Thread: Create a skin for Command Prompt

Default Create a skin for Command Prompt

Hello,

I'm actually wondering if there is a similar application as Command Prompt (cmd.exe in Windows), but with some cooler (graphical) style?

Something like this:

Anyway, is this possible to make this with QT Designer? I was thinking of something like making a skin for Command Prompt, then e.g. write myskin.exe xcopy C:\test C:\ in cmd to call the commands in my own skin (or window if you like).

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Create a skin for Command Prompt

Quote Originally Posted by Jh_ View Post
    Anyway, is this possible to make this with QT Designer?
    Qt Designer is just a designer, you can't code in it, but should be doable with Qt (you'll need QProcess to communicate with cmd.exe).

Question Re: Create a skin for Command Prompt

Quote Originally Posted by jacek View Post
    Qt Designer is just a designer, you can't code in it, but should be doable with Qt (you'll need QProcess to communicate with cmd.exe).
    I see, havent really used QT Designer myself. I'm just considering if it's worth paying someone to create this, if it doesnt already exists (What do you think?)
    But I'm just curious, do you think you would have had to re-create the standard cmd.exe itself, and then implement it with your GUI? Or would it be possible to implement the standard cmd.exe with your own GUI some way?

Thanks for the answere by the way

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by Jh_ View Post
    But I'm just curious, do you think you would have had to re-create the standard cmd.exe itself, and then implement it with your GUI? Or would it be possible to implement the standard cmd.exe with your own GUI some way?
    You would spawn and attach to cmd.exe instance from within your gui application and "talk" to it (send it some commands and fetch output from it).

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    You would spawn and attach to cmd.exe instance from within your gui application and "talk" to it (send it some commands and fetch output from it).
    Ah, it shouln't be so hard then (Am I right? )

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

No, it shouldn't. Of course it depends what you intend to do with it.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Yes, I know old thread, but as further input, you can include <stdio.h> and <stdlib.h> and use the system() command which is basically what cmd.exe does. Design a command prompt with designer, and then connect your chat box to the system command. Then print the results by connecting to the console window.

It's quite difficult, I would think, unless you do what these guys are saying and use like a communication protocol through windows with cmd.exe.

However, my question is how do we make stylesheets or whatever, to skin a program?
    I hope I won't have to edit every control with like QPainter or something. I been looking at the Style and StyleSheet tutorial, but since they don't explain what things like .qss .qrc do, I cannot tell how to do it. Is there a simpler example?
    Last edited by VireX; 19th March 2007 at 02:31.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

If your question is different then why do you ask it in this thread?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Because, obviously I am asking about skinning, which is the TOPIC of this thread, so instead of wasting space and making a completely new thread; I chose to write it in the same thread where if someone had found it, they would find the answer to this question also and it would help many people out. Anyway, regardless, I already figured out the answer in the docs...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by VireX View Post
    Because, obviously I am asking about skinning, which is the TOPIC of this thread, so instead of wasting space and making a completely new thread; I chose to write it in the same thread where if someone had found it, they would find the answer to this question also and it would help many people out. Anyway, regardless, I already figured out the answer in the docs...
    Actually this thread is about creating a GUI for a cmd.exe. IMO "wrapper" would be a more appropriate word than "skin", but certainly it doesn't have anything to do with skins and stylesheets.

We believe that it is better to have a single thread for each problem, than mixing several loosely connected problems in one thread, so unless you have exactly the same problem, please, post it in a new thread (you can always add a link to original thread: "I have a simmilar problem that was discussed in this thread, but what I'm trying to do is...").

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Considering that this is the ONLY SINGLE topic that comes up when searching for skinning... and it had it in the title, and if someone didn't know about stylesheets or styles that I recently learned about, they would say this is the only thread directly connected with stylesheets.

Next time, I will post a new thread, you guys don't have to be so pissed off about it.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

We're not pissed off. We just want to keep it clean here and we want you to understand why. Under other circumstances we'd probably split the thread and don't even bother you, but we can't do it without changing the contents of your post (otherwise the post won't make sense).