Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monkey Studio - Free crossplatfrom Qt4 IDE ( oldest Qt4DS )

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Monkey Studio - Free crossplatfrom Qt4 IDE ( oldest Qt4DS )

Hi,

just installed 1.8.0.0 preview with the mingw windows installer, and when I try to create a new project (QtGUI) i get the error:
    Cannot read file C:/Programme/MonkeyStudio1.8.0/../templates/C++/Projects/qt_gui.pro:
    Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden..
    (German: The system can not find the given path) (which is true - the '..' is wrong).
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_pol View Post
    Hi,

I know this question is a bit off topic, but could you try to explain why the Monkey Studio is a better choice than Eclipse 3.3 ? I have been using Eclipse for a while, but still want to be up to date with current QT(related) IDEs. Is MS said to be as good as Eclipse, is said to be an alternative to Eclipse... etc? What are you aiming for?

I just would like to extend my knowledge and maybe try the MStudio, but still I am hesitating.

Thanks for your answers.

Maverick

P.S.

Still I think I am going to try Monkey Studio, at least to learn sth new.
    I don't know is Monkey Studio ( please don't use MS, it harm me ) is best than Eclipse, i don't use it.
    What i can tell is that Monkey Studio is fast and light weight compare to it.
    Monkey Studio can easily be extends creating your own plugin ( by example, for supporting others kind of projects like why not, .vcproj, creating usefull plugins like Artistic Formatter ).
    What you can do is unlimited, only do it
    On the Monkey Studio GUI part, i find it really usable compare to IDEs like VS and Eclipse ( same for KDevelop ), there is too much things, we are lost, searching feature is a bit boring, and finally, i don t find theirs GUI comfortable.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by high_flyer View Post
    Hi,

just installed 1.8.0.0 preview with the mingw windows installer, and when I try to create a new project (QtGUI) i get the error:

(German: The system can not find the given path) (which is true - the '..' is wrong).
    It's a know problem, default path has been set in sources so Monkey Studio is ready and usable out of box ( after compiling, it s in bin folder, witch ../templates is good ).

Infortunaly, i had not the time to write a good "First Time Wizard" for this preview release, hope it will be at the next one.

Anyway, fixing it is a bit easy : close Monkey Studio, and edit file : %HOME%\.Monkey Studio\Monkey Studio.ini, and correct path for templates.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Post Re: Monkey Studio - Free crossplatfrom Qt4 IDE ( oldest Qt4DS )

Hi,

Some new enhancements have been done in the svn trunk ( v2 ).
    A new pTabBar class, member of our fresh framework is now available.
    It allow nearly all good feature require for tabbar based IDE :

* Drag & Drop Tabs
    * Drag & Drop Files ( when drop a menu ask u to send as File or Project )
    * Close Button On Tabs
    * Add Shortcuts To Tabs
    * Make Tabs Elided
    * Mid Click Close Current Tab
    * Right Click Popup A Menu

All this features are usable as signals that u can connect to your application, in fact, our Fresh framework can be used as standalone for any kind of application, it's not a merging lib with our IDE.

P@sNox,

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Finally we are fully supporting Mac OS X... Enjoy !

New features :
    * Per Language Headers Licensing ( Edit -> Settings )

You wil need to use the svn trunk version of monkey studio to have a look : svn://monkeystudio.org/monkeyrepos/v2/trunk

P@sNox,

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

After the feedbacks about the templates ( not working due to bad handling and ugly format ). We are proud to tell that we have reworking it, now each template is a subfolder and contain a tempalte.ini file witch describe the template.
    Each tempalte can request variable that the wizard will show.

Many new template have been added, and old one are in porting.

Many usefull things have been fixed/enhanced.

Please try and feedback again

P@sNox, and The Monkey Studio Team,

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,
    Here is it ! the second preview version of Monkey Studio 2.

The new features of this version are :
    * A new template system which give users the ability to create their own templates by reading the format documentation on our wiki.
    * Better management of qmake.
    * A new workspace, bye bye tabs.
    * A new menu "Window" to change the view ( sdi/mdi/top level ).
    * A better parsing of consoles output ( like compilation errors )
    * A simple click on a warning/error allow to open the corresponding file.
    * Change in the file browser plugin : you can change the view ( root item ) to have a tree-view clutter less.
    * A new component "MonkeyCore" giving the ability to 3rdparty plugin to easily use the main objects of the application ( menubar, mainwidow, settings, and so ).
    * Better management of resources' path ( templates, translations, plugins ).
    * On the first load, "monkey" find and configure itself default path in the settings to permit the execution of the programme just after it has been compiled.
    * The Desktop Tools of Mac OS are now supported.

As you have just read, there is a lot to discover and feel free to tell us what you think.
    Either on the forums (http://forums.monkeystudio.org), one the IRC channel (#monkeystudio on FreeNode) or on the mailing-list users@monkeystudio.org (to subscribe, see: http://lists.monkeystudio.org/cgi-bi...listinfo/users).

See you soon.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Post Monkey Studio 1.8.2.0 ( aka Monkey Studio 2 ) is out !

Finally after months of development and 2 preview versions, Monkey Studio 1.8.2.0 ( aka Monkey Studio 2 ) is finally released as a usable BETA version.
    The term BETA not mean that MkS ( Short for Monkey Studio ) is buggy and not usable.
    It simply mean that there are so many new features that if we keep going a final version may never be released
    MkS will continue this way until there is no more features to implement, this can take months, years, centuries or what ever you want, but it's the best cross-platform choice for Qt Development ( and/or any other project type you want if you create/use the right plugin ).
    MkS is a crossplatform Integrated Development Environment ( IDE ) aiming to become a Rapid Application Development ( RAD ) environment and is used since ages by team members in our enterprises, and we decided that's time to release it to the community.

MkS runs everywhere Qt 4.4.0 ( minimum required to build it ) is available as a shared library ( static build of Qt are not supported for building MkS as we heavily use plugins, of course, you can use whatever version of Qt you want for your projects).
    MkS is extensible via a great and powerfull plugin system which help make it do nearly anything you want and support virtually any kind of project type ( cmake, msvc) for which a plugin exists or is created.
    And if you don't need some plugins - just switch them off, and make your MkS more lite and speedy.
    The primary goal of MkS was to manage Qt4 projects as best as possible, it directly uses .pro files and does not create intrusive or unsightly configuration files.
    The only thing it can add to your project, is a "ProjectSettings" scope for storing it's configuration.
    But MkS is now a multi language cool code editor too ( javascript, xml, ... ).
    The new features are ( see olders news for features released before ):

* User Tools can now use console, redirecting their output directly in the IDE.
    * User Tools now use pAction, witch give them the ability to set custom shortcuts via a shortcut dialog.
    * Actions such as Building, Compiling, Debugging, etc. can trigger other actions such as automatically saving open files/projects.
    * A new action helper that quickly creates new text files.
    * MessageBox plugin now uses a separate dock for each tab : Build Step, Output, Commands, Search Results and provide a settings widget that allow to activate a dock on console started.
    * A status bar has been integrated that shows useful informations : File modified state, Tabulation mode, End of Line mode, and Line/Column position.
    * Unlimited Bookmarks support per editor with quick navigation shortcut.
    * New search/replace engine which support find in files/folders in a threaded way.
    * The "Add files to project" dialog has been enhanced, you can now at the same time in the view select files AND folders. You can choose to recursively add files/folders and import files that are external of your project.
    * The plugins management dialog has been rewriten, getting its look and feel from the KDE4 plugins look and feel.
    * There are now sdk files available for creating your own custom plugins.
    * A totally rewritten abstract project manager aka "XUP Manager" that stand for Xml Universal Project File Manager. Behind the scenes, it's a xml reresentation of a project in memory that means that each project is coded using the same API, you only need create converter from and to XUP to support new project types!
    * The templates wizard has been enhanced, it's now using a ini like format for each template, the format is available on our wiki for those who want to create their custom templates.
    * French translation available.
    * Belarussian translation available.
    * English translation available ( the default one ).
    * Italian translation in progress.
    * GNU Debugger ( gdb ) plugin integration.
    * Rewrote Qt project management using XUP API.
    * Best install script for all platforms.
    * Add a Queued System messagebox, similar to the dolphin application one ( non blocking message widget ) that allow to show some message to the user without bocking the interface.
    * Add a new plugin "Regular Expression Editor" that help developers to create/test their regular expressions.
    * Now Requiring Qt 4.4.0 minimum ( yes, it's a feature! )
    * And a lot of small enhancements/features as well as many bug fixes.

We spent time making the best Qt 4 crossplatform IDE, please use it and provide feedback !

See our homepage for more informations and download page : http://www.monkeystudio.org

The Monkey Studio Team

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Monkey Studio 1.8.2.0 ( aka Monkey Studio 2 ) is out !

Quote Originally Posted by pasnox View Post
    MkS runs everywhere Qt 4.4.0 ( minimum required to build it ) is available as a shared library ( static build of Qt are not supported for building MkS as we heavily use plugins, of course, you can use whatever version of Qt you want for your projects).
    Quote Originally Posted by pasnox View Post
    * Now Requiring Qt 4.4.0 minimum ( yes, it's a feature! )
    did i get it right? use any version of qt but minimum is QT 4.4? so any later version will not run? means QT4.4 and ^

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Hi pasnox,

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your hard work.

• First, both MonkeyStudio's beta-release (monkeystudio-svn2110-1.8.2.0) AND svn trunk built fine with Qt-4.4.1-snapshot-20080608 on my Gentoo Linux box... (a Qt version that works fine with my daily KDE4 builds).

• But, the Monkey build did not install to my ${MONKEY_PREFIX}. However, some(all?) of the directory/files for the ${MONKEY_DATAS} directory does get installed.

• Also, running the application from either the ${build}/bin directory, or after manually installing (as described in the installs.pri file), causes an immediate Segmentation fault after selecting English from the Translations Dialog and clicking OK. See debug message below.

Looking forward to working with your IDE, and thanks for the help,
    -travlr

Qt Code:
    1. Debug...
    2. [?1034h(no debugging symbols found)
    3. Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
    4. (gdb) (gdb) (gdb) (gdb) (gdb) Starting program: /home/travlr/kde/bld/monkey/bin/monkeystudio
    5. (no debugging symbols found)
    6. (no debugging symbols found)
    7. Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    8. QFileInfo::absoluteFilePath (this=0x842b9cc) at /home/travlr/kde/src/qt/src/corelib/io/qfileinfo.cpp:603
    9. (gdb)
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    Last edited by travlr; 12th June 2008 at 19:09.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by triperzonak View Post
    did i get it right? use any version of qt but minimum is QT 4.4? so any later version will not run? means QT4.4 and ^
    Monkey Studio need to be built with Qt version minimum to 4.4.0.
    But for your project you can use the qt version you want , as you can configure the version to use per projects ( Project Settings dialog ).

P@sNox,

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by triperzonak View Post
    Monkey Studio need Qt 4.4.0 minimum to built and being used.
    But for your proejct, you can use this version, or what you want as you can configure the qt version in your project settings.

P@sNox,

EDIT: sorry for double post, the forum seem having problems, lags...
    Last edited by pasnox; 12th June 2008 at 20:53.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by travlr View Post
    Hi pasnox,

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your hard work.

• First, both MonkeyStudio's beta-release (monkeystudio-svn2110-1.8.2.0) AND svn trunk built fine with Qt-4.4.1-snapshot-20080608 on my Gentoo Linux box... (a Qt version that works fine with my daily KDE4 builds).

• But, the Monkey build did not install to my ${MONKEY_PREFIX}. However, some(all?) of the directory/files for the ${MONKEY_DATAS} directory does get installed.

• Also, running the application from either the ${build}/bin directory, or after manually installing (as described in the installs.pri file), causes an immediate Segmentation fault after selecting English from the Translations Dialog and clicking OK. See debug message below.

Looking forward to working with your IDE, and thanks for the help,
    -travlr

Qt Code:
    1. Debug...
    2. [?1034h(no debugging symbols found)
    3. Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
    4. (gdb) (gdb) (gdb) (gdb) (gdb) Starting program: /home/travlr/kde/bld/monkey/bin/monkeystudio
    5. (no debugging symbols found)
    6. (no debugging symbols found)
    7. Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    8. QFileInfo::absoluteFilePath (this=0x842b9cc) at /home/travlr/kde/src/qt/src/corelib/io/qfileinfo.cpp:603
    9. (gdb)
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    [*]But, the Monkey build did not install to my ${MONKEY_PREFIX}. However, some(all?) of the directory/files for the ${MONKEY_DATAS} directory does get installed.

QMake seem buggy when creating install rules in another pro/pri file that the project one. See readme for fixed comment about the install step.

Regarding the crash, it seem strange bug as it's the first time you run monkey, it should not call QFile::absoluteFilePath().
    What you can try :
    * delete the monkey studio ini file ( $HOME/.Monkey Studio/*.ini )
    If it not help, it can be the bug that just been discovered regarding GDB Plugin, try deleting the plugin GNUDebugger2.so ( or rename it so it's no longer loaded at start time ).

Let me know of any progress, thanks, P@sNox,

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Yeah, removing the GNUDebug plugin lib stopped the segfault from happening. I didn't try the new install instructions yet because I don't have time right now.

-travlr

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hello :

Sorry for this bug , if you want use GNUDebugger plugin, you can add this two lines directly in monkey.ini in section [plugins]

GNUDebugger2\PathGdb=gdb
    GNUDebugger2\PathParseFile=toto

Now you can start Monkey and it show "gdbparsing.txt not found. Debugger can not work !"

Go to plugins->manage->GNU debugger and select the correctly path of gdbparsing.txt.
    This file is present in MONKEY_SOURCE/plugins/debugger/GNUDebugger/file

Apply and restart Monkey

An other bug is found if you have opened .ui in editor, if you restart Monkey it crash because the editor is not pEditor class

Bug fix in svn branches, bug not fixed in windows package and svn trunk.

Bye

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I am unable to pull the code from the SVN, the "svn" command just does nothing. Also the trac is very unresponsive (it takes arround 20 seconds to load the main page).

I am currently downloading the zip file from SourceForge, but when will you fix the SVN?

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by elcuco View Post
    I am unable to pull the code from the SVN, the "svn" command just does nothing. Also the trac is very unresponsive (it takes arround 20 seconds to load the main page).

I am currently downloading the zip file from SourceForge, but when will you fix the SVN?
    We will fix it as soon as possible

You can look regulary in our svn ( trunk for mainly stable code or branches/dev for daily commit ) to be sync with last fix.

Use command like this :

Dev branches
    svn co svn://monkeystudio.org/monkeyrepos/v2/branches/dev

Trunk
    svn co svn://monkeystudio.org/monkeyrepos/v2/trunk

See readme.txt file about build and compil commands.

P@sNox,

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

The MkS website has been reworked (using Drupal) and it next by a new release (1.8.3.0) pre-compiled for many OS's.
    There is too much enhancements for a complete changelog, but this version is now really advanced and allow you to make a good idea of what is(will be) possible using it.
    Since this version MkS is daily usable for creating, managing QMake/C++ projects.
    The Qt Assistant plugin has been rewritted using QtHelp module and new features was added, possibility to use inline help, and search help using shortcuts on a selected/current word (F1 - Shift+F1)
    A new feature was added, it's the possibility to manage PHP-Qt projects allowing php developpers to create Qt 4 apps using the php binding.
    And a lot to discover !

http://monkeystudio.org

P@sNox,

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Nearly two months have passed since the last Christmas Edition of MkS. This month MkS Team spent most time on fixing bugs and polishing existing functionality, resulting to a new release : Monkey Studio 1.8.3.2.

Next changes have been made:
    * PyQt plugin, which allows to work with PyQt projects
    * Replace text in directory feature
    * A lot of bugs was fixed
    * GNU Debugger plugin have been removed due to instability. We are rewriting it from scratch for the next minor version (1.8.4.x).

We think, MkS became more usable and comfortable, you can see full changes log here.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Cool Release 1.8.4.0b1

MkS Team is proud to annouce the aviability of a new stable MkS version : 1.8.4.0b1.
    It's only marked beta because it does not contains all functionalities we want to add to the final 1.8.4.0 version.
    The last release was containing some bugs that we did not discovered at time because of the need to release quickly a Qt 4.5.x compatible version of MkS.
    This release bring new functionalities and fix many bugs and is a beta of the upcoming 1.8.4.0.
    The complete code has been back ported to be compilable from Qt 4.4.x and up.
    The windows installer and mac os x universal bundle now comes with their complete Qt libraries, meaning you will no longer need to trick your installation to make MkS working out of the box.

New functionalities at a glance :

* qCtagsSense framework : A library write upon ctags library that provide a framework for class browser, quick navigator and auto completion for all language supported by ctags.
    * UpdateChecker plugin : that check for new available MkS version and propose you to download the one of your choice.
    * ClassBrowser plugin : have been completly rewrited using qCtagsSense framework and allow to provide per file class browser, complete system api browser and a powerfull search engine.
    * Search & Replace plugin : have been reworked a little for the gui (mac os x), and now propose to choose a custom text codec while searching/replacing in directories : your sources comments (and code) will no longer have their encoding destroyed !
    * Workspace : It now exists a concept of "contexts", each context can have it's own actions and custom layouts. Currently, only "Quick File Access" option and ClassBrowser are using it.
    * Qt Designer plugin : now follow the QtCreator designing ui : there is no longer mdi area for all open forms. A LegacyDesigner namespace has been created to allow minimal back port for Qt 4.4.x. Previewing & Printing now support custom styles.
    * Project Manager : no longer ask for an operator while adding existing/creating files !
    * Editor : the current line/column is restored while reloading a file.

And a lot of fixed bugs, see the ChangeLog for more infos.
    More informations on http://monkeystudio.org