Thread: QMovie::moveToThread() and its QTimer

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question QMovie::moveToThread() and its QTimer

I'm trying to move a QMovie from one thread to another. No problem there. But afterwards I want to start the QMovie in its new thread, this goes wrong. Error message: "timers cannot be started from another thread".

QMovie has a QTimer member variable to trigger for the next frame to load but this timer is just a member and has no parent-child relationship with QMovie it belongs too => when moving the QMovie to another thread, the QTimer doesn't move with it. Is there a reason for this? It seems like a bug to me but I want to double check here.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: QMovie::moveToThread() and its QTimer

What is the reason for moving QMovie to another thread? The timer is a member of QMovie's P-IMPL so it doesn't need to and in fact should be in a parent-child relationship with the QMovie instance. The object will be deleted when the P-IMPL object is deleted which happens in the destructor of QMovie.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Deletion of the Timer is indeed covered by the member relationship but this doesn't take care of thread moving which parent-child relationship does take care of.

The reason for moving it to another thread is the structure of the program I'm writing: preparing objects in one thread, move them to another thread and use them there. This reason is the scope of another discussion I think but the fact that moveToThread of QMovie doesn't really work seems like a bug nonetheless.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

But the point is using QMovie from a thread different than the GUI thread doesn't make sense. So why would QMovie be designed in a more complex way only to support something it wouldn't support anyway?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.