Thread: Qt4VSAddin with VS10 - Error about missing assembly "stdole" on VS startup

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Qt4VSAddin with VS10 - Error about missing assembly "stdole" on VS startup

Hi there,
    I just installed the Qt4 VS addin (i.e. built Qt 2010.05 from source via nmake and then ran the addin installer) but now I'm getting this error when I try to start Visual Studio 2010:
    qtfail.png

The first line means something like "Couldn't register all Qt4VSAddin commands : File or assembly "stdole, Version=..." or one of its dependencies couldn't be found. File not found.
    At
    ..."

When I click "OK" in that dialog VS starts up fine and the Qt stuff seems to be in place. Even compiling works, but when I try to run one of my compiled programs, I'm getting this error (rough translation):
    "This applicaton couldn't be started, because the side-by-side configuration is invalid. See application event log for more information. More details can be viewed using the command tool sxstrace.exe."

Did I miss some installation step or is this problem otherwise already known? I'm happy to share any other necessary information, just let me know if you need it.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
    I just looked into the event log, and it says something like
    "Error at generating the activation context for "C:\Users\user\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\testqt4addin\testqt4addin.exe". The dependent assembly "Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x8 6",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32", version="9.0.21022.8"" could not be found."
    there .. guess I somehow removed that thing when I uninstalled VS 2008 and stuff is still depending on it... I'll further investigate into this problem, any advice would be appreciated though.

EDIT2:
    I just realized that Release builds work fine (which kinda makes sense).
    Right now I'm rebuilding Qt with -debug-and-release (rather than -release only), maybe that'll do the trick...

EDIT3:
    Okay, that STILL didn't help me fixing the error...
    What I just don't understand is why I'm getting an error about the VC++ 2008 runtime although I (think I am?) compiling with the 2010 compiler...
    Last edited by wysota; 27th February 2011 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Qt4VSAddin with VS10 - Error about missing assembly "stdole" on VS startup

As far as I know the VS Add-In doesn't support VS2010. Unless things have changed recently.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Qt4VSAddin with VS10 - Error about missing assembly "stdole" on VS startup

Well it does seem to work fine in Release builds. Only for some reason it seems to link against the Debug msvc 2008 runtime for Debug builds (which I don't have anymore since I uninstalled msvc 2008).

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by neobrain View Post
    Only for some reason it seems to link against the Debug msvc 2008 runtime for Debug builds
    Which means it doesn't work
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Which means it doesn't work
    ... Which obviously is the reason why I opened this thread in the first place.

I'm not asking if the addin is supported - since it clearly seems to be if Release builds work fine and the installer had the "vs 2010" option next to the other releases - I'm asking WHY it doesn't work. Does the addin use some libraries which were linked against 2008 debug runtimes by mistake? Did I misconfigure Qt somehow? Something else with my system? I really shouldn't need any 2008 debug runtimes (besides the only way to get those would be to install vs2008 which would be kinda stupid) to use Qt with visual studio 2010...

tl;dr: Is it the addin's fault or mine, and what is it exactly?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by neobrain View Post
    I'm not asking if the addin is supported - since it clearly seems to be if Release builds work fine and the installer had the "vs 2010" option next to the other releases - I'm asking WHY it doesn't work. Does the addin use some libraries which were linked against 2008 debug runtimes by mistake? Did I misconfigure Qt somehow? Something else with my system? I really shouldn't need any 2008 debug runtimes (besides the only way to get those would be to install vs2008 which would be kinda stupid) to use Qt with visual studio 2010...

tl;dr: Is it the addin's fault or mine, and what is it exactly?
    Most likely you have some remnants of Qt built for MSVC2008 or VS2008 itself. But I'm still not convinced VS2010 is supported even though the installer claims so (it could be work-in-progress). Is it explicitly stated that VS2010 was supported in the readme or on the webpage you downloaded the add-in from?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

I have no idea about why the VS add-in gives that error, but the add-in (version 1.1.7) works with VS 2010, i have it working on many systems.

Have you tried to re-install the add-in since you uninstalled the VS 2008?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Actually, I installed (and compiled) the SDK and the addin AFTER uninstalling VS 2008...
    And yeah, I already tried reinstalling the addin and recompiling the SDK.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

What do you need the SDK for? You only need Qt libs.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I had tried the framework only, but tried it with the full SDK as well since the framework explicitely says "VS2008" in the download description. Anyway neither of these two worked.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms

The "cleaner" build is if you download the Qt sources only (the link is to Qt 4.7.1).
    I never had issues with building that.

Anyway here are my steps:
    1) extract the zip file in C:\qt-4.7.1
    2) navigate to C:\qt-4.7.1 with the VS cmd
    3) configure.exe
    4) nmake sub-src //this builds Qt framework
    5) nmake sub-tools //this builds Qt tools (designer...)
    6) nmake clean //delete the temporary files
    7) install the VS add-in and select the Qt folder (C:\qt-4.7.1)

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Tried that, still same error though.. :/

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms

The add-in has a new version (1.1.8), you can give that a try.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Updated, still getting the same error.

Is there some way how I could at least find out which component is failing to load that debug runtime?

I'm getting a similiar error message by the way if I'm trying to start any of the Qt programs compiled using the Debug configuration.