with linux to create a windows app, cant get libpq to link

Yeah i was doing that earlier and i didnt have any of the unix:LIBS += -lpq or win32:LIBS += libpqdll.lib defined in the .pro file and the linux app was connecting just fine because i did have QT += sql, so this means the windows side of things when doing this make distclean && qmake -spec win32-x-g++ && make will connect as well? I tried building the app again for windows without any of the LIBS defined and it doesnt connect to postgres but the linux app does? Do i need a different sql flag of some sort for mingw?

Added after 7 minutes:

I think need some database plugins on my windows side of qt4.7-mingw directory for now ive been just placing my binaries in the c:\qt-4.7-mingw\4.7.1\bin path and they have been running fine there until im ready to learn how to package this stuff up. I see database dlls in the plugins dir but not one for postgresql .
    Last edited by newbie43; 18th December 2010 at 16:11.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Yes, you need a Qt PostgreSQL plugin for Windows.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.