Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Nokia pulling the plug on Symbian? (About time!) And will it use Windows Phone 7?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Is Nokia pulling the plug on Symbian? (About time!) And will it use Windows Phone

I know, I'm in contact with the Trolls. Expect a message to be posted (also) on our frontpage at the beginning of next week. Until then let's keep our nerves. Qt is not going to vanish off the market, don't worry. Qt was doing fine before Nokia took over, it will do fine even if Nokia throws it away and nobody said so far they are going to throw it away. So far all the decisions we know of are marketing decisions.

The only thing I'm currently worried of is that lots of developers in Nokia (and I don't mean the Qt Development Framework staff) will lose their jobs as most software development inside Nokia will probably be moved to Microsoft. We are speaking about probably a few hundred thousand people all over the world.

By the way, the chart posted by Nokia (linked here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/rip-symbian/) is pure marketing. It suggests Symbian sales are going to be replaced by WP7 sales which is an obvious lie Especially that it's Google who snatched a large slice of the market from Nokia and I'm not sure replacing one outdated system with another outdated system is going to change the trend.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Unhappy Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership to Build a New G

Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership to Build a New Global Mobile Ecosystem

http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1488007

Perhaps this news represents a problem for the free software community to use the Qt.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership to Build a N

I can't remember disagreeing with the gurus here before, but Microsoft's intent is definitely (and singularly) to kill Qt. Remember Bill Gates said they should do everything to wipe out netscape even though they don't make any money off browsers. Even if Microsoft was projected to lose billions of dollars to kill Qt they would do it. In a heart beat.

Qt presents a strong open-source native compiled alternative to .NET and Java, but the problem is there is little market appetite for cross platform software or high-performance software. The average farmer in Kansas doesn't want software to run on every platform -he just wants something to run on his computer (Windows). Qt never caught on in America for that reason, and -despite America's declining market strength- America is far and away the world's largest consumer of everything.

Prediction: expect Red Hat to buy it and make it profitable, but -like Red Hat- it will be part of a niche market that few programmers will want to put on their resumes.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Is Nokia pulling the plug on Symbian? (About time!) And will it use Windows Phone

if they are not gonna use Qt..
    I do agree with high_flyer and nish. Its hard Qt will die, and if Qt port for android happens, it will be best for developers and business.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by javimoya View Post
    is the most interesting company memo i've read ever.

I completly agree with his words. Nokia is losing all the market... because Symbian and Meego is shit compared with iphone and android ecosystems.
    Losing all what market? Nokia phones are among the most popular phones on the planet. They haven't done well in the US market, but in Europe and Asia they rule.

Impact on Qt: near zero. All significant portions of Qt are under open source licenses, and can move easily and without impediment to a new home. Whether that home will be good or bad for Qt remains to be seen, but there's enough momentum behind Qt on the desktop (it hasn't really generated much traction as a phone OS) to ensure its survival for quite a long time. Qt is now being used in major universities as a cross-platform GUI development toolkit, as well.

I think this is bad decision on Nokia's part, but I don't see it having much of an effect on Qt.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

This is exactly what MS did with Novell:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

(and for the same reason: cross-platform competition).

A good business model is to start a cross-platform software provider (since there is always demand for this since Microsoft is always vacuuming up the last one) and develop it until it has a small profile. Then Microsoft will buy it.
    Last edited by mhoover; 11th February 2011 at 21:31.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Am wondering how those trolls ( ex - Trolltechs ) at Nokia are feeling
    Its quite disappointing about having a dream - Qt Everywhere being shaken

Really wish Qt goes to someone with caring and safeguarding hands.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by aamer4yu View Post
    Am wondering how those trolls ( ex - Trolltechs ) at Nokia are feeling
    Its quite disappointing about having a dream - Qt Everywhere being shaken
    I think I know how they feel but I don't want to share my knowledge here and now.

Really wish Qt goes to someone with caring and safeguarding hands.
    Don't worry, everything is in order so far. From good source I know Qt Development Frameworks has been functioning as usual today.

@everybody: We are the Qt Community. We make Qt strong. If we don't abandon it, there is no possibility for it to vanish. So let's keep being strong and supportive for the people who have been making us proud to know Qt and promote Qt. I dare you to express your support for Qt here and now in this potentially difficult moment.

I know that whatever happens I will keep supporting Qt because it is a good framework that is a friend of a C++ developer. Period. "I support the Trolls".
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks

I think M$ will not allow this kind of thing happen.

if they are not gonna use Qt..
    I do agree with high_flyer and nish. Its hard Qt will die, and if Qt port for android happens, it will be best for developers and business.

Added after 4 minutes:

The only thing to do is to separate QT from Nokia,
    and QT should never been sold to any companys !!!
    why I like QT before? because I think it is independent to any platform and its graceful design

the time it was acquired by Nokia ,I think it was a really really BAD idea
    and now QT and all QT fans get a bitter pill to swallow
    Last edited by hashb; 12th February 2011 at 03:16.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I know that whatever happens I will keep supporting Qt because it is a good framework that is a friend of a C++ developer. Period. "I support the Trolls".
    Same here.. I support Qt too. Apart from being a good framework, Qt is a passion to most of the developers out there. And it wont vanish

@hashb
    the time it was acquired by Nokia ,I think it was a really really BAD idea
    and now QT and all QT fans get a bitter pill to swallow
    I dont think it was that bad.. There have been a lot of work in Qt and also Nokia has tried to promote Qt a lot. Industry is now AWARE of something called Qt. So lets not forget the good things that have happened amidst this one announcement.

Also even if Nokia stops support for Qt, there is community. And am sure the first thing that will happen is port to android.(It will be again a hitback for Nokia) If that happens the obvious thing for companies using android will be to support Qt.
    So its a win-win situation for Qt !!

Thanks

So,if MS wants to killl/destroy Qt,so that there is no cross-platform IDE?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Maemo/MeeGo

Quote Originally Posted by "BumbleBee" View Post
    So,if MS wants to killl/destroy Qt,so that there is no cross-platform IDE?
    Microsoft can't kill it even if they wanted to. The poison pill would take effect immediately and going directly in control of KDE.
    Qt-4.7.3 | Gentoo ~amd64 | KDE-4.7
    Aki IRC Client for KDE4 | Qt Documentation

Thanks

So,Qt will remain cross-platform for C++?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

>>the time it was acquired by Nokia ,I think it was a really really BAD idea
    I dont think it was that bad.. There have been a lot of work in Qt and also Nokia has tried to promote Qt a lot.
    It was both bad and good for me.
    First they killed Qtopia. But not before making it QtExtended. What this did was, when they made it QtExtended we all were very exited
    and waiting for it. QtExtended could have challenged Android. But suddenly they killed it.

They made it LGPL, this is very good move. But that made sure that now Qt Dev as a separate company cannot survive. If you look at the fate
    of QtExtended and QtJambi ( both were adopted by community ), i see the same fate of Qt if it gets separated from nokia now.
    Industry is now AWARE of something called Qt. So lets not forget the good things that have happened amidst this one announcement.
    Also even if Nokia stops support for Qt, there is community. And am sure the first thing that will happen is port to android.(It will be again a hitback for Nokia) If that happens the obvious thing for companies using android will be to support Qt.
    So its a win-win situation for Qt !!
    I am not too optimistic about this. Port of android or iphone is in works for ages now, i dont think we can get any closer without the original tolls working on it.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by SixDegrees View Post
    Losing all what market? Nokia phones are among the most popular phones on the planet. They haven't done well in the US market, but in Europe and Asia they rule.
    Have ruled. See development of market shares, Nokia nowadays only rules the cheap sector.
    For years and years I have bought Nokia phones and what do I use now? An Android phone.

Thanks

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    @everybody: We are the Qt Community. We make Qt strong. If we don't abandon it, there is no possibility for it to vanish. So let's keep being strong and supportive for the people who have been making us proud to know Qt and promote Qt. I dare you to express your support for Qt here and now in this potentially difficult moment.
    Dear Qt enthusiasts,

I thought I would drop a few thoughts about Qt. Considering the climate, now is the best moment to do it.

I'm a young developer. I spent 8 years coding in C++ and 6 using Qt.

The Qt framework is hands down the best framework I've ever used.

So what's so special about it ?

1. It's developed by super talented people: Kent Hansen, Thiago Macieira, GUNNAR, Henrik Hartz. They're not just great engineers they're also listening a lot.
    2. The framework itself is the best product for multiplatform PC development.
    3. It has the best community I have ever seen.

Take a look at Qt Centre, It's not even an official Qt website but it's one of the most supportive service one can use.

This website has contributed greatly to the success of the Qt Framework. Thanks to you wysota for coming up with this.

Now is the time for the community to show support and love. We are stronger than marketing choices. If you decide to support the Qt Framework it will continue to improve and surprise us.

Beside, I don't know about you but I don't see myself using any other framework for the next decade.

So let's trust and support the Qt team. This is not a failure, it's an opportunity to bring beauty from pain.

Benjamin Arnaud.
    Last edited by bunjee; 12th February 2011 at 15:49.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I wish I could see things the same way, but sadly I don't.
    What made Qt strong in my view were two things:
    1. As you say, "us" the community.
    2. A paid team of top developers, in a company with a commercial interest to keep Qt a tool kit which is targeted at developers.

Trolltech found the golden path - they understood that what will make Qt big is its attractiveness to developers, and for companies through its being cross platform.
    This allowed them to release Qt to OpenSource, and still know they are going to make money on it.

Now, one part of the equation is missing.
    While we, the community are still here, and will continue using Qt, the commercial interest has flipped.
    So its true, that no one can take Qt away from us, which is good and important, but with out a commercial interest to invest in further Qt development, Qt will come to a still stand (in relation to the pace in which is was developed so far) even if the community will continue to actively work on it.
    And that is what worries me.
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by high_flyer View Post
    What made Qt strong in my view were two things:
    1. As you say, "us" the community.
    2. A paid team of top developers, in a company with a commercial interest to keep Qt a tool kit which is targeted at developers.
    Let me correct you...
    What made Qt strong in my view were:
    1. A paid team of top developers, in a company with a commercial interest to keep Qt a tool kit which is targeted at developers.
    3. A paid team of top developers, in a company with a commercial interest to keep Qt a tool kit which is targeted at developers.
    4. A paid team of top developers, in a company with a commercial interest to keep Qt a tool kit which is targeted at developers.
    99. A paid team of top developers, in a company with a commercial interest to keep Qt a tool kit which is targeted at developers.
    100. "us" the community.

Have you seen the number of commits of the "community" compared with the number of commits of the paid developers?

sadly...
    if Nokia stop supporting qt development... Qt is dead.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by high_flyer View Post
    Now, one part of the equation is missing.
    While we, the community are still here, and will continue using Qt, the commercial interest has flipped.
    It's not that bad. There are many companies using Qt and actively contributing to Qt and KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by javimoya View Post
    Have you seen the number of commits of the "community" compared with the number of commits of the paid developers?
    That's an unjustified statement. Have a look at the number of bug reports filed in by the community. Thanks to them the paid developers as you say know what needs fixing. Also have a look at QtCentre and similar sites. Community based support is very important for the ecosystem.