Thread: Access to custom widget functions in a QGraphicsScene

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Access to custom widget functions in a QGraphicsScene

Hello fellow Qt programmers.

I would like to see if you have any ideas to my problem.

Here we go. I have a library with custom widgets which I use in my project. I use these widgets in a QGraphicsScene. I add them with the use of QGraphicsProxyWidget. Now to get to the problem. After I have added these widgets i want to access the functions that the initial widget has. ex. my widget has a setValue function.

And i want to access its functions when ex. you right click on the item in the scene, scene returns the QGraphicsItem with the use of function itemAt. Now I want to cast this QGraphicsItem to the original widget. But this is a problem if I have 20 widgets and I dont know what to cast it to.

What I am looking for is something similar to the type() functions in QGraphicsItem but for my widget. So I can set a specific type for my widget and i can access it in someway to compare with the QGraphicsItem I get returned.

Any ideas would be helpful for mapping this in a good way. I have thought of QHash and storing the pointer of the inital widget together the a string key which i also pass for the QGraphicsProxyWidget as data. But this gets messy when you have 20 diffrent widgets.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Access to custom widget functions in a QGraphicsScene

This sounds like a poor design. Create an abstract base class that defines a common interface, then derive all of your QGraphicsItem classes from that interface. Then all items added to a scene will be instances of the same base class and can be treated uniformly. Handle variant behavior at the level of the derived classes.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Access to custom widget functions in a QGraphicsScene

It is a design still in work hence my post here to utilize my design. I dont have any QGraphicsItem classes. The items I add are classes derived from QWidget. But I can see what you mean with the base class.