Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is Nokia pulling the plug on Symbian? (About time!) And will it use Windows Phone 7?

Qt products
    Qt4

Default Re: Is Nokia pulling the plug on Symbian? (About time!) And will it use Windows Phone

Qt will be in safe hands: http://www.msqt.org/

Thanks

Default Re: Is Nokia pulling the plug on Symbian? (About time!) And will it use Windows Phone

Quote Originally Posted by balticherring View Post
    /facepalm

how many hours did you need to make that joke??

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

MSQt ? Is this a Qt fork ? When did this start
    Humans make mistake because there is really NO patch for HUMAN STUPIDITY

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by balticherring View Post

Very well made!!
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

bahh... I nearly didn't see the line "This is a satire". I was beginning to wonder MS giving up .NET :P. I think if Nokia doesn't carry along with Qt, there is a high chance of forking it as a open source toolkit similar to wxwidget.
    Humans make mistake because there is really NO patch for HUMAN STUPIDITY

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60

I really dont´t know what to think about this, but I'm sad and disapointed. I am a very passionate Qt developer, and I also don't see my self playing around with other toolkit's. Just few month ago Nokia told with would use Qt to unify symbian and Meego, and now shift's away, this was a very nasty lie, and now many Nokia fanboys are fillling betrayed. Saying that symbian has old it's no excuse, Apple still uses NextStep under that Objective C, wich has more than 20 years, they just keep betting on the same horse. Besides if Nokia would really want to shift away from symbian/Meego, IMO the best option would be Android, wich is by far better in all aspects than WP7. This really seems a unidirectional deal with all good to MS and little or none gain to Nokia. Isn't there anybody inside Nokia that face up this Elop guy, and see all the trouble they geeting into? Also I think that MS really doesnt like Qt because it's cross platform, LGPL, and a direct concorrent of Visual Studio. Anyway, like Wysota said, I will stand by Qt and will keep developing with it. Really looking forward to see the next official statements from Nokia regarding Qt.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by john_god View Post
    this was a very nasty lie
    Wat was promised was not a lie.

But, a new captain always means a new direction. That's true for Nokia as for any other company or even open source project.
    Last edited by tbscope; 14th February 2011 at 06:47.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

How sad is it to read on the blog
    Have just spent more than a year developing a Qt application that is almost ready for release in the ovi store to hear this great news. So my application won’t be available on nokia’s high end phones because Nokia has now a different toolkit! Bloody great! Colleagues said that I should target android, but I’ve been using Qt for more than 10 years and looked like a sure thing with Nokia’s backing, unfortunately looks like they were right.
    Now to help out with the android port and hopefully google sees a new opportunity and throws some developers at the android Qt lighthouse port.
    http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2011/02/12/...future-for-qt/

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60

Qt will live no matter what. Programmers will always in need of well designed, cross-platform libraries and since Qt is the best GUI C++ toolkit around, believe me, it will not just die.

And about Nokia .... well I choose not to bother anymore!
    Misha R.evolution - High level Debugging IDE

Programming is about 2 basic principles: KISS and RTFM!!!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Hi,

Read a comment from Nokia :

Question is, will Nokia put Qt on Windows Phone? Our initial response is no, that’s not the plan. The reason is that if we encourage a fork in Windows Phone’s development platform, we could create a situation where we confuse developers and consumers.
    Oh no ! Please don't confuse us ! We are so stupid, so please decide for us which toolkit we want to use !

It appears that it wouldn't be too difficult for 'the community' or for some dissident Trolls to create a Qt version for WP7 anyway, because WP7 is build on top of Windows CE. That would be a be a great "up yours" to Mr. Elop

Regards,
    Marc

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hope Qt will be back cutely.
    God is with us.

Bala

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

That would be a be a great "up yours" to Mr. Elop
    Actually I don't see how it would, I'd say quite the contrary.
    MS is not interested in Qt, it is interested in getting their OS in to a substantial market share, so if more developers will develop for W7P, be it with Qt or not, is still good for MS.
    I am quite sure that a port to W7P is just a matter of time, be it a community one or official one.
    There is even a port (in progress) for iOS, so W7P should not be a big problem.

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Actually I don't see how it would, I'd say quite the contrary.
    Microsoft doesn't just want WP7 to be successfull. That's just one part of their business. A substantial part is also selling and licensing development tools, and giving expensive courses to developers. And they also want users to be tied to using their applications (e.g. by requiring to have a MS webmail account for certain features), so they have a big customer database for advertising purposes.

If developers use Qt and customers use Qt applications, there will be less profit for Microsoft, so they will be less happy with the deal they made with Mr. Elop. And hopefully then his bonus will be cancelled or something And it's an 'up yours' anyway if something is achieved that he opposes to (which I suspect he does).

Regards,
    Marc

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Microsoft doesn't just want WP7 to be successfull. That's just one part of their business. A substantial part is also selling and licensing development tools, and giving expensive courses to developers. And they also want users to be tied to using their applications (e.g. by requiring to have a MS webmail account for certain features), so they have a big customer database for advertising purposes.

If developers use Qt and customers use Qt applications, there will be less profit for Microsoft, so they will be less happy with the deal they made with Mr. Elop. And hopefully then his bonus will be cancelled or something And it's an 'up yours' anyway if something is achieved that he opposes to (which I suspect he does).
    All you are saying is true - but I think you are over rating one thing - and that is the threat MS sees in Qt, and the effect using Qt has on using MS products by companies who develop for Windows - and I am saying it from experience.
    Developing Qt is not mutual exclusive to using MS tools.
    Most companies I worked for used Qt, and for windows, they used the MS tool chain (Visual Studio mainly, but not only), since they used not ONLY Qt.
    There is a very large palette of tools and toolkits, from MS and other sources - Qt is just one of them - and not as known and used as you might think (on the desktop) - all though it got really more and more popular in recent years.

But people, I really think you are reacting a bit "megalomanic" to how you think MS is only thinking on how to destroy Qt.
    If they really wanted, they could have done it years ago.
    Even now, they could have made a much more explicit deal with Nokia regarding Qt, or beat Nokia to buying Trolltech, and shut it down.
    But they didn't.

The current deal is about the cell phone OS market - not about GUI or or development kits.
    MS did not sign the agreement with Nokia because of Qt - but because Nokia is a large cell phone company - and the largest in Europe.
    This has an effect on Qt, but that is an effect, not a prime directive to destroy Qt!

So relax.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

high_flyer: Your wiseguy status seems to be correct, in the good way.
    Horse sense is the thing that keeps horses from betting on people. --W.C. Fields

Ask Smart Questions

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Well, it IS a custom rank