Thread: Model/View framework, delegate: don't close editor while it contains invalid value

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Model/View framework, delegate: don't close editor while it contains invalid value

Dear friends,

Is it possible to obtain the next behavior?

- user starts editing view's cell;
    - when he/she finishes, delegate (or who?) checks is the new value is correct;
    -- if YES: save data to model;
    -- if NO: show message box "Data is invalid" and leave editor and the focus in it so user could fix the value at the same moment.

I tried to use event filter installed on the editor (created by delegate::createEditor()) by handling FocusOut events, but when user clicks the other cell in the view the current editor gets closed anyway and one creates new editor for the clicked cell.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Model/View framework, delegate: don't close editor while it contains invalid valu

Yes, it is possible.

You need have sub-class of QItemDelegate, and your data validation need to go into implementation of QItemDelegate::setModelData(), where the data has to be written to the model, you can validate and throw Model dialogs from there.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Model/View framework, delegate: don't close editor while it contains invalid valu

Quote Originally Posted by Santosh Reddy View Post
    Yes, it is possible.

You need have sub-class of QItemDelegate, and your data validation need to go into implementation of QItemDelegate::setModelData(), where the data has to be written to the model, you can validate and throw Model dialogs from there.
    But how can I prevent current editor from being closed? I want user to continue editing after he closes the "error" dialog.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Try QAbstractItemDelegate::editorEvent() to handle event from view

I tried to use event filter installed on the editor (created by delegate::createEditor()) by handling FocusOut events, but when user clicks the other cell in the view the current editor gets closed anyway and one creates new editor for the clicked cell.
    I think you should handle QEvent::Close for the editor widget.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by stillwaiting View Post
    But how can I prevent current editor from being closed? I want user to continue editing after he closes the "error" dialog.
    So reopen the editor instead of trying to make it remain open.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    So reopen the editor instead of trying to make it remain open.
    wysota,

Do you think it is possible to start editor from a delegate? I guess only view has a control to start edting

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

So pass the pointer to the view to the delegate. Besides, the delegate has a pointer to the view but it is hidden in the docs because it is easy to abuse it.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Unhappy Re: Model/View framework, delegate: don't close editor while it contains invalid valu

Try QAbstractItemDelegate::editorEvent() to handle event from view

I think you should handle QEvent::Close for the editor widget.
    Thank you for you suggestions but... no success when I clicks the other cell one closes the current editor and shows the new one.

I implemented the workaround by installing the event filter on "QApplication::instance()": when value is not valid then the filter blocks mouse and keyboard events which can change the focus (MouseClick, KeyUp, KeyDown, KeyTab etc) and shows error dialog.

Looks like ugly hack but that's the best idea I had.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

The documentation says

void QAbstractItemDelegate::closeEditor ( QWidget * editor, QAbstractItemDelegate::EndEditHint hint = NoHint ) [signal]
    This signal is emitted when the user has finished editing an item using the specified editor.
    The hint provides a way for the delegate to influence how the model and view behave after editing is completed. It indicates to these components what action should be performed next to provide a comfortable editing experience for the user. For example, if EditNextItem is specified, the view should use a delegate to open an editor on the next item in the model.
    which means that signal to close to editor is emitted by the QAbstractItemDelegate (base class), we don't have any control over this, basically we cannot stop editor being closed from delegate, unless we block all signals from the delegate which is not practical

another way (other than event filtering) would be to send a signal to the QAbstractItemView::edit () slot of the view to restart the editor (after validating the data)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

another way (other than event filtering) would be to send a signal to the QAbstractItemView::edit () slot of the view to restart the editor (after validating the data)
    That's exactly what I meant.

11. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

oberlus (21st September 2011)