Thread: How to increase available RAM for Qt Creator?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt Jambi
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default How to increase available RAM for Qt Creator?

Hello,

I'm trying to create a program that needs more than 4 gigas of RAM. With Visual Studio, I managed to do it (Properties/Linker/System/Enable large adresses) and I can fully use 5 gigas of RAM.

Is there anything equivalent with QtCreator? Because I'm stuck with around 2 gigas of RAM. (there's a std::bad_alloc() at around 2.5 gigas)

Unfortunately, for my program, I'll be needing as much RAM as I can (let's say 16).

And, I've tried to Google it / search on QtCentre, but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: How to increase available RAM for Qt Creator?

Add "-Wl,--large-address-aware" to your linker flags. I don't know how you were looking for it, it took me 20 seconds to find it through Google.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

3. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

fezvez (19th April 2011)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt Jambi
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Well, what a shame, I really couldn't find anything (still can't find anything though) Your searching skills must be much better than mine!

Seriously, on Google, "qt creator windows increase RAM" doesnt not link to anything relevant... except that now it points to this topic!

Thanks a lot!

Edit : How awful... I can't find a correct answer to this simple question : how do I add arguments to Qt Creator Linker? This doesn't help : the arguments seem to be ignored (I still have a std::bad_alloc())
    Last edited by fezvez; 19th April 2011 at 18:58.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

You didn't find anything because it's nothing to do with Qt Creator as it's just an IDE (or fancy text editor putting it another way). The compiler used is GCC, so you need to lookup the options for that.

Same goes for the Linker, nothing to do with Qt Creator. You'll need to look at your .pro file which is used by qmake. The first search result is therefore quite useful: http://doc.trolltech.com/latest/qmak...reference.html. Have a look at QMAKE_LFLAGS for example.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by fezvez View Post
    Well, what a shame, I really couldn't find anything (still can't find anything though) Your searching skills must be much better than mine!

Seriously, on Google, "qt creator windows increase RAM" doesnt not link to anything relevant... except that now it points to this topic!

Thanks a lot!

Edit : How awful... I can't find a correct answer to this simple question : how do I add arguments to Qt Creator Linker? This doesn't help : the arguments seem to be ignored (I still have a std::bad_alloc())
    I was searching for "mingw enable large addresses equivalent" or something like that.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.