Thread: Qt 4.1.0 commercial on Windows

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Qt 4.1.0 commercial on Windows

My company has purchased Qt 4.1.0 commercial desktop edition.. We did the install from the qt-win-commercial-4.1.0-vs2003.exe. However, qconfig.h was not setup correctly with the version, so my first compile gave a bunch of errors about not being to open or find qconfig.h. I have looked through the forums, and I keep running across threads that say you need to run configure. Does the install program not do this automatically? Unfortunately, I do not have administrator rights on my computer, so everytime I run into a problem, I have to call IT support, get someone to come down, and show them how to do a fix on the install. I just want to make sure that running configure after the install from the exe will configure Qt correctly.

Thanks.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Qt 4.1.0 commercial on Windows

That setup program installs the library allready compiled with vs2003, you need not configure/compile it.

However you should additionally install the qt-vsintegration-1.1.0.exe package to have qt integrated in visual studio.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

As commercial customer, you are entitled to get support from the trolls, you paid for it.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by theLSB
    As commercial customer, you are entitled to get support from the trolls, you paid for it.
    That wasn't the question and I'm quite sure that mbjerkne knows it. So what is your point, are users of the commercial edition not welcome to participate in the forum?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by seneca
    are users of the commercial edition not welcome to participate in the forum?
    No, all Qt users are welcome, but Trolltech support should know about Qt more that anyone and they should respond quicker.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Yes they *are* indeed competent and responsive AFAIK, I got useful answers within 24 hours allthough I had only few cases yet. However there is a drawback that those cases are handled by private mail only and there is no archive about solved problems. The TT knowledge base is also bare empty

So I work out problems by first consulting the available documentation, searching the forums for similar answers and also participating in the forum. This help build up a public knowledge base for ALL qt users, and I post back answers I got from TT formal support when I before started working out the issue in a forum thread (not sure how happy TT is about that though).

When every commercial customer would use TT formal support for each and every little question it could on one side motivate them to build up a reasonable knowledge base themselve. On the other side it may however be reason to raise the prices for commercial licenses even more.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by seneca
    That wasn't the question and I'm quite sure that mbjerkne knows it. So what is your point, are users of the commercial edition not welcome to participate in the forum?
    Where from did you get the notion that I was "unfriendly" or that I think commercial users are not welcome to post here?
    As Jacek said, there is no better source of help than the trolls, and why shouldn't he ask them?
    You will be surprised, that people are not always aware of the fact they are entitled for help,specially, if the programmer works in a company, and doesn't deal with the licensing him self.
    I was merely pointing that fact out, no need to read things I didn't write between the lines.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I didn't think or write that you were unfriendly. However I have seen this answer before when threads related to qt commercial were opened, and it *could* be understood as "go away, this forum is for non-commercial qt users only". Thats why I asked for clarification, sorry.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Well, I am thank you for your responses, and I am happy to know I am welcome here. As for the whole commercial/non-commercial issue, I would think everyone here would like to have more commercial people posting, since this is a great avenue for everyone to help each other out. It really shouldn't matter what kind of license I am using, I just happen to work at a company, and we need to buy the commercial license. I also use non-commercial at home to do my own projects.

Although, no one really did answer my question. It seems like the qconfig.h file is not setup correctly with the installer. I had to run configure to get the file working, then everything went fine. I will call TT, and get an answer for this question, and let everyone here know.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I've never heard of that issue before with the commercial edition.

If you download the precompiled Qt package, qconfig.h should be there.

If you download the Qt sources, you need to configure and build Qt.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I think I figured out what the problem was. Since I can't install anything on my own computer do to permissions from our IT department, they came in and installed it on an admin account. The qconfig.h file is fine for that user, but when I login, there are permissions put on the file which make it so I can't read it. So, I think I need to install it as my own user.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by mbjerkne
    Well, I am thank you for your responses, and I am happy to know I am welcome here. As for the whole commercial/non-commercial issue, I would think everyone here would like to have more commercial people posting, since this is a great avenue for everyone to help each other out. It really shouldn't matter what kind of license I am using, I just happen to work at a company, and we need to buy the commercial license. I also use non-commercial at home to do my own projects.

Although, no one really did answer my question. It seems like the qconfig.h file is not setup correctly with the installer. I had to run configure to get the file working, then everything went fine. I will call TT, and get an answer for this question, and let everyone here know.
    Welcome aboard!

I use MSVC++ 2003 too, along with the commercial desktop version of QT 4.10 license. I've never been treated like an orphan here at QtCentre!

I also installed the qt-integration exe. I ran the config command in order to compile in dynamic plugins for both Oracle (using InstantClient10_1) and PostgreSQL using the msi install utility and being careful to include all driver dlls. The configure went off without a hitch and there were/are no problems with "qconfig.h".

When setting up my application to develop using MSVC++ I use
    Qt Code:
    1. qmake -project
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    to create the project file, hap2006.pro, and then
    Qt Code:
    1. qmake hap2006.pro
    to create the Makefiles. I then manually modified hap2006.pro to include
    Qt Code:
    1. CONFIG += qt release
    2. QT += sql
    3. win32:LIBS += E:\Qt\4.1.0\plugins\sqldrivers\qsqloci.lib

After that I used the Qt option menu in MSVC++ which created the MSVC project files using the Qt "pro" file. Doing that automatically configured MSVC++. The combo works great! Intellisense really spoils you!!
    Last edited by GreyGeek; 2nd February 2006 at 13:56.